Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 05:04:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alpha release of bitcoinpaperwallet.com with BIP38, QR code scanning, dice, etc.  (Read 3156 times)
canton (OP)

Activity: 261
Merit: 285

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 05:14:22 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2014, 05:39:33 PM by canton

Hello,

I would love any feedback or especially help testing the forthcoming update to bitcoinpaperwallet.com which adds:

• BIP38 encrypted wallet generation (AT LAST!) Smiley
  • webcam QR code scanner (for verifying, duplicating, or converting non-BIP38 wallets to BIP38)
  • a "validate" section for decrypting BIP38, re-printing a wallet using an existing key, or just checking the validity of a wallet
  • ability to generate printed backup of a 'brain wallet'
  • ability (and good instructions) for generating keys using six-sided dice or shuffling a deck of playing cards
  • improved entropy gathering at startup & entropy visualizer
  • fix for serious Safari 6.05 BIP38 bug that still impacts most/all other Javascript BIP38 implementations online

If you find significant bugs/issues I'll gladly heap praise plus some free hologram stickers & wallet making supplies on you. When reporting issues, please specify what browser and operating system you're using. Thanks for your help.

*** Please do not use this online generator for significant amounts of bitcoin as this is an "alpha" release and may have bugs ***

Go here to test:

https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/bitcoinpaperwallet/generate-wallet-bip38.html

Thanks!

- Canton
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bloss

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 09:51:47 PM

I did some deep testing of generating a bunch of encrypted private keys and compared it to another multi-step process that I know that works.  All results were identical!  Well done!
canton (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 11:02:43 PM

I did some deep testing

Thanks. I really appreciate it...
canton (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2014, 07:08:01 PM

Okay, the code has been significantly revised, especially with regards to the user interface. Very pretty entropy collection interface, and great instructions for rolling dice, cards, BIP38... Also works for IOS now.

https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/bitcoinpaperwallet/generate-wallet-bip38.html

Happy for any feedback as soon this will be making its way to the live website *and the Ubuntu Live CD*, after which point changes will be a little more laborious.

drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 09:03:35 PM

You da man, Canton!

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
canton (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 02:47:02 AM

You da man, Canton!

THANKS! ... but, not looking for back-slapping hi-fives here Smiley I want some folks to roll up their sleeves and Break That Shit. Go make a test wallet, BIP38 encrypt it, make sure you can decrypt it on a different browser on a different service... Try using totally weird characters like ɔn⡍⠜⠇⠑⠹ŠŸ and see if BIP encrypting works...

Seriously, thanks for the nice words too. But let's flex this thing so we don't end up with another bug like the Safari 6.05 bug that's *still* corrupting BIP38 wallets on other javascript services.
canton (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 05:39:41 PM

FYI, this release is out of alpha and now public:

Live generator:
https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/bitcoinpaperwallet/generate-wallet.html

Github ZIP:
https://github.com/cantonbecker/bitcoinpaperwallet/archive/master.zip

And there's a new FAQ on a few important topics, including the newly updated custom Ubuntu LiveCD with BIP38, QR code scanning, etc.
https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/bip38-password-encrypted-wallets/

vm_mpn

Activity: 605

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 02:42:54 AM

It looks nice C... Post it to Hashswap.com - under Markets / Storage and Wallets,  or Community Hub / Project development.

Vadim
canton (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 03:00:03 AM

It looks nice C... Post it to Hashswap.com - under Markets / Storage and Wallets,  or Community Hub / Project development.
Okay. Nice site, Vadim.

http://hashswap.com/index.php?page=search&sCategory=20
vm_mpn

Activity: 605

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:58:33 PM

Thanks for posting your project C... Hope this will help with exposure a bit.
madmat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 02:33:04 PM

Hi Canton, I really like your work.

I would like to print a paper wallet with following features :
 - BIP38
 - passphrase shared with Shamir secret sharing scheme.

For example, if you want 3 shares with a threshold of 2, you get three papers, and on each of one, you get the bitcoin address, the bip38 encoded private key, and passphrase share. This means 3 qrcodes on each paper.

Do you thing you should add this feature or do i have to do it myself ?
canton (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 02:03:30 PM

- passphrase shared with Shamir secret sharing scheme.
Do you thing you should add this feature or do i have to do it myself ?

Hi,

Sorry but at the moment I'm not planning on adding SSS, so it will be up to you. The reason is that with SSS, the tri-fold tamper-evident design I output is kind of overkill. For SSS, regular slips of paper should work fine -- no need for such a fancy design.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: