Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 10:13:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Too late for joining Bitcoin, which altcoin is best?  (Read 5476 times)
bnrrpayments (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:49:37 AM

MaxCoin? DogeCoin? NameCoin? LiteCoin? NovaCoin? FeatherCoin? PeerCoin? Some other coin?
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:51:08 AM

Not too late. Things are just getting started.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
Eddy Wally

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:53:40 AM

Smartcoin.
Brand new coin! Only 1 week old.
bnrrpayments (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:54:28 AM

I still don't feel like paying hundreds for something I could recently get for a dollar. So what are my best altcoin options?
chessnut
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:55:12 AM

MaxCoin? DogeCoin? NameCoin? LiteCoin? NovaCoin? FeatherCoin? PeerCoin? Some other coin?

That kind of psychology is going to lose you money. the price is high for a good reason, because the prospects for bitcoin are much clearer than other alt coins. the network effect will leave the alts in the dust.
you must have bitcoin if you invest into crypto currencies - but maybe wait a while first.
I also have some litecoin to be diverse. litecoin is one of the most capitalised beside bitcoin and is likely to replace it if something were to happen to the bitcoin system (not likely)

chessnut
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:57:45 AM

I still don't feel like paying hundreds for something I could recently get for a dollar. So what are my best altcoin options?

you must understand that any crypto is in fact worthless if it not going to survive in the long run. the world only needs one crypto. maybe 3-4 will survive. chances are bitcoin will survive and be the top dog. dogecoin..... maybe not.

Dalmar

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:58:02 AM

Stay away from most of them. Their value is merely based on bored/greedy BTC hodlers who try to get higher gains.

People call bitcoin a bubble, but these altcoins take it to a whole nother level.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:02:22 AM

People said this in the summer when it was $100.  People said this in 2012 when it was $10.  People even said this in early 2011 when it was $1. 

The upside to bitcoin is $100,000+.  Each day that it survives, the probability of it realizing this potential increases.  It is still very early.... 

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:03:34 AM

Smartcoin.
Brand new coin! Only 1 week old.

With a nice, large premine. Wink

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:04:38 AM

Don't be a fool. The price is determined by supply and demand, the entire world population is the target demographic, and there is less than a tenth of a percent that use it right now. Bitcoin is going to become worth at least a hundred times what it is now within years. You won't find anything with a similar ROI.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:07:18 AM

Too late?  Did you read the article that came out today about how most people have not heard of Bitcoin yet? http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/02/05/most-people-still-dont-know-what-bitcoin-is-and-dont-care-to-know/

This is still in the early adoption phase, regardless of how it feels to us that are involved with it!  

Sure you can speculate with altcoins for the fun of it though.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Dalmar

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:10:17 AM

Don't be a fool. The price is determined by supply and demand, the entire world population is the target demographic, and there is less than a tenth of a percent that use it right now. Bitcoin is going to become worth at least a hundred times what it is now within years. You won't find anything with a similar ROI.

Bitcoin is too anarcho-libertarian/cultist to go mainstream. Most of the elites already mock it and don't fear it. IMO, some Ripple/Ethereum sanitized variant of bitcoin that is friendly to regulators and banks will actually become the global crypto of choice. Nevertheless, meanwhile I will of course ride the various BTC waves untill its demise.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..
MonadTran

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:11:12 AM

As soon as you feel any of them adds some value on top of what Bitcoin currently offers, investing a little bit might be a good idea. Otherwise, it is pure gambling, I personally would stick to the most stable and well-known solution (which is Bitcoin). Maybe a couple of most stable solutions (+ LiteCoin), just in case. Then find some other decent idea to invest in. A Bitcoin startup, maybe, or something outside of the realm of cryptocurrencies.

Namecoin might offer a bit of something, but is it going to catch up? I have no idea, Tor hidden services, or i2p, or whatever comes next, might replace it before it gains any momentum.
bnrrpayments (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:14:24 AM

Too late?  Did you read the article that came out today about how most people have not heard of Bitcoin yet? [Suspicious link removed]j.com/moneybeat/2014/02/05/most-people-still-dont-know-what-bitcoin-is-and-dont-care-to-know/

This is still in the early adoption phase, regardless of how it feels to us that are involved with it!  

I am only in it for speculation, credit cards are more convenient for payments. I need a crypto where I could get in early and speculate the hell out of it, like the early Bitcoin adopters did. What is my best shot?
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:15:59 AM
Last edit: February 06, 2014, 03:27:45 AM by NamelessOne

NXT is a fascinating and innovative new crypto. It is second generation completely new code rather than a simple twist on Bitcoins code. Some people have issues with how the original IPO was handled, but overall its distribution is slightly better than Bitcoin's at this point. Read up on it, it has quite a few interesting features.
chessnut
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:18:05 AM

Bitcoin is too anarcho-libertarian/cultist to go mainstream. Most of the elites already mock it and don't fear it. IMO, some Ripple/Ethereum sanitized variant of bitcoin that is friendly to regulators and banks will actually become the global crypto of choice. Nevertheless, meanwhile I will of course ride the various BTC waves untill its demise.

are you talking about the bitcoin community or bitcoin itself?
bitcoin is the friendliest form of decentralised currency. you can track transactions on the public ledger.
either a crypto will replace it and become similarly anarcho liberitarian, or bitcoin will succeed.
the only alternative is that a centralised crypto will be formed, and of coarse that will flop.

bnrrpayments (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:19:16 AM

NXT is a fascinating and innovative new crypo. It is second generation completely new code rather than a simple twist on Bitcoins code. Some people have issues with how the original IPO was handled, but overall its distribution is slightly better than Bitcoin's at this point. Read up on it, it has quite a few interesting features.
Yes, the features are what I need to tout it later to punters and boost the hype. What are some other good selling points for a crypto?
chessnut
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:21:49 AM

Too late?  Did you read the article that came out today about how most people have not heard of Bitcoin yet? [Suspicious link removed]j.com/moneybeat/2014/02/05/most-people-still-dont-know-what-bitcoin-is-and-dont-care-to-know/

I am only in it for speculation, credit cards are more convenient for payments. I need a crypto where I could get in early and speculate the hell out of it, like the early Bitcoin adopters did. What is my best shot?

sorry thats a paradox. the reason they are cheap is because they are highly likely to fail in bitcoins shadow. if you dive into a cheap crypto, you will only get what you paid for. As a speculator you should also not be afraid of big numbers because they really dont mean much when you have an asset that has doubled in value 16 times.

jzcjca00

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:25:53 AM

Bitcoin is higher priced because people believe it is MUCH more likely to survive.  Remember, cheap has two meanings: low cost and low value.  The altcoins are worth less because they are more likely to become worthless in the long run.

If you absolutely must have low priced coins, your best choice is millibitcoins.  They are still under $1 right now.  There will only ever be 2.1E10 mBTC, with the world population of 7E9, which means someday the average person in the world will have 3 mBTC.  If you buy 300 mBTC and hold until mass adoption, you will have 100 times the wealth of the average person.

Another excellent coin is the satoshi.  You can get 125,000 for $1 right now!  What an awesome deal!

Tips much appreciated! 1PPJHDawPvjh6MEzsvXrMYLgpLmyAaNXUc
bnrrpayments (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:26:53 AM

sorry thats a paradox. the reason they are cheap is because they are highly likely to fail in bitcoins shadow. if you dive into a cheap crypto, you will only get what you paid for. As a speculator you should also not be afraid of big numbers because they really dont mean much when you have an asset that has doubled in value 16 times.
That's why I feel it's already too later to get into Bitcoin, with its current daily volumes having dramatically fallen. Bitcoin itself has been in the shadow of precious metals and national currencies just like the other cryptos have been in the shadow of Bitcoin. With some proper marketing and touting at offline conferences, any altcoin has a good chance to pyramid sufficient Bitcoin-like hype - LiteCoin being one successful example.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: