Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:21:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt.Gox SCAM? $38million disappeared. Large sums affected.  (Read 38093 times)
Crypto Currency!

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 06:06:59 AM

This is very confusing, rate is keep dropping Sad

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kava_Kauboi

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:13:44 AM

Gox reinstated my withdrawal capabilities a few hours ago after asking for AML verification paperwork that i gave them years ago. Blamed it on bitinstant arrest. Price crashed within minutes of my account being reinstated. I tried to withdraw 1 btc as a test. Several hours later and still not on blockchain. Fiat and btc now stuck. Hope Gox fixes this if it is fixable.
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:16:22 AM

Hopefully gox can fade away without having a huge impact on the value of bitcoin.  Gox is simply too problematic and it's long overdue for poor servicing bitcoin companies to fade away.  Of course if gox improves the way they service customers then I'm fine if the stick around,  not happy about how many people still use gox though when it's clear gox is ran and managed pretty horribly.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:17:15 AM

Hope Gox fixes this if it is fixable.

They've got their entire IT department on it!

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:21:50 AM

Hope Gox fixes this if it is fixable.

They've got their entire IT department on it!

Hahah! 

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
Jeezy911

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:26:13 AM

Everything is looking so scammish lately, even projects that seem so legit. Cryptsy, scharmbeck, now gox. Seriously this kind of shit will kill crypto.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:30:52 AM

just got off IRC with Karpeles.

it's a technical glitch, not insolvency.  they're still working to fix it.
Nathonas

Activity: 280

Knowledge is Power

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 06:34:57 AM
Last edit: February 06, 2014, 06:53:43 AM by Nathonas

Everything is looking so scammish lately, even projects that seem so legit. Cryptsy, scharmbeck, now gox. Seriously this kind of shit will kill crypto.

That's a little bit pessimistic. Most alt coins are pretty much scam land, I'll give you that but... Crypsty hasn't scammed people to my knowledge, just a lot of problems with that website (remember when you could withdraw 10 btc or whatever that you didn't even have?). Gox never scammed people, their website just has some technical problems sometimes.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
bitdude

Activity: 277
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:43:09 AM

I am not sure this is a good time to "try" to withdraw. You are likely to enter an undefined state with your coins. I will wait.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:43:37 AM

That's a little bit pessimistic. Most alt coins are pretty much scam land already. Crypsty hasn't scammed people to my knowledge, just a lot of problems with that website (remember when you could withdraw 10 btc or whatever that you didn't even have?). Gox never scammed people, their website just has some technical problems sometimes.

yes, Karpeles has never stolen from anyone.

in fact, he's covered ppl's losses from his own funds when he was responsible for destroyed coins from his coding errors.  he's always fixed the problems and security has been impeccable since 2011.

he'll get this one fixed too.
Jeezy911

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:50:05 AM

Banks are the enemy right? Imagine if you walked into a bank and they said "sorry no withdraws our system is down until who knows when". And then it started happening at a lot of banks, and certain banks would just vanish after you deposited your money would you still have faith in the banking system? Its a big deal.

RandyMagnum

Activity: 662

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 07:02:48 AM

just got off IRC with Karpeles.

it's a technical glitch, not insolvency.  they're still working to fix it.

Shame you didn't snatch a screencap, but I'm inclined to believe this is the most likely case in any event.
papamoi

Activity: 378

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 08:13:40 AM

That's a little bit pessimistic. Most alt coins are pretty much scam land already. Crypsty hasn't scammed people to my knowledge, just a lot of problems with that website (remember when you could withdraw 10 btc or whatever that you didn't even have?). Gox never scammed people, their website just has some technical problems sometimes.

yes, Karpeles has never stolen from anyone.

in fact, he's covered ppl's losses from his own funds when he was responsible for destroyed coins from his coding errors.  he's always fixed the problems and security has been impeccable since 2011.

he'll get this one fixed too.

HI cypherdoc,

How about the fiat withdrawal he never paid?

we are waiting our money since 4 months now and despite promising us to pay quickly if we pay 5% ,we did accept this and even with this rackettering ,no trace of our money

so can you help on this doc?
Xendrios

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 08:38:41 AM

A company unable to pay up when it's asked to is insolvent.

MtGox has all thesame symptoms of a bankrun. And we all know the banks run a 'fractional reserve', this means a run on the bank is an dangerous thing.

MtGox in theory shouldn't be a 'fractional reserve' system, but it clearly is.

First it lacked fiat, so it started delaying fiat payments, blaming it on the banks.
Then it started to lack even fiat, so it started selling bitcoins of users to get fiat. (Why do you think price has been stable for a while now even though there's been lots of good news)
Now it lacks bitcoins so it delays bitcoin transfers and blames a technical glitch.

One has to be really blind to not see this unfolding for over half a year already.
I got out my bitcoins as soon as my transfers took a month instead of a day.

Now everyone left is holding the bag...

The numbers in the accounts are all fake, fictional numbers.

It's sad that our brilliant bitcoin has soo many criminals around...

Sell or buy items at bitcoin247sales.com - flatrate fees - cheapest around!
Post feedback at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=328169.0
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 08:47:43 AM

DISCLOSURE
The author is personally affected by MtGox’ behavior, having a six-figure dollar amount in such non-executed withdrawals. He considered Gox to be a safer repository for bitcoin than his own probably-hackable computer. That judgment may not have been accurate.

Let me guess he is running Microsoft Windows on his computer. When will people learn that installing GNU/Linux on one's computer and using such computer to store one's bitcoin is a far safer option than storing bitcoin on an exchange.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Lucky Cris

Activity: 280

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 08:49:25 AM

It's sad that our brilliant bitcoin has soo many criminals around...

Unfortunately it is.

phrackage

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 08:52:11 AM

Banks are the enemy right? Imagine if you walked into a bank and they said "sorry no withdraws our system is down until who knows when". And then it started happening at a lot of banks, and certain banks would just vanish after you deposited your money would you still have faith in the banking system? Its a big deal.

This has happened many times in history actually.
dharmapuriharithaa

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 08:52:57 AM

38 million is huge money. I think govt will get involved soon restrict bitcoin.

daserpent1 (OP)

Activity: 435

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 08:55:56 AM

2 police cases have been registered against mtgox already by some big btc holders. I dont think this is going to end well.
donate2me

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:22:40 AM

This is a classic PONZI scheme.  Don't listen to these idiots on this forum pumping the shit out of bitcoin.  Google "pump and dump". Realistically you are talking about cyber money. You may as well kiss your money goodbye.  Why the f- would the winklevoss guys come out and say they own a grip of bitcoin.... So the rest of you morons buy buy buy and drive the price to 1200.  I feel bad for all of you that put your savings and hard earned money into Monopoly money.  It will collapse soon.  And guess who won't have a bitcoin in their wallet ---- you guesses it... The winklevoss twins, laughing all the way to the bank with your money.  Any website that used to be for trading magic cards is definently a scam!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: