Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:32:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: LEAKED - Latest status on forum software  (Read 4537 times)
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 10:38:50 PM

Satoshi claimed to be Japanese, this Wang guy is rather Chinese.

Might be TradeFortress again not Satoshi   Cheesy

i would lol so hard if it was TF.
That'd almost be worth it just for the historical level of ridiculousness. I'd fully support this progression of events.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 08:17:17 PM

Yay, the developer's a node.js guy. \o/

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 08:59:38 PM

nobody picked up on his play on bangbus? wangbus?

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 12:06:42 AM

Normal websites only have to worry about automated vulnerability scanners, weak admin passwords and common misconfigurations when it comes to security.

BitcoinTalk.org is in a different kind of situation. It is in the cross-fire of cyber-warfare. Plenty of malicious hackers use this website for nefarious and non-nefarious reasons. It is likely to be the target of 0day exploits. Anything that runs on BitcoinTalk.org needs to be battle-hardened. We should be running OLD software that is known to be highly secure and stable. 3 year old web servers are a definite no go. We should be using 30 year old web server software. Some hacker would be browsing the forums one day, accidentally break something some hipster wrote yesterday and then realize they've just found a 0day in node.js and decide to own the forum.
In our defence, Node.js is used by big companies like Wal-mart and PayPal, so we won't be alone when a vulnerability is found. Also, I'm sure that our Google-level security bounties will help persuade people against attacking us maliciously.

That being said, I wasn't party to the negotiations, so I have no idea what language the forum will be built in.

Wtf kind of shit is this, building a software studio for one fucking forum
Well, when you have a few million dollars just sitting around, you might as well. Seriously, we're making enough money that we can support a dedicated full-time development team indefinitely, if we wanted to.

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 12:10:41 AM
Last edit: February 24, 2014, 04:54:00 PM by bitpop

dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 01:52:05 PM

nobody picked up on his play on bangbus? wangbus?

This is the first thing that came into my mind.. Grin Grin

Wondering, if this is only a coincidence or has something to do with Matthew N. Wright's in the meantime deleted Reddit post (mirror).

thecoinjournal

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 02:31:02 PM

For $350K I can do the whole forum, and in less than a year. Also what happen to people that had to build the most of the forum software and show it to the community thread? Theymos we need answers and now.

Thank you leak, you did this community a service!

For $350K Chinese programmers can build a whole forum in a week Cheesy

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 02:36:56 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2014, 04:48:29 PM by bitpop

hjbuell

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Writer $0.10/word +

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 02:42:50 PM

FFS people - not that I'm a long time member or anything, but $350,000 for forums? Is that a joke? Are we reinventing the wheel here, or just rediscovering electricity? You could freaking hire a team of MIT students for less to build a state of the art forum on new tech, meanwhile leveraging MIT and the international exposure that would bring. Better end product, and huge free advertising.

Instead you choose WangBus? I guess it's good to be friends with whomever runs these forums, but this is all I need to see as a user to never, ever donate even 1SAT to these forums. That's just a crazy (and irresponsible) use of funds. No one needs that kind of cash to build a forum - no matter what you plan to do with the forum. Everywhere you look, there are better solutions that have already been developed and work just fine.

Anyway - your party. I'm glad I didn't donate, because supporting another man's 'Wanger' just isn't my cup of tea. Of course, you're welcome to all the tea bagging and wangs you can fit in your mouth, or wherever else they're being put for that $350,000.

Cheesy

Being different is all it takes to make a difference. H. J. Buell
Writer from $0.10 per word. https://hjbuell.com
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 04:58:09 PM
Last edit: February 19, 2014, 04:28:14 AM by TECSHARE

I am sure many moderators and staff around here know me as a large pain in the ass, but for once I have to support Theymos on this. You expect him to run a secure forum for a multibillion dollar industry but spend not spend big bucks? As long he is not compromising on security or privacy I think this is a great idea and I hope it gets done ASAP. (PS please don't force us to use Google services for stuff like captcha etc, there are very few free places left where their tentacles don't reach)
Morbo

Activity: 115
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 05:08:31 PM

You expect him to run a secure forum for a multibillion dollar industry but spend not spend big bucks?

This is A Bitcoin forum, not THE Bitcoin forum.

http://drunkyoda.tk/ - Bitcoin blog by newbie for newbies (no ads, no reflinks, no donation begging)
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 05:53:58 PM

You expect him to run a secure forum for a multibillion dollar industry but spend not spend big bucks?
De facto, it is.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Morbo

Activity: 115

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 07:36:18 PM

De facto, it is.

Anytime a complaint arises, there's someone who emphasizes that this is just a forum, not the forum. See the access over tor thread for example.

http://drunkyoda.tk/ - Bitcoin blog by newbie for newbies (no ads, no reflinks, no donation begging)
Wangbus

Activity: 110

Principal Software Engineer

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 03:51:54 AM

Cmon man ask me anything on this forum pls. No need to do any hunting. What do you guys want to know?
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 03:54:21 AM

Cmon man ask me anything on this forum pls. No need to do any hunting. What do you guys want to know?

See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=455867.msg5112964#msg5112964
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 03:59:17 AM
Last edit: February 24, 2014, 04:23:41 PM by bitpop

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 05:08:43 AM

This would be good news actually. Honestly, nothing would get done if this had to be discussed endlessly in the community, hiring a professional studio may actually get it done.

it is not a professional studio. they dont even have a website, or people who work for them.

that $350,000 is to help them start one so they can start on the project.

i just wonder how much this will end up costing and if we end up with anything.

What if the $350K was put in escrow via John K., paid out once the task is completed?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 05:18:02 AM

that is true  Wink

"Did you know that I have the most posts on goattalk.org."
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 05:34:47 AM

This would be good news actually. Honestly, nothing would get done if this had to be discussed endlessly in the community, hiring a professional studio may actually get it done.

it is not a professional studio. they dont even have a website, or people who work for them.

that $350,000 is to help them start one so they can start on the project.

i just wonder how much this will end up costing and if we end up with anything.

What if the $350K was put in escrow via John K., paid out once the task is completed?

It is $1,000,000 plus now, but this "firm" is not able to do the work with out being able to hire staff and workers. I doubt they would trust that escrow anyway.

Why not! He vetted Matt Carson, the first ever double vetted person in all of BitcoinLand.

BTW, I just learnt that MNW deleted his Reddit post. Odd!
augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 03:56:55 PM

Why not! He vetted Matt Carson, the first ever double vetted person in all of BitcoinLand.

BTW, I just learnt that MNW deleted his Reddit post. Odd!

Who vetted Matt Carson and who is Matt Carson?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: