Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 11:04:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone 5 phones destroyed in protest against Apple's anti-Bitcoin actions  (Read 9751 times)
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:23:31 PM

People! Stop supporting financial terrorists with your video terrorism! Just imagine how terrorised Apple must be right now. When someone, anyone, calls the "T" word you have to stop or go to financial Guantanamo*.

*IF you have anything dirty on financial CIA you get shot and thrown into the financial sea instead.

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 06:24:01 PM

The only message which is being sent is that Bitcoin had attracted a bunch of fanatical idiots which could care less for the money wasted in the stunt. That will give more and more reasons to Apple distance itself from anything related to Bitcoin. I am sure some important decision making people inside Apple will even interpret that as attempt of financial terrorism.

I think it's fucking hilarious. Anyone taking it seriously (from either side) needs to relax more! Financial terrorism... LOL! Smiley

I am relaxed!

Cheesy

But that do not change the fact that such stunt is not going to convince a company like Apple to comply with everything a bunch of fanatical idiots require.

Lol why's it about them?? It's the ability for us to practice our freedom in a tangible form.

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:24:59 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2014, 07:59:08 PM by Peter R

The only message which is being sent is that Bitcoin had attracted a bunch of fanatical idiots which could care less for the money wasted in the stunt. That will give more and more reasons to Apple distance itself from anything related to Bitcoin. I am sure some important decision making people inside Apple will even interpret that as attempt of financial terrorism.

I think it's fucking hilarious. Anyone taking it seriously (from either side) needs to relax more! Financial terrorism... LOL! Smiley

I am relaxed!

Cheesy

But that do not change the fact that such stunt is not going to convince a company like Apple to comply with everything a bunch of fanatical idiots require.

No but it gets people's attention and, you must admit, it's pretty humorous.  

Anti-fragility and all that...

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:25:35 PM

I wonder why is it so hard to just NOT BUY APPLE PRODUCTS  Undecided

Destroy iphones? Is this a joke? Why don't you just buy something else? Something better?  Undecided It looks like someone is pointing a gun to you and ordering you "buy apple products"

financial terrorism
Yeah sure now breaking a phone is terrorism.  Roll Eyes

Such stunt could be interpreted as attempt to terrorize Apple to list Bitcoin wallet applications against their will. Perhaps I used the wrong words?
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:34:49 PM

Well terrorism=something illegal, so it looked like breaking phones and protesting in this way would be illegal.

augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:40:00 PM

Lol why's it about them?? It's the ability for us to practice our freedom in a tangible form.

Yeah, I agree with that. I am all for freedom of expression. However, such stunt is not an attempt of freedom of expression. There was a person sponsoring people to destroy Apple products. This is an organized attempt to terrorize Apple to accept something against their will.

If people think they are entitled to do whatever they want, why is not Apple entitled to do whatever they want as well?
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:53:24 PM

Yeah, I agree with that. I am all for freedom of expression. However, such stunt is not an attempt of freedom of expression. There was a person sponsoring people to destroy Apple products. This is an organized attempt to terrorize Apple to accept something against their will.

If people think they are entitled to do whatever they want, why is not Apple entitled to do whatever they want as well?

I doubt these people are doing this in an attempt to get Apple to accept anything against their will (and if they are, I think it's a lost cause). I think they are just saying, "Look, we are sick of Apple." My only question to them is, "What took you so long?" Wink

If the guy was paying people to destroy Apple products which didn't belong to them, then there would certainly be a problem.

Of course, Apple is entitled to do whatever they want with their products, which I'm sure they will continue to do!

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
rotalumis (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 07:57:52 PM

Apple already does what it wants, which (like any corporation out there) is what it thinks will maximize its profits. Thanks to some ingenious marketing that has built it a very loyal fanbase, Apple is able to ignore its customers' best interest by selling them crippled products at higher prices, just because they are "cool" to own. Their strategy is not to give customers the best value when they buy an Apple product, but to lock them inside the Apple ecosystem by creating devices that don't play well with others and using other anti-competitive measures, including banning Bitcoin, which they see as a threat to the status quo.

Isn't that a strong parallel with the banking and other cartels that Bitcoin is up against? What would you say if someone paid the expenses for a bunch of people who otherwise might not afford to destroy their credit cards, close their bank accounts and switch to Bitcoin, and did that publicly to raise awareness? I think that's a legitimate course of action that does not directly harm the big guys, but might make them stop and think if they perceive a threat to their profit margin.

TL;DR Apple is not "terrorized" by broken phones, but negative attention and the threat of lost business is what could make them rethink their strategy, and that's one of the few ways (and a legitimate one) for a small group of customers to try to influence a huge corporation.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 07:58:00 PM

At the end of the day, Apple doesn't really care that a few of their phones got destroyed in creative ways that were already paid for.   To be honest, they are probably amused by it and are probably passing around the videos laughing...
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 08:12:53 PM

NEW VIDEO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuQZTAJ2KLk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Piss in your pants faggot Apple

roxtar

Activity: 30

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 08:53:44 PM

There's also a "Think Different About Bitcoin" video re-edit contest I'm holding on Reddit. We've already had several people pledge to donate to the winner, with Nic Cary (CEO of Blockchain.info) pledging .5 BTC himself!

Here's the link: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1x6cpd/think_different_about_bitcoin_contest_to_reedit/
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:16:33 PM

I'm sure Apple is just shaking in their boots at the five people that smashed their iphones.

That's about as effective a threatening Theymos with boycotting Bitcointalk for any number of reasons.

~BCX~

It depends on the media coverage that could follow.

Apple is well past its climax - restrictive policy won't pay out. It's no longer cool to have an Apple device.
See stock price.
Denton

Activity: 798
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:21:12 PM

It's just a statement. It says "Fuck you apple, fuck your phone and fuck your store."

FandangledGizmo
Legendary

Activity: 1138

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:25:19 PM

I am relaxed!

Cheesy

I guess you don't know the power of social media.

Apple's demographic is already leaving them after it was revealed the i-phone is really the spy-phone.

The individuals breaking the i-phones aren't going to convince them of anything. But if there is a big audience for this on social media then it actually could influence Apple to stop trying to legislate where they can't innovate.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 09:25:30 PM

Is there a spreadsheet you can direct me to that lists what personal items I need to smash in order to get my way in various situations?

For example:

What do I smash to get out of cleaning my room ?
If you smash your room, you definitely get out of cleaning it.

What do I smash when I wreck my car (by mistake) ?
You need to buy and then smash another car. Then your first car will be made whole. By god.

Most importantly, what personal item do I smash when smashing personal items doesn't work ?

Unfortunately there are no rules or spreadsheets when it comes to smashing things. Sometimes it's just trial and error. I find it best to just go around randomly smashing things, and then just see what happens.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:30:29 PM

Is there a spreadsheet you can direct me to that lists what personal items I need to smash in order to get my way in various situations?

For example:

What do I smash to get out of cleaning my room ?
If you smash your room, you definitely get out of cleaning it.

What do I smash when I wreck my car (by mistake) ?
You need to buy and then smash another car. Then your first car will be made whole. By god.

Most importantly, what personal item do I smash when smashing personal items doesn't work ?

Unfortunately there are no rules or spreadsheets when it comes to smashing things. Sometimes it's just trial and error. I find it best to just go around randomly smashing things, and then just see what happens.

Now I know you're a liar. If you really did go around smashing things in trial and error, there would most certainly be a spreadsheet. And charts.

Wink
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:35:06 PM

Apple is well past its climax - restrictive policy won't pay out. It's no longer cool to have an Apple device.
See stock price.

Quote from: Denton
It's just a statement. It says "Fuck you apple, fuck your phone and fuck your store."

I see this recent move by Apple as pivotal.  Apple can no longer even pretend to be the "bad boy," they are no longer cool.  The videos of young people destroying their iPhones in exchange for free Nexus 5's just adds fuel to the social movement we are witnessing.  

There's a saying that you either die young as a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.  Perhaps this will mark the day that this became true for Apple too.  

“Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward.”Apple, Inc., 1984 ad campaign

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 09:37:14 PM

People! Stop supporting financial terrorists with your video terrorism! Just imagine how terrorised Apple must be right now. When someone, anyone, calls the "T" word you have to stop or go to financial Guantanamo*.
This is not terrorism. I own my phone, I can do with it whatever I want and nobody can stop me. (a plus, I'm not in the US)
This is great, if I had more money I'd definitely do a run like this.
+1 for the project.

Apple has clearly shown their stance towards Bitcoin by removing the app.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
FandangledGizmo
Legendary

Activity: 1138

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:47:04 PM

I see this recent move by Apple as pivotal.  Apple can no longer even pretend to be the "bad boy," they are no longer cool.  The videos of young people destroying their iPhones in exchange for free Nexus 5's just adds fuel to the social movement we are witnessing.  

There's a saying that you either die young as a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.  Perhaps this will mark the day that this became true for Apple too.  

“Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward.”Apple, Inc., 1984 ad campaign

+1 Brilliant.

Back in 1984 Apple were cool.  Now they're trying to makes us live in George Orwell's 1984... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

greyman

Activity: 40

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 09:54:19 PM

I wonder why is it so hard to just NOT BUY APPLE PRODUCTS  Undecided

Destroy iphones? Is this a joke? Why don't you just buy something else? Something better?  Undecided It looks like someone is pointing a gun to you and ordering you "buy apple products"

financial terrorism
Yeah sure now breaking a phone is terrorism.  Roll Eyes

Gabi,
I see it like this: Apple marketed its iPhone product as a smartphone, as a device which will fulfills one's mobile "computational needs". They didn't use such words, but in context of the smartphone market, there is this expectation when buying the device. Now, for many people, basic mobile phone need is to be able to manage one's own crypto-currency wealth. By them not allowing this, they are restricting my ability to handle my crypto-money when I am not at my PC, which can potentially lead to a financial loss for me.

Of course, I can buy something better, but that will mean additional financial burden for me, right? Because I can't sell my 3-year-old iPhone for a price, that will allow me to buy equivalent smartphone from other company. I probably wouldn't buy an iPhone, had I know at that time that they would not allow such an essential functionality 3 years later, but how could I predict that. I am just not so rich so I can buy new smartphone anytime I want, and why should I? I also invested additional money to buy other apps, to their ecosystem, and that would be another loss for me.

To sum it up, I think your argument is valid only for a new smartphone buyer.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: