Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 02:35:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Unofficial Guide] Reporting effectively  (Read 25577 times)
krishnapramod
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 10:43:06 AM

Hey Vod, some other guy + Foxup = You ain't the best Grin...don't get all boobzoned on me Grin...kidding.

Thorough 33 point. With about 2214513 users. Vod's website, active, 1,008,300 users with BCT stat's, it's around 500 registrations daily. Copy/paste, single line/one word/good project/may the project have good achievements in future.

It ain't going to stop, water getting through is more than floodgate can handle, no matter how many are reporting.

Incentive to reporting, read in one of the threads, it ain't a solution, more a disaster.

Bounty managers: We do have a list, but still someone with copper membership can create an ANN thread. Additional restrictions can be put on it. We do have copper, silver, or gold membership. None of these would mean on someone who wants to nitpick the participants.

Restricting bounty payout in Bitcoin/well-know alts, still ain't a solution. If adverting through BCT with Bitcoin or alts gets more in token sale. They would opt for Bitcoin or any cryptocurrency, couple of hundreds more in advertising and still they will get away with a thosands.

Like discussed in other threads, I guess the only solution is upping the rank to have a sig, earn it rather than spam it. The approach shouldn't be the managers, but the participants.

PS: Numbers aren't favor of those who want to get something more better of spam.
Welsh (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 10:56:45 AM

Thorough 33 point. With about 2214513 users. Vod's website, active, 1,008,300 users with BCT stat's, it's around 500 registrations daily. Copy/paste, single line/one word/good project/may the project have good achievements in future.
I used to use Vod's website to see if a user was banned, because he used to collect that information from the modlog. However, since the re parsing of his site I don't think he includes this data anymore. AFAICT anyway.
It ain't going to stop, water getting through is more than floodgate can handle, no matter how many are reporting.
It's not going to stop, but It will definitely result in a cleaner forum than if users were not reporting. I don't expect people to dedicate hours a day to reporting. Just when you see a post which is infringing the guidelines.
Incentive to reporting, read in one of the threads, it ain't a solution, more a disaster.
I considered contacting theymos to see if he would allow me to run a report competition where the top reporters of the month would be rewarded in BTC which would come from my personal stash. However, I dropped the idea due to the abuse which would happen, and the lack of data to verify it which theymos would likely have to supply. I did consider requiring users to include screenshots or reports of their reports including the archive evidence of the post they reported to try, and verify it. Where I could possibly determine whether a user is abusing via alt accounts etc. However, that's entirely subjective, and just isn't a good way to go about it. It's too much of a headache to do.

Although, yes I am against the idea of offering monetary gain/merit to reports due to the abuse. However, if we could eliminate that abuse somehow I wouldn't be against offering some sort of reward. Honestly, I think public stats on reporting which would be optional to toggle on or off would probably be enough incentive for some people.

ArkiCrypto

Activity: 238
Merit: 33

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 11:12:39 AM

Well I tried this already... and I think some of the moderators are a little bit busy just like this Trash

I reported him about posting the same posts in different threads he/she've made.

another thing I spotted a lot of scammers lately in bounty campaigns I already make a report in reputation but I think no one cares about the growing population of the scammers lately. Most of them are alt accounts which I can prove.
Welsh (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 11:17:44 AM

another thing I spotted a lot of scammers lately in bounty campaigns I already make a report in reputation but I think no one cares about the growing population of the scammers lately. Most of them are alt accounts which I can prove.
Scammers/scams are not moderated, and just because someone has a alt account doesn't mean they are breaking the rules. Alternate accounts only come under moderation if they are breaking the guidelines. Especially, if they are ban evading with alternate accounts.  This is absolutely a topic best discussed in reputation.
krishnapramod
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 11:21:58 AM

I considered contacting theymos to see if he would allow me to run a report competition where the top reporters of the month would be rewarded in BTC which would come from my personal stash. However, I dropped the idea due to the abuse which would happen, and the lack of data to verify it which theymos would likely have to supply. I did consider requiring users to include screenshots or reports of their reports including the archive evidence of the post they reported to try, and verify it. Where I could possibly determine whether a user is abusing via alt accounts etc. However, that's entirely subjective, and just isn't a good way to go about it. It's too much of a headache to do.

Although, yes I am against the idea of offering monetary gain/merit to reports due to the abuse. However, if we could eliminate that abuse somehow I wouldn't be against offering some sort of reward. Honestly, I think public stats on reporting which would be optional to toggle on or off would probably be enough incentive for some people.

It's not going to work mate, the incentivizer's and then abuser's would get through within a day, rest of the day, would end up with the greedier. Why? The line between incentive, abuse and greed is thin. It wouldn't work.

theymos has to take a stance. Keep it, Bitcointalk forum or like jetcash mentioned, Bounty Talk Spam Forum. One post reported, twice post has to be reported, thrice comes up...not going to work.
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 11:42:09 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2018, 11:56:47 AM by mdayonliner

I concur that the report field is far from perfect, and the suggestions you made sound great, however it does the job.
It does the job no doubt. My concern is to have a better user experience. Anyway, it's not a big deal yet. I am sure we have other priorities to look at than this like: Better way for account recovery, plagiarism problem, stopping posting bots etc.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
ArkiCrypto

Activity: 238
Merit: 33

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 11:43:48 AM

Scammers/scams are not moderated, and just because someone has a alt account doesn't mean they are breaking the rules. Alternate accounts only come under moderation if they are breaking the guidelines. Especially, if they are ban evading with alternate accounts.  This is absolutely a topic best discussed in reputation.

I think joining all of their alt accounts in the same bounty is against the rule right? All of them are in the same bounty.

But anyways this is a different topic, thanks for your time  Cheesy
TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 03:12:34 PM

Great work,man. I learned a few thing myself.

This post should be pinned, to push more people to report. Mods, please I'm sure I'm not the only one supporting this idea.

crwth
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1256

Try Gunbot for a month go to -> https://gunbot.ph

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2018, 05:27:24 PM

I used to use Vod's website to see if a user was banned, because he used to collect that information from the modlog. However, since the re parsing of his site I don't think he includes this data anymore. AFAICT anyway.
It's not going to stop, but It will definitely result in a cleaner forum than if users were not reporting. I don't expect people to dedicate hours a day to reporting. Just when you see a post which is infringing the guidelines.

I think that’s not a bad idea but it could be a start of something close to that. It could be helpful if a lot of people would collectively verify and then confirm if it’s really worthy of the report/abuse that is happening. It’s definitely a headache but if it’s a team that give effort, why not?

Brand new accounts that have post spam should be easily reported with patrol but with the members with high ranks, those who abuse/spam would be worth reporting. Incentives are not bad, it’s to motivate.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 10800

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2018, 06:39:06 PM

<...>
This post should be pinned, to push more people to report. Mods, please I'm sure I'm not the only one supporting this idea.

I’m all in for it too. It would even be better to have it on the actual Report to Moderator pop-up screen as a link to the guide, being therefore more effective than a pinned post, although I figure we won’t see this happening.
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 08:59:06 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2018, 10:00:11 PM by bitart

I would be happy to see this list as a drop-down list when you hit the report to mod button, it would be quicker to select the spam, scam, reflink, etc. from the dropdown list...
I know people are lazy enough while browsing, if something needs keyboard, they usually skip it unless it's absolutely necessary for them... so reporting with a few clicks (without typing job) could maybe help to have more people to report

EDIT
Just found something interesting:
Archive
Post/Topic:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4524527.0

A few thoughts to inspire debate and discussion on the end of conventional central banking (it is a surprisingly recent historical phenomenon anyway) and cryptocurrencies taking over sovereign currencies (because many countries had given up their sovereign currency already anyway) here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4524280

So if I want to report this, it's not nr. 33 copypaste, because the source is included....

33. When reporting plagiarized content first make sure that they haven't included an original source. If they haven't then provide the original source that the content was plagiarized from in the report field. There are several tools which can identify plagiarized content as well as manual searches via a search engine.

Maybe this fits the nr. 1 'pointless' type of post, but I have to describe why it's pointless. It's pointless, because it's a copypaste of some other member's post, but the source has mentioned, so it's not a copypaste, so I'm stuck.
The reason why I'm asking this that I don't want to ruin my 99% accuracy (have nearly 650 reports and only 10 bad, so if I can reach the 1000 reports with 10 bad, I hope the system will round the 99% up to 100% Cheesy )
coinquangkhanh

Activity: 252
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 01:58:20 AM

To encourage forum members to actively report to moderator managers better, there are bonus points for accurate reporting.
Welsh (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 06:32:54 AM

I’m all in for it too. It would even be better to have it on the actual Report to Moderator pop-up screen as a link to the guide, being therefore more effective than a pinned post, although I figure we won’t see this happening.
I like this idea. Hopefully theymos sees this suggestion, and at least gives it some thought.

EDIT
Just found something interesting:
Archive
Post/Topic:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4524527.0

A few thoughts to inspire debate and discussion on the end of conventional central banking (it is a surprisingly recent historical phenomenon anyway) and cryptocurrencies taking over sovereign currencies (because many countries had given up their sovereign currency already anyway) here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4524280

So if I want to report this, it's not nr. 33 copypaste, because the source is included....

33. When reporting plagiarized content first make sure that they haven't included an original source. If they haven't then provide the original source that the content was plagiarized from in the report field. There are several tools which can identify plagiarized content as well as manual searches via a search engine.

Maybe this fits the nr. 1 'pointless' type of post, but I have to describe why it's pointless. It's pointless, because it's a copypaste of some other member's post, but the source has mentioned, so it's not a copypaste, so I'm stuck.
The reason why I'm asking this that I don't want to ruin my 99% accuracy (have nearly 650 reports and only 10 bad, so if I can reach the 1000 reports with 10 bad, I hope the system will round the 99% up to 100% Cheesy )

Reporting it for low quality content is probably the best. They are just linking to one of their threads in order to gain more exposure. It's sort of a duplicate post, but I think just saying something along the lines of "Low quality content" You could go on to explain that they've copied the first paragraph, and just added a link to their thread. However, it's probably not needed.

In fact their recent posts on their post history page is doing the exact same thing for other threads.
actuallytwolamas

Activity: 69
Merit: 20

Lama

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2018, 06:39:13 AM

So this thread encouraged me to do reporting more actively, I think step by step we'll clean this forum from shitposters. But the thing which I noticed and it looks weird to me when I report somebody my report count and accuracy increases instantly, it's at 100% accuracy right now, but reported posts stays in the place, without any actions. Is my account somehow broken and I can't report anyone, because looks like my reports didn't even get to the mods.
Welsh (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 08:02:20 AM

I'll be adding a few suggestions made by others later on today, and fixing some errors that I see. Hopefully, when this topic is perfect, and doesn't have any major problems we can either see it stickied or as a pop up on the report page. Possibly both?

So this thread encouraged me to do reporting more actively, I think step by step we'll clean this forum from shitposters. But the thing which I noticed and it looks weird to me when I report somebody my report count and accuracy increases instantly, it's at 100% accuracy right now, but reported posts stays in the place, without any actions. Is my account somehow broken and I can't report anyone, because looks like my reports didn't even get to the mods.
First of all good job on reporting that's exactly what I was hoping this thread would achieve!

If you've reported it, and it hasn't been moved or marked as bad it's likely that the moderators haven't seen it yet. However, it could of just remained unhandled due to the moderator not knowing what to do with it. (quite common if a topic could fit into two sections)

Wait a little bit as it's incredibly unlikely that just your account is broken. Remember, there's several factors that you should take into account when waiting for a report to be dealt with. Depending on the complexity an admin might be needed to verify information that moderators can't see. Also, if the user is higher ranked then it usually takes a little bit longer as well as if the section hasn't got a dedicate moderator it's normally dealt with by global moderators then which can take a little bit longer because of the increased amount of reports that they have.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2018, 08:24:33 AM

Did you see that I'm stsrting another project to categorise accounts. It's at the end of this thread -
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4523196.0

I've also started a chat about it.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 08:56:22 AM

In fact their recent posts on their post history page is doing the exact same thing for other threads.
If their post history is the same, maybe it can be reported both, mentioning this in the report, to let the mod have a look too and decide if this means spam or not...
What happens if we report a user with copper membership? (Paid membership). I haven't reported any copper yet. Does that mean any kind of protection against vulnerability?
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 11:00:22 AM

What happens if we report a user with copper membership? (Paid membership). I haven't reported any copper yet. Does that mean any kind of protection against vulnerability?
No, and I do not think it's a good idea looking at rank when you are reporting anything. If anything violate the forum rule then just report.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
Welsh (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 06:37:58 PM

If their post history is the same, maybe it can be reported both, mentioning this in the report, to let the mod have a look too and decide if this means spam or not...
The only factor rank has when I'm reporting is whether I check their history or not to see if they are making the same type of replies I'm reporting them for which I'll then leave a comment like "Please check this users post history".

As newbies don't generally have too many posts. Anything Jr member, and above are more like to have a post history. Although, I take a look at their post count, and that usually is more of a factor for lower ranked members than rank itself.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5208
Merit: 13017

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 07:26:05 PM

Some people might be interested in screenshots of the full Report History. (I can't actually see it myself without generating dummy data, since I don't report posts...)

I haven't reported any copper yet. Does that mean any kind of protection against vulnerability?

Absolutely not.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: