Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:56:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Unofficial Guide] Reporting effectively  (Read 25568 times)
r1s2g3

Activity: 742
Merit: 395

I am alive but in hibernation.

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 03:26:29 AM

@Welsh

Can I report this post also?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4779822.0

These kind of post have nothing to add in discussion and I do not understand , what is the purpose of OP of copying some image here from another site.

I am not sure for others but it falls under the "spam category" for me,

Reported

Yup, it is deleted, I was little uncertain whether it should be reported or not.

I am alive

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jonemil24

Activity: 448
Merit: 59

imagine me

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 04:39:26 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2018, 04:53:51 PM by jonemil24

There was a topic about a bounty thread bumping issue, but the real issue is this:

However, it is explicitly stated that those who post that will get 2x rewards. A new evolution of thread bumping(?)

They're asking to post on their bounty thread, and it's how they can attract more bounty participants, but that is not clearly the problem. Have you visited their submission form?

-snip-
Campaign 3: Post on Bitcointalk - SUBMISSION FORM
-snip-

Op should have mentioned about this, instead of the bounty thread bumping issue.

This kind of campaign can lead to spam, and I can't find any rules written about it.
Do you think this campaign could lead to spam? Could you give me an example on how will I report it if they are breaking any law?

BTW,your topic is really helpful, can we have it pinned? It's hard looking it.

Normally, if given a choice to do something and nothing, I choose to do nothing.
But I will do something if it helps someone else to do nothing.
I'd work all night if it meant nothing got done.
- Roy Swanson
Welsh (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 09:12:13 AM

Do you think this campaign could lead to spam? Could you give me an example on how will I report it if they are breaking any law?

BTW,your topic is really helpful, can we have it pinned? It's hard looking it.
Yeah, report it. As far as I'm concerned that's offering an incentive for opening threads which would indeed lead to spam. Include a comment similar to the #15 example. Maybe, include that they are making it a requirement to create new threads, rather than post in an existing topic.

Regarding, the pinning of the topic. That's up to theymos, but I haven't sorted out some of the formatting issues at the moment that are annoying me. It's on my to do list though. I'll continue bumping it, but I forget sometimes.
hakka

Activity: 714
Merit: 158

To live is to think

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2018, 05:36:07 PM

Thanks, Welsh. This is very important information for most of forum members.

I translated your thread in Japanese as below.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4818470.0

Thanks to your knowledge and effort, My community members will recognize the importance of report.

joesan2012

Activity: 336
Merit: 112

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 03:55:14 PM

Hello May I ask If I can share this to My Local board and translate it to Our own language? This will also help spread awareness among the user from other local board? Therefore I'm asking for the consent of the author of this thread.
Welsh (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 07:58:10 AM

Hello May I ask If I can share this to My Local board and translate it to Our own language? This will also help spread awareness among the user from other local board? Therefore I'm asking for the consent of the author of this thread.

Sure. Anyone that can translate this to local boards to a good standard are encouraged to do so. The more exposure of this the better I think. There's a few little formatting issues that you might want to address which I haven't got around to fixing yet.
athanz88

Activity: 476
Merit: 359

View Profile
August 22, 2018, 10:22:43 AM

Hello, after i messaged you in the last week, and seek for your approval, i made a guide like this thread for my local board. Well, its basically your thread but not all of my local boards members understand English well, so i made it and add some opinion of mine (just a very tiny of it). If you want to see it, you can find it here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4937332.msg44500456#msg44500456

Thanks again for a great guide and letting me to make one for my local board.
Welsh (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2018, 07:51:55 PM

Nice one! Anyone else is welcome to translate the thread for their local board as long as it makes sense of course! Hopefully, we can start getting more users reporting site wide rather than the majority from the English sections.
Lafu
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 3038

View Profile
August 22, 2018, 11:39:38 PM

German Board already have it and i am on the way to get some more there to keep watching for spam and report them!

DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 10731

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2018, 11:02:36 AM
Last edit: August 23, 2018, 08:22:15 PM by DdmrDdmr

Nice one! Anyone else is welcome to translate the thread for their local board as long as it makes sense of course! Hopefully, we can start getting more users reporting site wide rather than the majority from the English sections.
I'll translate it into Spanish for my Local Board. I'll let you know when it's done and see if I can find the adequate place to place it there, since there is no equivalent to “Meta” and I fear it should go in a place called “Esquina Libre” (Free Corner), mixed amongst other threads that are of the most diverse nature. A sticky could save it there, so I’ll ask the mods there to consider it when it is done.

Also, I find that my local is not too active lately, so impact will probably be small, but it's woth a try.

I’ll try to get it done before Monday today or tomorrow. I've already drafted it all, and just need to review and try it out on preview.

Done.

I've just published the post on my local board: [Guía] Cómo reportar de manera efectiva.

I've stuck to the original OP as much as possible, with only very minor changes (i.e. wrong language example adapted to my local).

I have added an introduction to explain the reasons for the post, and an additional section at the end indicating the references and an important note on rule discrepancy between the official rules in the post written by @mprep in English, and the translated thread by @dserrano5 in Spanish. It turns out that the Spanish thread is not up-to-date (and the OP has not been active for a year now), so the latest additions are not incorporated to the Spanish rule thread. I’ve gone on to pointing out that the more official thread in English has preference over the local translation in case of discrepancy or ommition.

The rest is a rather decent translation I’d say and I’m happy with the result. I’ve included in my introduction that any change suggestions should be made on your thread and from there on derived to the translations if they take shape. Regardless, If any decent suggestions are made on my local, I’ll place them on your thread (translated of course).

I've decided to place the post in the default local Spanish section, where the post on rules is also present (although as a sticky there).
finaleshot2016
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1007

Degen in the Space

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2018, 11:29:22 PM

I would like to translate it also to my local board (Philippines) since we have many participants and members so this thread might be very helpful to us. I know this kind of post might change the perspective of each and everyone in the forum. I will have a collaboration with your content and the idea about merit badge so there's a chance of changing a lot.

Spreading the reporting guide might help also everyone to clean up each sections (mods will have a great time checking all those reports  Grin).
I'll just inform you here if the content is published.
Welsh (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 10:02:52 AM

Yeah, any minor adaptions that you need to make is absolutely fine. It's nice to see users using my templates now, and then because I know its at least being seen, and put to use. Any exposure should be for the benefit of the forum even if its only a minor impact.

Thanks to everyone who's gone into the effort of translating it into your local language, and helping the forum further!
jonemil24

Activity: 448
Merit: 59

imagine me

View Profile
August 30, 2018, 04:30:33 PM

Yeah, report it. As far as I'm concerned that's offering an incentive for opening threads which would indeed lead to spam. Include a comment similar to the #15 example. Maybe, include that they are making it a requirement to create new threads, rather than post in an existing topic.

Regarding, the pinning of the topic. That's up to theymos, but I haven't sorted out some of the formatting issues at the moment that are annoying me. It's on my to do list though. I'll continue bumping it, but I forget sometimes.
This bounty topic that I reported is still unhandled, I guess it needs more evidence. The good news is, I already caught one, the only problem is, how should I connect it to my previous report, so they will be handled both at the same time.

Since you posted this, I will continue reporting posts from Alt Ann. Hoping that theymos will incentivize users with 1m good reports an "x" amount of BTC(I hope, no one has ever reached that amount of good reports). Cheesy

Normally, if given a choice to do something and nothing, I choose to do nothing.
But I will do something if it helps someone else to do nothing.
I'd work all night if it meant nothing got done.
- Roy Swanson
Welsh (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2018, 05:37:06 PM

This bounty topic that I reported is still unhandled, I guess it needs more evidence. The good news is, I already caught one, the only problem is, how should I connect it to my previous report, so they will be handled both at the same time.

Since you posted this, I will continue reporting posts from Alt Ann. Hoping that theymos will incentivize users with 1m good reports an "x" amount of BTC(I hope, no one has ever reached that amount of good reports). Cheesy
I don't see reports from the bounty section, and I can't tell you why its still unhandled as I'm not sure what evidence you provided. So, you could message those with jurisdiction over it with the new evidence if you wanted too.

Haha, I wouldn't count on that. Would be a highly impressive thing to achieve though.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18507

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 10:48:19 AM

Thanks again for this guide, Welsh.

I have a few questions maybe you can help to answer. Up until now I've mostly reported posts that are obvious rule breakers: wrong section, wrong language, referral links, phishing, that kind of thing. However, after the various discussions from the last few days, I've decided to start reporting low value posts from spammers as well. Now, posts like "nice project" and "great team" obviously fall in to that category, but my question is regarding one line generic posts.

Taking a random megathread from Bitcoin Discussion (Is now the right time to buy bitcoin?), here are a sample of recent posts from it:

Nobody really know the bottom line of bitcoin and currently it is still volatile which means it can drop at anytime and pump at anytime

I saw that the price of Bitcoin started yesterday, but the price is still very low at this time. If you really want to invest in Bitcoin, then buy now no longer have to wait. I'm sure the price of Bitcoin will continue to rise, and get greater profits by buying Bitcoin at a lower price.

Bitcoin price is at a good level right now. It's a good entry point.

Suppose I still have money, then I won't think long. I will directly buy Bitcoin, and hold it back, I see the price of Bitcoin moving up, and I believe this is a positive trend, the price of Bitcoin will continue to rise.

Now, all these posts technically answer the question OP has posted, but they certainly don't add anything new or original to an already 30 page discussion. In my opinion, all these deserve to be trashed, but I can only assume posts like these aren't being trashed, otherwise they wouldn't be literally everywhere.

What's the stance on this?
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 10:48:15 PM

I'm still hoping for some clarification on my last post from any of the mods, or even members with thousands of reports. Are posts like this in the thousands because they aren't classed as "low-value", or is it simply because they aren't being reported?
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2018, 11:34:17 PM

I'm still hoping for some clarification on my last post from any of the mods, or even members with thousands of reports. Are posts like this in the thousands because they aren't classed as "low-value", or is it simply because they aren't being reported?

Have you tried reporting them? Just go ahead and do it and see how that works out.

I've been reporting two types of shitposts that I'm labeling as "incomprehensible garbage" - the post didn't make sense, bad Google translation, horribly mangled English, etc - or "zero value shitpost" - the post might be grammatically ok-ish and I could get the gist of it but it doesn't add anything to the thread and likely is just sig-spam or spam-bump. The latter covers most one-liners and mods have been deleting them but that's mostly in altcoin boards where even shitposts are exceptionally shitty compared to the rest of the forum. Not sure about Bitcoin Discussion, which has no dedicated mod.

tl;dr: if in doubt - report.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 12:43:36 AM

Yeah, but I have 100% accuracy and don't want to mess it up Tongue
Bahokiki

Activity: 98
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 02:17:25 AM

Maybe you could add more the benefits of reporting, this may motivate us more even were jr.members, because mostly of jr.members dont care about reporting
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2018, 02:44:53 AM
Merited by Foxpup (2), Welsh (2), o_e_l_e_o (2)

Maybe you could add more the benefits of reporting, this may motivate us more even were jr.members, because mostly of jr.members dont care about reporting

If your front lawn is covered with dog shit do you need to be told what are the benefits of cleaning it up? It's not a Jr. Member or Legendary thing. You either want to clean it up or not, there is no other benefit than that.

Yeah, but I have 100% accuracy and don't want to mess it up Tongue

You're invalidating the point I'm trying to make to the Jr. Member up there Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: