Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:47:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WTB mining rig in NYC  (Read 737 times)
entropy137 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2011, 11:47:30 PM

Looking for someone in NYC willing to sell me a mining rig at a reasonable price. I'm looking for something around 1GHash/s but more is welcome too. I need to be able to verify the hash rate running at a sustainable temperature first.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheHarbinger

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Why is it so damn hot in here?

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 09:08:12 PM

Looking for someone in NYC willing to sell me a mining rig at a reasonable price. I'm looking for something around 1GHash/s but more is welcome too. I need to be able to verify the hash rate running at a sustainable temperature first.

Define "reasonable".  Because 90% of the time, it's going to be cheaper to build one yourself then to buy one.

12Um6jfDE7q6crm1s6tSksMvda8s1hZ3Vj
AndyR

Activity: 11

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 10:49:17 PM

Define "reasonable".  Because 90% of the time, it's going to be cheaper to build one yourself then to buy one.

I heartily agree. It will be of less expense to construct the machine yourself than to purchase it second hand. More importantly, perhaps, is that you will know the machine if you build it yourself, and for mining equipment of considerable expense, I believe it is very important to know the device intimately. Things will go wrong, and you should know in your bones what it is when it happens - and you will, if you build it yourself.

Consider also this - there is a deep satisfaction with watching wealth spring forth from the work of your own hands. Have you ever crafted wood, or forged iron? I have done both! The sensation is similar, and it is exquisite. Fruit is never so sweet as when you pick it yourself.
entropy137 (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 06:10:31 PM

That's very true, in fact my current mining rig I build myself. Problem is, it literally took a month. At first I ordered a 6970 and powersupply but the GPU wouldn't fit on my motherboard. Then I bought a new motherboard, RAM and CPU, but the motherboard was an ATX and my case was an ATX-mini. Then I bought a full tower on craigslist and it wouldn't start up properly so I had to return the motherboard and GPU. Now it works and I'm going to add another GPU on the second PCIe slot if I win that bid on ebay. I still want to get another mining rig though since my electricity is free. I figure it's comparative advantage. I just want to do it properly and have it cooled and OCed properly so as to be sustainable. I think I have room for one or two more rigs.

Another thing is, I see on youtube that alot of miners have no case and just mount the board on piece of wood and have a big external fan blowing on it. This seems logical since the fan can be replaced cheaply, you save on the cost of a case, and it's better for cooling, but I don't know how to build that setup. Do they drill the holes for the Mobo themselves or do they buy it somewhere? I work a full time job so I'd rather have an expert do it correctly for me. "Reasonable" for me would be the cost of materials plus a few hundred. I figured that at this bitcoin prices, a few people will be willing to sell some rigs.
TheHarbinger

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Why is it so damn hot in here?

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 06:26:09 PM

The motherboard doesn't have to be "mounted" to anything, you can hang it from the ceiling with string if you want.  The thing is to make sure it is not in contact with any conductive items.  Personally, my rig just sits on 5, 1/2 inch legs made from wooden dowel rods mounted through the standard mounting holes in the motherboard. Total cost for the dowel rod, and some #6 wood screws, about $3.

12Um6jfDE7q6crm1s6tSksMvda8s1hZ3Vj
entropy137 (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 11:42:30 PM

Is there are place to buy that thing? I'm not being lazy. You have no idea how clumsy I am.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: