Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:24:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost bitcoins... found  (Read 1377 times)
Cluster2k (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 12:43:26 PM

I've just switched on a PC I haven't used for 3 months.  Had no need to use it until today to recover some data.  Just for the heck of it I loaded the bitcoin client (the machine was once used for GPU mining) and saw I had 0.67BTC.  Big suprise, I thought the wallet had none.  I've left the client running and it's slowly but steadily ticking over with more and more bitcoins added to the balance.

I had absolutely no idea I had any in the Bitcoin ether.  A pleasant susprise, to be sure, but it also highlighted to me how easy it is to forget bitcoins and possibly lose them forever.  I wonder how many have already been lost and cannot be recovered?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cluster2k (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 12:56:30 PM

I wonder how many have already been lost and cannot be recovered?
You mean besides MyBitcoin?

Yeah.  Accidently formatted hard drives.  Dead hard drives.  Stolen laptops.  PCs once used but abandoned.  Reinstalling Windows.  Becoming bored with bitcoins and deleting them (in 2010).  Lots of ways for thousands to have been lost.  I honestly had no idea I had a bunch on this seldom used desktop PC.
rainingbitcoins

Activity: 728
Merit: 252

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 01:00:23 PM

Thank you for your inspiring true life story about finding three dollars you forgot you had. I have similar stories, but most of them are about weed.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
Cluster2k (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 01:02:56 PM

Thank you for your inspiring true life story about finding three dollars you forgot you had. I have similar stories, but most of them are about weed.

Lol  Cheesy  I see you didn't read too closely.  It started at 0.67BTC and has been going up as blocks are downloaded.  Will soon be in triple digits.
Ayo_4_Yayo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 02:31:27 PM

I once found a wallet when I was taking a walk through a park in my neighborhood and I looked inside and there was just a little spare change in it but there was also the id card of the owner so I brought it back to him (only 1 block from the park, if it was more I wouldn't have done it considering the small amount of money in it) and when I gave it back to him he offered me a cup of coffee and a slice of very tasty fruitcake, because let me tell you, in these days there aren't many honest people out there who take time and effort to return a wallet to their rightful owner. True story, take heed and learn from it.
Ayo_4_Yayo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 02:42:32 PM

A little while ago I got a blowjob from a really hot girl in college after I gave her $5 and some meth a friend of mine made in his kitchen (he lives in Los Angeles and knows a lot of people there, he's also a huge fan of Rachel Rae and Emeril Lagasse but thats a different story), she was really grateful I was willing to help her out because she got kicked out of a shelter or her home... I don't remember what it was. Too bad one of her teeth fell out while she was... BUSY if you know what I mean.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 03:50:22 PM

I wonder how many have already been lost and cannot be recovered?
You mean besides MyBitcoin?

Yeah.  Accidently formatted hard drives.  Dead hard drives.  Stolen laptops.  PCs once used but abandoned.  Reinstalling Windows.  Becoming bored with bitcoins and deleting them (in 2010).  Lots of ways for thousands to have been lost.  I honestly had no idea I had a bunch on this seldom used desktop PC.

There is a thread somewhere where people have been listing known lost and unrecoverable bitcoins.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2011, 05:24:03 PM

Lol  Cheesy  I see you didn't read too closely.  It started at 0.67BTC and has been going up as blocks are downloaded.  Will soon be in triple digits.

0.671 ?

Still around.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 05:46:19 PM

How much so far have you recovered?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: