Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:21:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Banned in Russia  (Read 9413 times)
infoman (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 03:52:37 AM

not sure if it has been posted before:

http://noarmycanstopanidea.com/bitcoin-banned-in-russia/

if yes please mod delete the thread.

wondering how this is behind the current price drop or mtGox?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
maqifrnswa

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 04:31:26 AM

An even more powerful entity banned it this week too: Apple
http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/06/technology/apple-bitcoin/

they don't want competition, apparently...
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 04:34:54 AM

stop spreading fud that has lost its true meaning due to unintelliagent people reading the original source wrongly and then spreading the information in chinese whispers to make the facts less and less true with each passing.

the truth is that russia warn that bitcoin COULD be used for money laundering, and as such. people trading anonymously with each other COULD be trading with illegal counterparties, as such it COULD lead some people into being linked to a crime.

its a warning, not a ban.

please try looking for the information source and research before posting these FUD articles.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
cryptog1

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 05:31:51 AM

stop spreading fud that has lost its true meaning due to unintelliagent people reading the original source wrongly and then spreading the information in chinese whispers to make the facts less and less true with each passing.

the truth is that russia warn that bitcoin COULD be used for money laundering, and as such. people trading anonymously with each other COULD be trading with illegal counterparties, as such it COULD lead some people into being linked to a crime.

its a warning, not a ban.

please try looking for the information source and research before posting these FUD articles.

So this statement -“ meaning that cryptocurrencies – the most popular of which is bitcoin – cannot be used by Russian citizens or corporations.- is not accurate information or disinformation?
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 06:18:39 AM
Last edit: February 07, 2014, 06:35:47 AM by franky1

cryptog1, seems you have atleast glanced beyond the media and found the meeting notes, which is good to see.

article 27 means ruble is the official currency of central banks (FIAT/legal tender), bitcoin wont replace it.

bitcoin does not want to be a replacement of FIAT/legal tender, it wants to work along side legal tender. just like russia allows euro's to be exchanged, airmiles, travelers cheques, even facebook credits..

the statement
In accordance with Art. 27 of the Federal Law "On the Central Bank of the Russian Federation", "the official currency (currency) of the Russian Federation is the ruble. Introduction on the territory of Russia and other monetary units issue money substitutes is prohibited. " Certain distribution received anonymous payment systems and kriptovalyuty, including the most famous of them - Bitcoin are money substitutes and can not be used by individuals and legal entities.

the statement in red is the official and legal stance of russia.. EG ruble wont be substituted by bitcoin.

the statement in green is someone elses hypothesis to the meaning of the law. but infact is not law itself. it is just a statement.

the meeting was not a law making activity, it was a discussion between bankers, Russian FSB and the Russian Interior Ministry to discuss the status of bitcoin. no law has changed regarding bitcoin as of yet. but these meetings are discussion meetings which may lead to law changes in the future.

again bitcoin is not replacing the ruble, much like air miles, facebook credits, zynga coins are not replacing the ruble. as such bitcoin is not illegal.

all this meeting proves is that bitcoin seems negatively received by the russian authorities and law changes may happen. but this meeting has not changed a thing! infact the chapter 6 article 27 has not changed since 2002..

enjoy your research

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
cryptog1

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 07:07:05 AM

cryptog1, seems you have atleast glanced beyond the media and found the meeting notes, which is good to see.

article 27 means ruble is the official currency of central banks (FIAT/legal tender), bitcoin wont replace it.

bitcoin does not want to be a replacement of FIAT/legal tender, it wants to work along side legal tender. just like russia allows euro's to be exchanged, airmiles, travelers cheques, even facebook credits..

the statement
In accordance with Art. 27 of the Federal Law "On the Central Bank of the Russian Federation", "the official currency (currency) of the Russian Federation is the ruble. Introduction on the territory of Russia and other monetary units issue money substitutes is prohibited. " Certain distribution received anonymous payment systems and kriptovalyuty, including the most famous of them - Bitcoin are money substitutes and can not be used by individuals and legal entities.

the statement in red is the official and legal stance of russia.. EG ruble wont be substituted by bitcoin.

the statement in green is someone elses hypothesis to the meaning of the law. but infact is not law itself. it is just a statement.

the meeting was not a law making activity, it was a discussion between bankers, Russian FSB and the Russian Interior Ministry to discuss the status of bitcoin. no law has changed regarding bitcoin as of yet. but these meetings are discussion meetings which may lead to law changes in the future.

again bitcoin is not replacing the ruble, much like air miles, facebook credits, zynga coins are not replacing the ruble. as such bitcoin is not illegal.

all this meeting proves is that bitcoin seems negatively received by the russian authorities and law changes may happen. but this meeting has not changed a thing! infact the chapter 6 article 27 has not changed since 2002..

enjoy your research

I think you are totally right.
This is a proof of the manipulative power of media, even RT.
Here (http://rt.com/business/bitcoin-russia-use-ban-942/) (today's article), RT  (this is in fact a Reuters news) states that Russia has banned Bitcoin.
But there is no reference to any official statement from the Central Bank of Russia
The last official statement is: http://cbr.ru/press/PR.aspx?file=27012014_1825052.htm
When you get the translation, it just says that the Bank of Russia is warning the citizens of Russia about the risk involved in cryptos.
Nothing new.
Indeed, as long as Bitcoin (or any crypto) is not replacing the Rubble, there should not be any problem and such a replacement won't happen within the next years.
My guess is that Russia will enact new laws about cryptos but i don t see Russian ban cryptos, especially when Russia is fed up with a growing US debt they must support by buying US bonds.
They want gold, bitcoin, reliable cryptos....much better than a petrodollar fueled by fake terrorism.
meinhard

Activity: 13

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2014, 07:29:26 AM

Here (http://rt.com/business/bitcoin-russia-use-ban-942/) (today's article), RT  (this is in fact a Reuters news)

How is this Reuters news? The (silly) physical bitcoin photo is attributed to "Reuters / Jim Urquhart" (http://straylighteffect.com/category/about-jim-urquhart/), but the article is RT. There is no mentioning of a bitcoin "ban" in Russia on reuters.com. Just this piece of fine journalism that claims bitcoin is "banned" in Indonesia: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/02/06/uk-indonesia-bitcoin-idUKBREA150HV20140206 Wink

I'd say some people at RT (and everywhere else) made a few bitcoin through other people's panic sales today. :-P
waxwing

Activity: 469
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 07:30:44 AM

Something I've been curious about since I read this earlier. Wrt the statement in red - how is it possible then to have oбмeн вaлютa or whatever it's called (excuse my Russian) on every street corner swapping rubles for dollars or euros?

PGP fingerprint 2B6FC204D9BF332D062B 461A141001A1AF77F20B (use email to contact)
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 07:41:30 AM

I think a bigger question is if any laws in russia can be enforced at all. :-/

more or less retired.
infoman (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 07:57:34 AM

sorry guys if it was a fud info, but as it come up shortly after the russian bank warning, obviously made sense to believe its truthfulness

mind you, I have no in debt knowledge of the russian politics and cant speak russian either so it is really difficult to do a research, just stumbled upon this article doing some bitcoin news research.

all in all, its probably the apple news what drives the prices down
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 08:02:15 AM

all in all, its probably the apple news what drives the prices down

Maybe apple news + mtgox pause bitcoin withdrawals + Russia "banned" bitcoin
infoman (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 08:09:09 AM

or the other thread re Paypal is 'banning" bitcoin.

too much bad news for one day, time to go to bed

FiR3

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 08:18:26 AM

I think a bigger question is if any laws in russia can be enforced at all. :-/

In mother Russia, any law can be enforced!

... with sufficient ammo.

▒▒▒▒▒ SC ∩ AR = {wonder}  // SC=science, AR=art ▒▒▒▒▒
Pround quantum of the Romanian Bitcoin community.
cryptog1

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 08:22:31 AM

Here (http://rt.com/business/bitcoin-russia-use-ban-942/) (today's article), RT  (this is in fact a Reuters news)

How is this Reuters news? The (silly) physical bitcoin photo is attributed to "Reuters / Jim Urquhart" (http://straylighteffect.com/category/about-jim-urquhart/), but the article is RT. There is no mentioning of a bitcoin "ban" in Russia on reuters.com. Just this piece of fine journalism that claims bitcoin is "banned" in Indonesia: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/02/06/uk-indonesia-bitcoin-idUKBREA150HV20140206 Wink

I'd say some people at RT (and everywhere else) made a few bitcoin through other people's panic sales today. :-P

indeed. whether rt or reuters, it seems that they are playing with disinfo all over the place.
Indonesia has not banned bitcoin or cryptos.
they have neutralized their position by saying that they regard them as commodities which does not change anything because of cryptos' polymorphism.
Cryptos cannot be banned because of their polymorphism.
SnakeEater

Activity: 90

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 08:53:09 AM

These countries are enjoying the growth from creating wealth through increasing FIAT numbers by creating more debt based future credits.

The next events I will see the crisis of FOREX rate and more currency swap deals.  But currency swap deals is too expensive as compared to BTC network.

http://www.coindesk.com/russias-largest-bank-backs-bitcoin/

So watching closely for political fight on who control the money now in Russia. 
spect0r

Activity: 20

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 04:12:22 PM

If Bitcoin is really banned in Russia how come such a large Russian company as WebMoney (webmoney.ru) is still using bitcoins? They still allow deposits to and withdrawals from WMX (mBTC) with no change at all in the recent weeks.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 06:55:20 PM

Bitcoin isn't banned until PGP and GnuPG are banned as well.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
lightyear69

Activity: 24

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 06:59:51 PM

I would say its very sad.

I had a discussion over bitcoin be backed by something like gold just like XNF-NoFiatCoin.

Having no backing and no one there to look about bitcoin makes it very attractive to money launders and drug traffickers.

There will always be doubts over bitcoin future. I think in today's time anything is possible so why not to back it by something which will give it more credibility and general acceptance.
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 09:09:47 PM

I would say its very sad.

I had a discussion over bitcoin be backed by something like gold just like XNF-NoFiatCoin.

Having no backing and no one there to look about bitcoin makes it very attractive to money launders and drug traffickers.

There will always be doubts over bitcoin future. I think in today's time anything is possible so why not to back it by something which will give it more credibility and general acceptance.

I can see you always mention that altcoin in every posts.
But too bad, your plan doesn't work  Wink
kaysersoze

Activity: 220
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 10:23:15 PM

I wrote this in a new thread - too bad Mr putin do not understand what opportunity he is missing out on

I have been playing with this thought a few days.

So everyone that follows Putins politics clearly understands his goals and ambitions by now, to rebuild russia as an empire and super power and to stand against US and EU on any global issue (snowden, syria, ukraine the list goes on and on) to show his muscles. One can have opinions about how stupid, retarded, illiterate and counterproductive he is about going at it, but no one neglects his ambitions.

So it's very pity and a shame that he really do not have any technical /economical advisor that understands the potential of Btc and really can explain to him where bitcoin can play a global role to diminish usd power.

If he really understood the damage a world wide adoption of bitcoin can do to the financial system ( which in large is controlled by american institutions and USD ) and how he can help accelerate and stimulate this development by creating a safe heaven in russia I'm 150% confident he would do it. He would go all in.  Russia has nothing to lose, american instituions control the financial system of the world, usd is the global currency of the world and russia has nothing to loose if bitcoin would to take over the world.

And its quite easy -create a safe heaven for any company and project related to bitcoin, it will create ten and hundred thousands of jobs in Russia.

Andreas you need to talk to Mr Putin.

Anyone close to Putin, PLease let Andreas make 1 hour pitch to him. Putin would die for the opportunity to take down usd.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: