Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:51:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Whoever said Atlas was probably one of those jackasses...  (Read 6404 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2011, 12:50:11 PM

Universites are controlled by a federally granted monopoly and funding. It's horrifically overpriced. I am not willing to take out a loan on that shit. If I do go to college, it will be community college.

Went to bed before you answered, but
Community college is a good idea to save money, especially when the classes yo take are transferable. That's what I did; took a bunch of community college classes, and then only had a few years of university to finish up.

Anyways, I don't have a need. I can teach myself the same curriculum on my own time. I have never needed an instructor. I always consulted the textbook before I consulted anybody else.

I used to think the same way you did. The one thing that proved me wrong is that being able to learn is only part of it. Knowing WHAT to learn is the other part, and you can only get that from professors and classes. How can you Google or look something up when you have never even heard the term or concept?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ayo_4_Yayo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 01:09:58 PM

Immanual Go is like the CEO banker of Goldman Saks, Lord Blankfein
bitconformist

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 02:40:37 PM

It's a goddamn shame you waste all your potential on your dumb conspiracy theories, poor grasp of economics, and related ventures that are far out of your grasp. If you set realistic goals and gave up this "always sure of yourself, even when you're wrong" thing and had a little humility and learned from your past mistakes, you could probably actually accomplish something with your life.
I am always goddamn sure of myself when I am wrong. I am happy to be wrong because I am one ounce less ignorant. I take it in pride. Go ahead, hang your head down and cry in shame when you are defeated if that what life is to you; mere suffering. I will retain my happiness and continue trying to achieve it to greater heights.

Humility is for suckers who need provisioning from the crowd. I already have the joy I need.
This made me unironically LOL in real life. Seriously dude, you write like what you are: a 17yo with no life experience, no real education, and all the verbose pomposity in the world.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2011, 02:51:34 PM

Seriously dude, you write like what you are: a 17yo with no life experience, no real education, and all the verbose pomposity in the world.

I got the sense that he writes like what a 17 year old *thinks* a more mature adult would write, and it just comes off as being a mixture of feeling forced (pretended) and pompus at the same time. Like he has somewhat recently adopted a philosophy or a persona that he became a fan of, and he is forcing himself into it without the needed experience to be able to fit into it comfortably. Thus the awkward statements explaining himself, where the words he uses feel just a tad off in their meanings.
Anonymous

September 23, 2011, 02:55:15 PM

...where the words he uses feel just a tad off in their meanings.

For future posterity, I would appreciate some examples. Frankly, I don't see any notable flaws in my writing although I would graciously accept any valid insight.
Gerken

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 02:57:57 PM

For future posterity, I would appreciate some examples.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=3278;sa=showPosts;start=0

Anonymous

September 23, 2011, 03:15:06 PM

"For me, it is a cause of some upset that more Anglophones don’t enjoy language. Music is enjoyable it seems, so are dance and other, athletic forms of movement. People seem to be able to find sensual and sensuous pleasure in almost anything but words these days. Words, it seems belong to other people, anyone who expresses themselves with originality, delight and verbal freshness is more likely to be mocked, distrusted or disliked than welcomed. The free and happy use of words appears to be considered elitist or pretentious."

- Stephen Fry
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2011, 03:44:24 PM

For future posterity, I would appreciate some examples. Frankly, I don't see any notable flaws in my writing although I would graciously accept any valid insight.

Of course!  Cheesy

The things that first really threw me were this:
I am sure I am ignorant and proud to be. (perhaps better worded would have been, "I know I am ignorant, and am proud that I am aware of this flaw.") I always listen to what people have to say and I have listened to you very well. (It sounds like there shouls be a "but" there, like, "I did MY job, but..." It's the "very well" that makes you sound a bit pompous there. I am guessing you were TRYING to say, "and have been takin your words to heart," or, "and have been paying very carefull attention to your lessons." Something like that.)

And this:

I will derive pleasure even when I suffer for I choose to.(Commas may have helped here. The sentence comes out a bit convoluted, even though reading it in your head it sounds right to you. Obviously you meant that you willfully choose to derive pleasure from your own suffering, a concept that many will still find questionable, but at first glance this sentence will make people stop and think, "you choose to suffer?" Perhaps better, or more realistically said, would have been, "even if I suffer, I will derive pleasure from..." so and so, like, "knowing that I am learning a valuable experience, and knowing that this particular mistake that has caused me suffering will be my last." Explain it a bit better I guess)

I tend to re-read my posts before posting, and sometimes even go back and edit them a few times afterwards. For you, it'll just depend on whether what others think of you, or what you are trying to say, matters to you personally (spend time on picking words carefully), or if the people you are specifically replying to are just a waste of your time and you just want to give them a brief explanation without much care (type, send, done). Since I don't know your opinion of people in general (you being an objectivist, I would have suspected that you would be cold and calculating, and wouldn't care to waste time on others when it's not productive or benefitial for your own purposes, but your statement of getting pleasure out of making others grow makes me think otherwise), it's up to you how you want to project yourself. Personally, I am fine with you continuing the way you have been, though that's mostly because I don't have a reason to care, since you have no effect on my life, and I can usually understand you just fine.
Btw, that took quite some time, so don't expect it often, but if I see you post and it feels "weird" somehow (not in just bad grammar sense), I'll try to point it out.

Hope that helps.
BlockHash

Activity: 406

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 04:25:38 PM

Just give in and let Rassah show you the intimate world of getting fucked in fursuit. It's the only way to cure you, Atlas.
bitconformist

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 05:32:27 PM

"future posterity" = I just found a thesaurus.
"graciously accept" = clumsy and doesn't quite mean what you think it means. Perhaps you mean gracefully? Gratefully? Other people may view you as gracious but you cannot declare yourself such.

I am always goddamn sure of myself when I am wrong. I am happy to be wrong because I am one ounce less ignorant. I take it in pride. Go ahead, hang your head down and cry in shame when you are defeated if that what life is to you; mere suffering. I will retain my happiness and continue trying to achieve it to greater heights.

Humility is for suckers who need provisioning from the crowd. I already have the joy I need.
"I take it in pride." Stride
"Go ahead, hang your head down and cry in shame when you are defeated if that what life is to you; mere suffering." This sentence is contorted.
"I will retain my happiness and continue trying to achieve it to greater heights." Ditto.
Provisioning makes no sense in that context.
bitconformist

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 05:38:50 PM

FYI things like this make you sound like a bombastic teenager.

Actually, it's not even your English that's the problem. It's your insane, misguided politics/philosophy/economic theory that you really need to fix.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2011, 06:01:49 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2011, 06:22:32 PM by Rassah

Don't be hating on grammar/language nazis now. He supposedly reads (old) books. That's brobably where it comes from.

"graciously accept" = clumsy and doesn't quite mean what you think it means. Perhaps you mean gracefully? Gratefully? Other people may view you as gracious but you cannot declare yourself such.
I think graciously, meaning kindly and courtiously, fits fine. Especially if he accepts it with a curtsie. Though I guess that could also mean in cold but indifferent politeness, if you really read into it way way too much.

No, I think he did mean pride there. But yes, the sentence does sound convoluted, even if gramatically correct. Frankly, though, I can't think of better words to convey the meaning of him "taking it" and "pride."
BlockHash

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 06:14:48 PM

No, I think he did mean pride there. But yes, the sentence does sound convoluted, even if gramatically correct. Frankly, though, I can't think of better words to convey the meaning of him "taking it" and "pride."

I think he literally wants to be accepted into your fur pride.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2011, 06:21:59 PM

Oh, hey, ignore is working. Turned it off temporarily to see if I was missing anything. Turns out nothing important.  Tongue
bosschair

Activity: 110

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 06:24:11 PM

"Go ahead, hang your head down and cry in shame when you are defeated if that what life is to you; mere suffering." This sentence is contorted.
"I will retain my happiness and continue trying to achieve it to greater heights." Ditto.
Provisioning makes no sense in that context.

This is snarky but valid feedback, Atlas.  The way you write makes you sound like you're emulating someone who's prone to flowery, absolutist, and grandiose language (and I think we know who that is), but that you don't have enough experience with the way people actually talk to pull it off.

edit: You can point to Stephen Fry's argument about creative use of language all you want, and it has validity, but at some point you're just using it as a crutch for ignorance, not creativity.  If someone said "I is good with langwidge" and then trotted out Stephen Fry, claiming it was perfectly clear what they meant, we'd call that person an idiot.
BlockHash

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 06:29:36 PM

Oh, hey, ignore is working. Turned it off temporarily to see if I was missing anything. Turns out nothing important.  Tongue

Oh you card!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: