Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:27:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RFC: new forum software specifications  (Read 16869 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 01:37:31 AM

This has feature-crept a bit too far for my taste, theymos. Have you considered separating out some of these feature sets into separate projects?

The first version of the code will be the best-written code because the programmer will be thinking about all of the required features. Everything after the first version will be messier and less stable. So I want to get as much done as possible in the first version.

The forum will be paying 500 BTC or more for the completion of the project, which I think is reasonable for the number of features.

First off, images are very useful. If a company wants to display a screenshot or image of their bitcoin product, how can we do this.

They'll just post direct links to images and people will click on them. Maybe later there will be an option for readers that will expand all direct image links.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 01:45:10 AM

currently we have:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

i would like to see a combination called:

Show new replies to your posts since last visit.

so basically when you first click on it, it shows you all the new replies to your posts, but then it also CLEARS that list regardless of which ones you view on that visit.

i don't really need to see List of honest traders every single time i visit the forum, but i'm stuck with it being in my 'new replies' list.

If you don't wanna watch a thread anymore you can unsubscribe. Also, i don't always visit all the threads i have there in one go, i would hate not being able to come back and still see the stuff i haven't read yet.

And the separated list of unread threads for the whole forum is quite helpful, somtimes i wanna see what is new but i don't feel like checking each subforum one by one, that list is of great help.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 02:56:06 AM

currently we have:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

i would like to see a combination called:

Show new replies to your posts since last visit.

so basically when you first click on it, it shows you all the new replies to your posts, but then it also CLEARS that list regardless of which ones you view on that visit.

i don't really need to see List of honest traders every single time i visit the forum, but i'm stuck with it being in my 'new replies' list.

If you don't wanna watch a thread anymore you can unsubscribe.

i wonder how... i thought unsubscribe was directly related to 'notify', which i have never clicked.
TiagoTiago

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 03:27:51 AM

If you disable notifications it doesn't remove the thread from the list? What if you edit a post and modify the subscription options?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
payb.tc

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 03:30:13 AM

If you disable notifications it doesn't remove the thread from the list? What if you edit a post and modify the subscription options?

in the 'additional options' it has 'notify me of replies' unchecked.

but notify is all about getting an email to your inbox, isn't it?

nothing to do with Show new replies to your posts.
TiagoTiago

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 03:40:36 AM

What about the thing inside your control panel? "Notifications and email" i think

Do you like mmmBananas?!
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 04:16:02 AM

There's no way to remove a topic from "show new replies to your post". The watchlist functionality in the new software will take care of this.

payb.tc

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 09:09:37 AM

almost forgot... an 'ignore thread' option would be good.

...to further kull the list under Show unread posts since last visit.
NothinG

Activity: 560

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 03:21:24 PM

Has anyone suggested a forum software?

terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 09:48:44 PM

One feature that I would love to see is a 'pgp fingerprint’ and 'pgp key' fields within the user profile.
If the user has supplied a pgp key, on submission of a new post or editing an old post, the forum provides well-formatted version of the raw post data for singing.  The user then can upload a .sig file as an attachment to the post.

This would be extremely useful for announcements; the forum software could even automatically verify that the submitted signature is valid.
I approve this message.

Twice.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 02:02:53 PM

One feature that I would love to see is a 'pgp fingerprint’ and 'pgp key' fields within the user profile.
If the user has supplied a pgp key, on submission of a new post or editing an old post, the forum provides well-formatted version of the raw post data for singing.  The user then can upload a .sig file as an attachment to the post.

This would be extremely useful for announcements; the forum software could even automatically verify that the submitted signature is valid.
I approve this message.

Twice.

There is a high condensation of cryptogeeks on this forum, such a feature is an obvious obviousness.

Also,

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 02:24:03 PM

I like the idea of PGP integration, but I don't think it's necessary to include that as a requirement in the first version. It'll probably be pretty easy to add that later.

JeffK

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 07:08:54 PM

This has feature-crept a bit too far for my taste, theymos. Have you considered separating out some of these feature sets into separate projects?
The first version of the code will be the best-written code because the programmer will be thinking about all of the required features. Everything after the first version will be messier and less stable. So I want to get as much done as possible in the first version.

I don't want to sound like an ass when I say this, but this is like the anti-rule of software development.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 09:29:03 PM

I don't want to sound like an ass when I say this, but this is like the anti-rule of software development.

Actually you are quite right, it's the opposite.

After 14 years in software development I can be quite sure that the first version is practically never the best. Sorry, theymos.

deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 09:41:56 PM

Actually you are quite right, it's the opposite.

After 14 years in software development I can be quite sure that the first version is practically never the best. Sorry, theymos.

I once heard a motto , release early release often ...
A forum software writen as discrete modules that could be easily replaced would probably be the best approach

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Coinbuck @ BTCLot

Activity: 540

The future begins today

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2011, 09:45:48 PM

Don't change anything. It's not worth the effort, and if you lose all the old posts or make people re-register, they will leave.

Actually he can 'port' all the old accounts and posts and it's not that hard.

Well I would recommend to stick with SMF, it's not that bad. But it could have a decent template.

Bitcoin is the future !
TyGrr

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 10:04:38 AM

I just thought of this today to help out being buying and selling goods. Can we get a ranking system of trusted traders. After a trade a person will be able to give a + or a - showing that the trade worked or not. This way it will be easy to see good sellers from new sellers or scammers. We could have the total of the + and the - near the Name or Rank of the person. We would need to make rules that you can only get one vote per account even you if sell to them many times. Also we would need to make it so that a person who does vote had something like 50 hours logged in and 20 posts or something. How does this feature sound? Thanks.
TiagoTiago

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 10:53:45 AM

What about the OTC?

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 01:40:25 PM

I'm with ShadowOfHarbringer

Seriously guys, are you really trying to make a new forum from scratch??

Just take vbulletin or phpbb or something like that and you will be fine, this is just a forum, not the Stargate Command. You will spend much much much much less and you will have a much much better system with years of development and much safer

Safety is the real issue here, that forum got hacked already once, and if bitcoin become more important, you can expect more hacks, so using a SAFE forum is of the upmost importance

cruikshank

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 08:59:02 AM

theymos, other than the plug-ins and addons that are being used right now that wouldn't work with the update, is there any reason why the board hasn't been updated to the newest release? It has been out for over 3 weeks now and would at least be a hold over until a new system is made/chosen.

1JvnFCbMXAyeooPggF9snLAeg3A2QVV8eh
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: