Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:09:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining and CPU speeds  (Read 1459 times)
Radiorama (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 12:05:14 PM

Hello everybody,

hope this is not a totally noob question, but I can't answer this myself.

I have experimented somewhat with CPU mining. Using my own computer with Intel Core 2 Duo I get about 10-15 kH/s per CPU. Using a cloud server (Windows Azure, AMD Opteron 4171) I get 700-800 kH/s per CPU.
I ran Sisoft's Sandra Crypto benchmark on both systems and found that my cores have about half the processing power of Azure's, but that's a far cry from the >50x mining performance gulf I witnessed.

The only difference is that I have Windows on my desktop PC while I used Ubuntu on the cloud server. Don't believe the difference boils down to that though.

Anyone care to explain what's going on?

Thanks
-- Radiorama

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ahmedfirst56

Activity: 8

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 06:53:11 PM

Hello everybody,

hope this is not a totally noob question, but I can't answer this myself.

I have experimented somewhat with CPU mining. Using my own computer with Intel Core 2 Duo I get about 10-15 kH/s per CPU. Using a cloud server (Windows Azure, AMD Opteron 4171) I get 700-800 kH/s per CPU.
I ran Sisoft's Sandra Crypto benchmark on both systems and found that my cores have about half the processing power of Azure's, but that's a far cry from the >50x mining performance gulf I witnessed.

The only difference is that I have Windows on my desktop PC while I used Ubuntu on the cloud server. Don't believe the difference boils down to that though.

Thanks
-- Radiorama

i want to ask that (Windows Azure, AMD Opteron 4171)
serious can mining at 800 kh/s means if u mining at bytecoin or XMR u can get 0.04 btc per hour

so whats the price of this:-(Windows Azure, AMD Opteron 4171)
XERES

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 12:37:21 PM

what algo are you mining or just what coin, mining orge magi i get 10KHS with my I5

ahmedfirst56

Activity: 8

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 01:15:15 PM

what algo are you mining or just what coin, mining orge magi i get 10KHS with my I5

i will start mining bcn or XMR because if u got 100 kh/s or more then it u can make 0.001 per hour or more then it

but its only cpu mining i think so not gpu
noel57

Activity: 392

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 08:28:23 PM

i will start mining bcn or XMR because if u got 100 kh/s or more then it u can make 0.001 per hour or more then it

Did you check your calculations very well 0.001 btc per hour  is a lot of money  Shocked

XERES

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 08:32:06 PM

Did you check your calculations very well 0.001 btc per hour  is a lot of money  Shocked
most of the time you cant make that much just off your pc, else everyone would be doing it 24/7

MaxDZ8

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 09:24:25 AM

SiSoft Sandra is a synthetic benchmark. It benchmarks relatively simple operations such as AES ciphers, perhaps "true" hashing of memory. They are small things, usually designed to adapt to a large set of hardware.
Cryptocurrency hashes might be jokes but they usually concatenate several operations, mangle memory. The processor has an harder time 'figuring out' the best thing to do.
In particular, the Opteron has L3 cache and I'm pretty sure no Core2 model has L3. This can affect syntactic benchmarks hugely, it also has a richer instruction set which could accelerate Sandra.
By contrast, most CPU miners are 'high compatibility' and often don't come with newer CPU support by default.
XERES

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 10:18:10 AM

SiSoft Sandra is a synthetic benchmark. It benchmarks relatively simple operations such as AES ciphers, perhaps "true" hashing of memory. They are small things, usually designed to adapt to a large set of hardware.
Cryptocurrency hashes might be jokes but they usually concatenate several operations, mangle memory. The processor has an harder time 'figuring out' the best thing to do.
In particular, the Opteron has L3 cache and I'm pretty sure no Core2 model has L3. This can affect syntactic benchmarks hugely, it also has a richer instruction set which could accelerate Sandra.
By contrast, most CPU miners are 'high compatibility' and often don't come with newer CPU support by default.
so the software actually over shoots the actual Hashrate that the cpu can give ?

MaxDZ8

Activity: 672

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 05:24:02 PM

They measure different things and give different results. Yes, Sandra most likely gives better results. For whatever that means to you.
lilybclintonn

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 04:16:08 AM

For gpu mining cgminer seems to be the most popular choice. CPUMiner seems to be the Litecoin preferred CPU miner as the Litecoin wallet natively supports it. I found this attractive as the LItecoin Wallet GUI is pretty nice. The cgminer command line gui is actually very nice as well. There is a windowed GUI available for cgminer, but I found it inferior to its original GUI. Both are clearly pretty mature products that made this process substantially easier.
knightkon

Activity: 588

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 02:37:38 AM

i want to ask that (Windows Azure, AMD Opteron 4171)
serious can mining at 800 kh/s means if u mining at bytecoin or XMR u can get 0.04 btc per hour

so whats the price of this:-(Windows Azure, AMD Opteron 4171)

I have to ask where I can get a miner or build something that mines BSn at 800 kh/s.  I really like playing around with BCN and like mining it, but I am working with CPUs right now and I am only getting around 20 to 50 kh/s.  It is not constant either, so I have no idea what to move to.  Advise please.

███████████████████████████
██████████▄▄███▄▄██████████
████████▄█████████▄████████
██████▄█████████████▄██████
█████▄███████████████▄█████
█████▀███████████████▀█████
███████▀███████████▀███████
█████████▀███████▀█████████
███████████▀███▀███████████