Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 09:15:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Forbes: "$10: One Perspective On What Bitcoin Will Be Worth In 2014"  (Read 3531 times)
jballs

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 05:54:32 AM

Well there is early adopting and its rewards, and there is meritocracy. I don't know that being tech savvy enough to conjur up crypto currency is the same talent as controlling a financial system. Viz Mt Gox and all the prowess demonstrated there. The world can't be run like that and really the point of Bitcoin was decentralized.

I don't know, that's what sold me on Vertcoin. Only 19 people with more than 10,000 coins and top holder has 50k, and that will probably not get much more skewed than that as the price is already prohibitive and likely to get more so. They can cohabitate obviously and serve different functions but I would rather have a truly decentralized option on the table.

Lolwot. How can you be so certain about the distribution of Vertcoins

This

http://graph.vertcoin.org/balance_count.json

Updates every 2 hours. Granted there may be multiple wallet holders but its not much more than that as they have only existed for less than a month and no premine, and no couple years when a couple dozen guys were the only ones who knew it existed. You can see it is fairly concentrated in VTC same as bitcoin except there are only about 1. 5 million of 84 million so those percentages will drop to nil in a few months, the way bitcoin would have been had it been properly distributed from the get go.

I love bitcoin, I am really glad they have a toehold on mainstream breakthrough. But I do worry they will get choked by the powers that be and the best deterrent for that is good forks and truly distributed alternatives. If nothing else to make the point that they aren't going to kill it. Russia et al will have to come around because we are going this way with or without them and that is all there is to it.

So in other words you're not certain about the distribution of Vertcoin. Stop spreading untruths as fact. Thanks.

The distribution (factual) is right there in the link. I don't know who has how many wallets but since less than 2% of the coins have been mined there is basically no way it can centralize from here. I think the reality is setting in that bitcoin is a breakthrough, but it is by design neither novel nor irreproducible. So it doesn't make all that much sense to be paying 800 no 700 dollars each for them.

I guess it makes sense. The idea of bitcoin wasn't to make 50 people rich.

H A R A                [  WHITEPAPER   │   LITEPAPER  ]                H A R A  
Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
TWITTER     GITHUB          REDDIT     FACEBOOK     BITCOINTALKLINKEDIN
solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:05:36 AM

No, it does not. They earned them.

So did all the powerful banking families earn their power, wealth, and influence.

That stuff doesn't grow on trees you know. Takes a certain level of guile, intelligence, determination, fearlessness in the face of vast risktaking over several generations at that.

I disagree, early bitcoin adopters were in large part not risk takers but just lucky or had good foresight. I think the average user now who is willing to drop a few grand on just 3-5 bitcoins hoping to strike it rich has much more nerves of steel than the college kids who hoarded hundreds or thousand for pennies 3-4 years ago and just happened to hold onto them.

Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:10:27 AM

Until 'Satoshi Nakamoto' reveals his or her true identity we don't know that.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:51:38 AM

It has become more and more obvious that Mark Williams is using Bitcoin to make money. Not by buying BTC, but by capitalizing of the fear of the unknown and controversy. And it has worked. He has gotten himself speaking gigs, appeared on TV in front of the world at the NY regulatory hearings. He is becoming an anti-bitcoin celebrity.

But if you listen to some of his very last comments at the NY regulatory meetings, he literally conceded that bitcoin has a lot to offer and simply needs more professional guidance and that it was his hope that it would get that guidance. GASP!

Mark doesn't hate bitcoin as much as he wants you to think he does. He is just looking for some fame and fortune.
jballs

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 06:54:08 AM

Until 'Satoshi Nakamoto' reveals his or her true identity we don't know that.

True. I believe that was not the purpose. Having felt a certain sense of dissatisfaction at the time, my interpretation of the message about the bailouts embedded in the first block was i was the first step towards decentralizing the monetary authority and leveling the playing field. I think it is safe to assume he/they had no idea what would become of it. I would like to see multiple channels evolve from bitcoin though or it will cease to live up to most of its potential.

H A R A                [  WHITEPAPER   │   LITEPAPER  ]                H A R A  
Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
TWITTER     GITHUB          REDDIT     FACEBOOK     BITCOINTALKLINKEDIN
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:55:45 AM
Last edit: February 10, 2014, 08:31:58 PM by DeathAndTaxes

The distribution (factual) is right there in the link. I don't know who has how many wallets but since less than 2% of the coins have been mined there is basically no way it can centralize from here. I think the reality is setting in that bitcoin is a breakthrough, but it is by design neither novel nor irreproducible. So it doesn't make all that much sense to be paying 800 no 700 dollars each for them.

Why do you assume 1 address = 1 person.

MtGox cold storage address likely holds the coins for tens of thousands of users but in your "math" it is all owned by one person.  The same would apply to every major exchange, eWallet, and bitcoin related business.

Likewise under similar math you would say 80% (or some asinine number) of all the dollars in the world are personally owned by four people named Chase, BofA, Wells Fargo, and Citibank.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 07:56:58 AM

What Professor Bitcorn fails to see is that cartels don't work in a free market.  These 47 whales who supposedly coordinated to drive prices higher had more reasons to mistrust each other than any other cartel in history. Even OPEC can't keep oil prices high. The reason is that the higher the price goes, the greater incentive to defect.

It's a variation of the Prisoner's dilemma in game theory. Always screw the other guy if you can and your incentives are purely selfish.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: