Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:28:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: crowdsourced ASIC chip and board  (Read 874 times)
deepbtc (OP)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:02:07 AM

I've been following bitcointalk closely for about a year now and i'm really frustrated with all the stuff going on in the mining world.
We are going in the right direction with all the open source board designs and contributions from everyone but let's face it, it's all about the chips.

I've contacted a couple of companies and chip makers and I'm waiting for the quotes to see what kind of numbers we are talking about. I may be naive but i think there is something we can do together. (Maybe not a completely custom chip at the beginning but it can be done in the near future)

We can crowd fund this and can will personally put 10 BTC of my own money in this. This is just an idea for now, and i'm open to suggestions.

I look forward to what you have to say, I live in Bangkok, Thailand by the way we can meet up for a beer and talk about this if anyone is interested.

Best regards,
John (M.M.D.)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
j03

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 02:37:18 AM

I believe it's a few million dollars to produce a 28nm process chip.

1MYwxy8TniWL37y3ueG2cN6i5eQ49Fr19Q
deepbtc (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:46:49 AM

I'm still waiting for the cost and specs (it might not be a 28nm) but i know that it's a fraction of that.
fasmax

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:16:01 AM

How would the chips be distributed?
We all want as much as we can get Smiley
railzand

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 09:16:38 AM

i've been following not at all closely for not as long and have come across more than one such endeavour

deepbtc (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 10:04:19 PM

How would the chips be distributed?
We all want as much as we can get Smiley

This is just an idea for now but if enough people are interested and can support the project I can setup a company, website and crowd funding page, once we get the funding we can continue with manufacturing and have the chips distributed directly from here (Bangkok, Thailand). Any one contributed can come here to our offices and see the whole operation, paperwork and everything. Labour cost, rent and everything is cheap in Thailand so we can even develop boards here too.
deepbtc (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 10:09:04 PM

Any one interested can go ahead and visit kickstarter.com and see many projects get hundreds of thousands of dollars and even million$ Of funding, I don't see any reason why we can't so something similar for the bitcoin world.

It's even better for us because I can setup a site where we don't have to pay the fees to crowd funding sites and do it ourselves.

It it just me or I see real potential here?
rostbiffen

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:41:32 PM

Any one interested can go ahead and visit kickstarter.com and see many projects get hundreds of thousands of dollars and even million$ Of funding, I don't see any reason why we can't so something similar for the bitcoin world.

It's even better for us because I can setup a site where we don't have to pay the fees to crowd funding sites and do it ourselves.

It it just me or I see real potential here?

you need to have an idea, present it in an video detailed with a working prototype. i think it is hard to do with a bitcoin chip

codezilla

Activity: 11

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:12:33 AM

why don't you just take pre-orders
Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:57:02 AM

I'm still waiting for the cost and specs (it might not be a 28nm) but i know that it's a fraction of that.

You are wrong.  To do 65 nm device from design to masks to boards will cost at least $1M.  28 nm is probably closer to $5M.

It's simply too much money to crowdsource.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: