Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:22:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Contrary to Mt.Gox’s Statement, Bitcoin is not at fault - Gavin Andresen 10/2/14  (Read 13068 times)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4441

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:00:43 PM

Transaction malleability has been known about since 2011

Known by whom?

Where is the list of all known Bitcoin issues that I can access and view freely? written in plain non-technical language so that anyone about to invest money into Bitcoin can familiarize themselves with the potential risks?

You say that like it should be somebody's responsibility to provide you with it?

You say that like it shouldn't be somebody's responsibility to provide me with it?

the community nominates:.................................................... dramatic pause

whtchocla7e to find all the information, translate it into laymans terms, and then distribute it to HIS investors. but just one piece of advice, by the time you found such information, the solution is normally found and the so called risk becomes theoretical.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 07:01:59 PM

Of course Bitcoin is not at fault.
Oh Gox..

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
nwbitcoin

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 07:13:42 PM

Transaction malleability has been known about since 2011

Known by whom?

Where is the list of all known Bitcoin issues that I can access and view freely? written in plain non-technical language so that anyone about to invest money into Bitcoin can familiarize themselves with the potential risks?

You say that like it should be somebody's responsibility to provide you with it?

You say that like it shouldn't be somebody's responsibility to provide me with it?

the community nominates:.................................................... dramatic pause

whtchocla7e to find all the information, translate it into laymans terms, and then distribute it to HIS investors. but just one piece of advice, by the time you found such information, the solution is normally found and the so called risk becomes theoretical.

This highlights the biggest problem for Bitcoin of FUD and how easy it is for people like whtchocla7e to get involved in something without doing due diligence.

With MTGox blaming anyone and everyone other than themselves, and far too many people being unaware of the other exchanges, this action is going to do a lot of damage to Bitcoin in the short term.

Maybe it might be an idea to see MTGox being removed from the foundation until they can prove that they are worthy of such a coveted position within the community?

It would also be a good way to demonstrate how the foundation is able to differentiate between personal and professional bitcoin interests ;-)

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:17:25 PM

Maybe it might be an idea to see MTGox being removed from the foundation until they can prove that they are worthy of such a coveted position within the community?

I think Gox has had ample time to prove themselves. They've proven something alright. They've proven that they are a cancer and that cancer should be removed before it can do any more damage.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
bitsaber

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 10:41:20 PM

I started a separate topic by mistake, so I'll repost it here:

I hate to be the devil's advocate here (especially being a newbie), but how does "known about since 2011" fit with "cannot be corrected overnight"?
Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 10:53:07 PM

I hate to be the devil's advocate here (especially being a newbie), but how does "known about since 2011" fit with "cannot be corrected overnight"?
Thanks for refocusing on this post.
The problem is not "why is it not done yet", but more "why is it more urgent than taking care of bitcoin's ability to handle much larger transaction volume"?

The answer is simple.

It's on the same level as
"why is this label text still purple when it should be blue"

vs

"why is this label text stating..."
Code:
how much do you want to earn
instead of
Code:
how much do you want to give away

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 11:07:20 PM

i say we demand manual withdraws or heads start rolling, fuck this shit guys
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 11:10:54 PM

What could be at fault too, is that many people have misunderstood the role of exchanges. They're not banks. Nobody should leave its BTC there. People should buy BTC through an exchange and once the transaction is done, they should move away, sending immediately their BTC to their own wallet in their home computer.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 11:13:51 PM

Gox is not ashamed to throw dirt at BTC to divert blame from themselves pulling the market down 20% in the process, this is revolting  Angry

Certainly it is also the bank's fault that fiat isn't flowing either  Roll Eyes

Truth is the new hatespeech.
bitsaber

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 11:15:09 PM

The problem is not "why is it not done yet", but more "why is it more urgent than taking care of bitcoin's ability to handle much larger transaction volume"?
That seems like a 1.0 feature to me. Addressing transaction malleability, on the other hand, could fit just fine in the 0.x.x roadmap. Nobody (at least to my knowledge) said anything about fixing it overnight.

I'm not saying Mt. Gox are the good guys here (they clearly screwed up), but shouldn't Gavin Andresen have accepted some responsibility?
Kouye

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 11:17:40 PM

I'm not saying Mt. Gox are the good guys here (they clearly screwed up), but shouldn't Gavin Andresen have accepted some responsibility?
Responsibility for MtGox choosing to willingly donate coins to people asking for them to their support team?
Let me think....
Err, no.

I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 11:20:40 PM

The software is Open Source and many people donate time for no pay. "Responsibility" depends on who has the time/skill to do/fix things.

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 11:23:02 PM

how long before the Japanese start waiting outside MtGox everyday
Kouye

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 11:26:58 PM

italian, swedish or texan people will probably beat the japanese to it.
Oh wait.
You know MtGox is not a japanese company, right?

NanoAkron

Activity: 252

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 11:30:01 PM

Oh wait.You know MtGox is not a japanese company, right?

Riiiiight. They're only based in Tokyo. Definitely not a Japanese company.
bitsaber

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 11:31:19 PM

The Texan people probably won't get past airport security (with their firearms and all)...
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 11:31:51 PM

Oh wait.

They have offices in japan, fuck this guys its time to apply some pressure, gox CEO has over 300k BTC he can pay until they sort their shit out.

We need to team up with some locals
wolongong

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:04:07 AM

That seems like a 1.0 feature to me. Addressing transaction malleability, on the other hand, could fit just fine in the 0.x.x roadmap. Nobody (at least to my knowledge) said anything about fixing it overnight.

Guess who came up with the idea to use the txid for auditing/tracking in the first place .. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=807.0
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:07:41 AM
Merited by Foxpup (3)

There are plenty of known issues with Bitcoin, some of them more or less serious.  This, frankly, is one of the less serious issues, since it only arises when people design custom software very, very badly.  Gox and its principals were well aware of this particular issue, having been told about it personally, but chose to design defective software.  This wasn't even accidental.

The problem is, if I'm understanding it reduced to its simplest level, relying on transaction information that is NOT YET ON THE BLOCKCHAIN.  It kind of boggles my mind anyone could base any reliance for verifying deposits to a system on anything whatsoever not on the blockchain, even for tracking purposes.

It's clearly non-optimal to use this information at all, but the downside of it could have been very easily avoided.  I hope no other exchanges operate this way, but I honestly don't know.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:09:43 AM

Guess who came up with the idea to use the txid for auditing/tracking in the first place .. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=807.0

In 2010.  If I recall correctly 2010 is before 2011.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: