Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:16:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Contrary to Mt.Gox’s Statement, Bitcoin is not at fault - Gavin Andresen 10/2/14  (Read 13070 times)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:12:48 AM

The problem is, if I'm understanding it reduced to its simplest level, relying on transaction information that is NOT YET ON THE BLOCKCHAIN.  It kind of boggles my mind anyone could base any reliance for verifying deposits to a system on anything whatsoever not on the blockchain, even for tracking purposes.
Not only relying on information that is not yet in the blockchain, but also not paying attention to relevant information in the blockchain because you think you preliminary information is canonical.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitsaber

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:14:07 AM

In 2010.  If I recall correctly 2010 is before 2011.

So the transaction malleability problem was created in 2010 and reported in 2011.
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:18:01 AM

So the transaction malleability problem was created in 2010 and reported in 2011.
No.

Transactions have always been malleable prior to being included in a block. This wasn't really apparent until 2011.

There's nothing wrong with txid, the only problem is inaccurately assuming that it's immutable, and especially not noticing when changes to the blockchain affect your balance in ways you weren't expecting.
bitsaber

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:34:21 AM

Transactions have always been malleable prior to being included in a block. This wasn't really apparent until 2011.

Maybe they were, but this certainly didn't help:

I'm proposing one small change to Bitcoin's JSON-RPC api:  return a transaction ID when Bitcoins are successfully sent.

Why?  Because I want to keep a complete audit trail for any coins going into or coming out of my application's wallet; I want to keep track of the particular transactions in the bitcoin network that correspond to actions my application takes.  The alternative is to call sendtoaddress and then call listtransactions, but that won't work properly if two similar transactions (same amount to same address) occur at about the same time.
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:37:37 AM

I want to keep track of the particular transactions in the bitcoin network that correspond to actions my application takes.
That's the part Mt Gox missed.

In order to do this you've actually got to pay attention to the network to make sure that what you think it's going to do is actually what it does.

They fucked up by assuming that if the txid they sent didn't make it into a block, then no other txid could have spent those coins so they didn't bother checking the blockchain to make sure that was the case.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:39:26 AM

Maybe they were, but this certainly didn't help:

I'm proposing one small change to Bitcoin's JSON-RPC api:  return a transaction ID when Bitcoins are successfully sent.

Why?  Because I want to keep a complete audit trail for any coins going into or coming out of my application's wallet; I want to keep track of the particular transactions in the bitcoin network that correspond to actions my application takes.  The alternative is to call sendtoaddress and then call listtransactions, but that won't work properly if two similar transactions (same amount to same address) occur at about the same time.

Where's the part of that where he says "then, after returning the txid, depend on it as a permanent identification proving a deposit into an exchange?"  I'm not seeing that.  There's really nothing more fundamental to Bitcoin than the blockchain, and that if something is on it, you can trust it forevermore after whatever number of confirms makes you comfortable.  If it isn't, you can't, even if it might have some temporary use in the interim.
bitsaber

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:42:03 AM

They fucked up by assuming that if the txid they sent didn't make it into a block, then no other txid could have spent those coins so they didn't bother checking the blockchain to make sure that was the case.

Wasn't that a reasonable conclusion from sendtoaddress being updated to return a txid?
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:46:30 AM

Wasn't that a reasonable conclusion from sendtoaddress being updated to return a txid?

Not when they had been personally told otherwise.
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:47:35 AM

No.

Only the blockchain is canonical.

It's been that way since day 1. If you're implementing a wallet you already have to account for the fact that the blockchain can change during a reorg, so you should already be constantly checking what you think you know according to what is actually true.

There's no excuse for not noticing that outputs you thought hadn't been spent yet have been included as inputs to a transaction in the blockchain just because you weren't expecting that txid.
gbgamer

Activity: 18

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 12:59:53 AM

I agree with the statement, however, I do believe this is something that should get addressed sooner rather than later.  been set aside too for too long
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:07:38 AM

I'm not saying Mt. Gox are the good guys here (they clearly screwed up), but shouldn't Gavin Andresen have accepted some responsibility?

How could he? The flaw is in MtGox's closed-source implementation and customer service policies. Not Bitcoin.

Buy & Hold
bitsaber

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:08:47 AM

OK, let's try a little experiment.

Suppose you're in charge of the London Underground, and you're having the slight annoyance of an occasional passenger being run over by a train.

You could:

1. play a recording saying "Mind the gap" every ten seconds or
2. put a wall with sliding doors between the platform and the train.

Which one would you choose?
wolongong

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:09:41 AM

Well, then, let's get some broad consensus and running code out of the door to find your tx back in the chain reliably if that's all we need.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:12:01 AM

I'm not saying Mt. Gox are the good guys here (they clearly screwed up), but shouldn't Gavin Andresen have accepted some responsibility?

How could he? The flaw is in MtGox's closed-source implementation and customer service policies. Not Bitcoin.

It does show the power of open source.  Had MtGox's "Gox Special Wallet" been an open source project it is very likely someone would have caught the numerous implementation errors.  Nobody knew except MtGox how incredibly flawed their wallet was, and they didn't have the competence to realize it was flawed.  I am not just talking about the tx hash malleability issue but a host of other flaws as well.
Syke
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:18:09 AM

Suppose you're in charge of the London Underground, and you're having the slight annoyance of an occasional passenger being run over by a train.

You could:

You're not listening. MtGox built their own subway with flawed doors. Only MtGox can fix those doors.

Buy & Hold
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:20:45 AM

Responsibility for MtGox choosing to willingly donate coins to people asking for them to their support team?
Let me think....
Err, no.

Yeah lol Gavin should be held responsible for something he didn't do.

Good luck with that.  Grin

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

razorfishsl

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 01:21:05 AM

You could:

Both…. same as they do in HK,
 because there is always some Deaf guy who cannot hear the announcements… then they have people standing by the walls to stop the mainlanders trying to force the doors open, and Security for the people like (gox) who flatly refuse to follow the rules

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
bitsaber

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:25:13 AM

You're not listening. MtGox built their own subway with flawed doors. Only MtGox can fix those doors.

Oh, I am listening. The problem isn't with the doors (as far as we know). Had it been the doors, a wall wouldn't help.
Syke
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:49:40 AM

Oh, I am listening. The problem isn't with the doors (as far as we know). Had it been the doors, a wall wouldn't help.

Yes, that is the problem. Gox built their doors out of rice paper. People are walking right through them.

Gox has a flawed implementation. They allow customers who have already received a withdrawal to claim they didn't, and Gox will send them a new withdrawal!

Buy & Hold
whitenight639

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:57:29 AM

Can someone explain how the malleability problem is manifest?

I thought Gox like other waited for 3x confirmations in the Blockchain before acknowledging transfers into or out of a Gox account?

125uWc197UW5kM659m4uwEakxoNHzMKzwz
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: