Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:48:09 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-02-12] Reuters - "Bitcoin hit by denial of service attacks"  (Read 1184 times)
Seohce (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:54:29 AM

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/02/12/us-usa-bitcoin-idUKBREA1A20X20140212
miketonic

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:57:13 AM

Bad news just keep on coming..
murraypaul

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:14:42 AM

As for regulation, the bitcoin community have been screaming out for some proper regulation for a long time

That simply isn't true, of the community in general.
There is a significant proportion which is rabidly opposed to any form of regulation as a matter of principle.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
raskul

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:15:49 AM

As for regulation, the bitcoin community have been screaming out for some proper regulation for a long time

There is a significant proportion which is rabidly opposed to any form of regulation as a matter of principle.

well sorry to have to disappoint you, it's going to happen, we may as well embrace it.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
murraypaul

Activity: 476

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:24:35 AM

But that isn't what you said.
And when complaining of misleading journalism, perhaps you shouldn't do the same thing yourself in your comment?

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:03:27 PM

As for regulation, the bitcoin community have been screaming out for some proper regulation for a long time, and myself, being invested in bitcoin, would welcome any suggestion to how bitcoin can be regulated and welcomed as a global currency.

This is just wrong.

The people writing and enacting the regulations will be the big exchanges and know-nothing bureaucrats.  Regulation will just be used as a tool for Mt.Gox and people with the understanding of the journalists to kill off the competition of smaller, better exchanges such as your beloved Kraken.

Much of the community understands this, and I for one would be happier to see fewer intelligent but cluelessly naive individuals such as yourself screaming out for regulation.
teukon
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:12:54 PM

well sorry to have to disappoint you, it's going to happen, we may as well embrace it express how we really feel about it.

FTFY
notthematrix
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:19:58 PM

As for regulation, the bitcoin community have been screaming out for some proper regulation for a long time, and myself, being invested in bitcoin, would welcome any suggestion to how bitcoin can be regulated and welcomed as a global currency.

This is just wrong.

The people writing and enacting the regulations will be the big exchanges and know-nothing bureaucrats.  Regulation will just be used as a tool for Mt.Gox and people with the understanding of the journalists to kill off the competition of smaller, better exchanges such as your beloved Kraken.

Much of the community understands this, and I for one would be happier to see fewer intelligent but cluelessly naive individuals such as yourself screaming out for regulation.

Well let it be regulated , if they want to regeulate PI let them , not that PI is going to care is it!?
thats how I look at bitcoin and regulation , the system is not going to care its decentralized , but I understand that compony's need the IEDEA of regulation its always been the IEDA of regulation in finance and banking Smiley a nice inside in how it works is this doc , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4o13isDdfY give people the illusion of rules to make them happy , thoose that can see true them wil not be stoped by them.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
.♦♦♦.XSL Labs.♦♦♦.
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|  WHITEPAPER 
  AUDIO WP
|Confidentiality
Authenticity
Integrity
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 03:59:06 PM

well sorry to have to disappoint you, it's going to happen, we may as well embrace it.

Sorry to disappoint you, but regulations are just going to be ignored. Regulate bitcoin, and people will just use other cryptos.

Bitcoin's utility is that it doesn't need regulation and works better/faster because of that fact. Statism cannot win under these conditions - the more they regulate, the more they kill the value and the more people just use less regulated alternatives.

You statists are trying to catch water (crypto), and its just running faster between your fingers.

I'm grumpy!!
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 04:41:42 PM

Sigh.

Bitcoin is already regulated. By the software.

You can't just gift yourself as many bitcoin as you like, or send them to someone and keep a few with the recipient also receiving their expected amount.

By saying "no, we don't want regulation", it plays into the hands of the people trying to push government regulation. Think about how the conversation looks to someone who knows nothing about it. They may well think "well, these computer hacking bitcoin people just want to make up the rules of what's right and wrong as they go along, so they can get as much wierdo money as they want! regulate it, definitely, this thing needs supervision"

Think about what you're saying please, people

Vires in numeris
raskul

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 04:48:52 PM

Sigh.

You can't just gift yourself as many bitcoin as you like, or send them to someone and keep a few with the recipient also receiving their expected amount.

By saying "no, we don't want regulation", it plays into the hands of the people trying to push government regulation. Think about how the conversation looks to someone who knows nothing about it. They may well think "well, these computer hacking bitcoin people just want to make up the rules of what's right and wrong as they go along, so they can get as much wierdo money as they want! regulate it, definitely, this thing needs supervision"

Think about what you're saying please, people

here's where I am - I run two businesses, both of which accept bitcoin.
when I short sell the coins I am paid, I take those numbers and I put them into my accounts ledger.
every 3 months, I pay VAT on vatable income, and every year, I pay tax on my yearly income. Bitcoins are part of my yearly income, when they are exchanged to fiat and dumped into my business account.

I do this because I am not a criminal, I don't just want to 'launder money' and I am happy to adhere to the laws where I live becasue it makes it a better society/civilisation et al.

I want proper regulation of bitcoin as a global currency. I have enough faith in bitcoin that it is capable to be a global currency, and not just a means to avoid being taxed (which clearly is how some bitcoin users see it, going by above comments). That's not what I see in bitcoin. I see it as the best and most effficient way to make payments for services rendered. Bitcoin isn't yet an official currency, but damn, i'd like it to be.

teukon
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 05:39:31 PM

Yes, I didn't want to dwell on this point as it was clear that raskul was referring to state regulation.

I want proper regulation of bitcoin as a global currency.
I see it as the best and most effficient way to make payments for services rendered. Bitcoin isn't yet an official currency, but damn, i'd like it to be.

I want your home.  I see it as a nice place for me to live.  It isn't officially mine yet, but damn, I'd like it to be.
raskul

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 05:48:36 PM

Yes, I didn't want to dwell on this point as it was clear that raskul was referring to state regulation.

I want proper regulation of bitcoin as a global currency.
I see it as the best and most effficient way to make payments for services rendered. Bitcoin isn't yet an official currency, but damn, i'd like it to be.

I want your home.  I see it as a nice place for me to live.  It isn't officially mine yet, but damn, I'd like it to be.

hey! it needs a new roof, if you cross my palm with enough bitcoin (and don't knock off an amount because of all the holes in the roof)... it's yours!

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 07:23:09 PM

Bitcoin isn't yet an official currency, but damn, i'd like it to be.

Fair enough. In practice it doesn't matter, but if you're desperate to have the square peg in the square hole, just to prove it's definitely square, then that's your world.

On the other hand, I notice you're willing to stretch the boundaries of what is "real" or "proper" and what is not right now already. Remember that currencies weren't always "official", that comes from only a few hundred years of history. Things do change, just like how they changed to get us into the circumstances we're in now. We're weren't always paying with pieces of paper or plastic, and we weren't always voting for legislative representatives or catching trains. Sometimes things go in and out of our way of life, like watermills or airships, or taxes on windows (if you lived in England)

Official money is dead in the water, basically. That's the big picture.

Vires in numeris
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 06:58:51 PM

Official money is dead in the water, basically. That's the big picture.

Which is why all the "regulation" talk is just hot air.

I'm grumpy!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: