Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:45:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Altcoin Wallets  (Read 350 times)
jerry0 (OP)

Activity: 1736
Merit: 186

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 03:17:14 AM

Hey all.  To those of you that own altcoins and store them in wallets, how do you make sure the wallet you google is legit?  Example there are over 1000 coins available on coinmarketcap. 

Let say you buy 10 different coins on bittrex and binance.  Let say they are not compatible with your hardware wallet such as ledger nano s or trezor.  Thus you have to download the actual wallet itself or keep it on an exchange.  There is a thread here where ppl say don't keep your coins in an exchange because its not safe.  First off, if you keep your coins in the most legit exchanges say bittrex or binance... is that generally safe from hacks?  Now what if you have 2FA on it as well.  Is that safe enough or not?  Someone mentioned if you have 2FA on it, then thats good enough.

Now in terms of altcoin wallets, do you people who own say altcoins that you cannot store in a hardware wallet all download the actual wallet for that specific coin?  But how to make sure that wallet is 100 percent legit?  Example say its bluecoin or greencoin to make it simple.  You can't put those coins in nano ledger s or trezor.  Then where do you store these coins?  I think it would be really annoying having to download all these wallets for every coin you own that isn't allowed on a hardware wallet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
geyayy

Activity: 588
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 08:23:35 AM

What type of wallet are you using? mostly and almost all use wallet that is ERC-20 format where as most of the coins produced are in the said format. It is true that keeping your coin in an exchange site risks it and you should transfer it fast. For safe keeping, use wallets which are popular like MyEtherWallet. As of my experience, even the new coins this year is in the same format which MEW can access.

Anycoin Direct Support

Activity: 106
Merit: 13

https://anycoindirect.eu

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2018, 08:41:36 AM

Hello jerry0,

We understand if you have invested in many different altcoins it might seem like a lot of trouble to download each individual wallet. However, as you stated yourself, leaving them on an exchange is not the safest method of storage. The same goes for multi-coin wallets, both these kind of wallets don't give you access to the private keys making you dependent on 3rd parties to store your coins. One of the main advantage of cryptocurrency is that it gives you the opportunity to be your own bank. To live up to this concept users must control their own private keys. Then again, if you are investing small amounts  leaving them on an exchange will only leave you open to a small risk.

There are also other reasons to install the dedicated wallet of each coin. First of all if you are investing in a coin it is wise to see what kind of network they are offering. Installing a wallet of the concerning coin is a great way see how well the network operates and what the team is capable of. When choosing a wallet we always recommend our customers to download the wallet officially recommended by the community. So for greencoin you should just visit the website: http://greencoin.life/ and download the wallet recommended on the website itself.

With kind regards,

The Anycoin Direct team

Helping the crypto-community. Anycoin Direct
Herlina

Activity: 406
Merit: 101

Decentralized Digital Billboards

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2018, 09:04:32 AM

Hey all.  To those of you that own altcoins and store them in wallets, how do you make sure the wallet you google is legit?  Example there are over 1000 coins available on coinmarketcap. 

Let say you buy 10 different coins on bittrex and binance.  Let say they are not compatible with your hardware wallet such as ledger nano s or trezor.  Thus you have to download the actual wallet itself or keep it on an exchange.  There is a thread here where ppl say don't keep your coins in an exchange because its not safe.  First off, if you keep your coins in the most legit exchanges say bittrex or binance... is that generally safe from hacks?  Now what if you have 2FA on it as well.  Is that safe enough or not?  Someone mentioned if you have 2FA on it, then thats good enough.

Now in terms of altcoin wallets, do you people who own say altcoins that you cannot store in a hardware wallet all download the actual wallet for that specific coin?  But how to make sure that wallet is 100 percent legit?  Example say its bluecoin or greencoin to make it simple.  You can't put those coins in nano ledger s or trezor.  Then where do you store these coins?  I think it would be really annoying having to download all these wallets for every coin you own that isn't allowed on a hardware wallet.
2FA will make your account more protected but it's still very risky because Exchanges are an attractive target for hackers, legitimate wallets are wallets that are supported or recommended by the project team, but most recommended wallets are hardware wallets and we have to download and sync if we want to use it, there are mobile wallets whose private key is managed by the user but unfortunately most wallets only support tokens and some Altcoin

Tipstar

Activity: 1764
Merit: 280

Smart World Global Token

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 09:13:48 AM

There's no much option. Either you need to store them on exchange, a web wallet if available or the desktop wallet.

The best way to get to the official wallet is just to point at the official website listed in the coinmarketcap. They are generally authentic.
You can further confirm it by visiting several other links like the announcement in the forum, facebook, twitter, reddit page or medium and discord.

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
CONFIRMED

bartolo

Activity: 1176
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 09:15:57 AM
Last edit: July 09, 2018, 09:30:55 AM by bartolo

Download the wallet from the official site of each project. Scan the wallet file with an updated antivirus and send it to Virustotal site before installation. To add an extra security layer install the file on a virtual machine. With these steps you can reduce risks. On the other hand, there are wallets like coinomi that support various altcoins.
BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2018, 09:18:29 AM

so you already know about coinmarketcap... that is a good place to start. when you open the link to each altcoin there and visit their pages you can see there are multiple links on the top left corner of the page above the charts. these links go to the (1) official website (2) twitter and other social media links of the official devs (3) announcement topic on bitcointalk, (4) and a bunch of others like explorers,...
you can use (1) or (3) to find the link to  the wallets that are legit.

--looking for signature--
fuer44

Activity: 1638
Merit: 262

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2018, 09:20:39 AM

What type of wallet are you using? mostly and almost all use wallet that is ERC-20 format where as most of the coins produced are in the said format. It is true that keeping your coin in an exchange site risks it and you should transfer it fast. For safe keeping, use wallets which are popular like MyEtherWallet. As of my experience, even the new coins this year is in the same format which MEW can access.
I also use it. some exchange of tokens is also compatible with MEW, such as Okex. to store altcoin or token, MEW is the right choice.
eagleman

Activity: 1190
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 09:29:50 AM

how do you make sure the wallet you google is legit? 
Please don't google wallets if you are looking for one. You'll likely to end and click the fake ones that are using SEO/ad.

That's an additional security but that doesn't guarantee your safety. Just be responsible and don't download unusual software and don't input your details to any website about your seeds.

Now in terms of altcoin wallets, do you people who own say altcoins that you cannot store in a hardware wallet all download the actual wallet for that specific coin?
Yes, you have no choice but to download their specific wallets.

Example say its bluecoin or greencoin to make it simple.  You can't put those coins in nano ledger s or trezor.  Then where do you store these coins?  I think it would be really annoying having to download all these wallets for every coin you own that isn't allowed on a hardware wallet.
No it's not annoying, if it annoys you then don't buy those coins and choose only the ones that are supported by nano ledger s or trezor.
captin crunch

Activity: 630
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 09:31:45 AM

Here is useful link on the topic, how to choose wallet what are the differences among them, from where to begin: https://icoguide.com/en/blog/5-types-of-cryptocurrency-wallets-and-where-to-begin-with-each

cilgindansci

Activity: 504
Merit: 10

umachit.fund

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 09:36:14 AM

I keep my savings on big stock markets. 2FA gives me confidence. I don't trust the wallets because I've had problems before. You should listen to people's ideas.

Pumuckel21

Activity: 868
Merit: 251

Empowering crypto w/ sustainable energy

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 09:38:58 AM

i would really nodd adivce you to store your savings at exchnages. The last time i did this the eschange went down (half a year a ago) and i think the site is still not up again. The tokens i stored nearly lost 95% of value lol

▄█▄▀█████████████▀ ▐
     ▄███▄▀███████████▀ ▐ ▐
    ▄█████▄▀█████████▀ ▐ ▐ ▐
   ▄████████ ███████  ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
  ███████████        ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
 ███████████          ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
███████████            ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
 ███████████          ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
  ███████████        ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
   ▀████████ ███████  ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
    ▀█████▀▄█████████▄ ▐ ▐ ▐
     ▀███▀▄███████████▄ ▐ ▐