Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:34:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Casascius Bitcoin POS system  (Read 10025 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2011, 11:33:39 PM

Requesting comments on the following:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Casascius_Bitcoin_POS_system

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Littleshop
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2011, 11:43:09 PM

Requesting comments on the following:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Casascius_Bitcoin_POS_system

Pretty detailed!  Does this exist or are you setting specifications?

slothbag

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 12:30:13 AM

Sounds great.  If "Somebody, Inc" can be configurable in the device so its possible to set up your own "Back end/Processing" service.  And that communication is done via standard JSON rpc or something similar to make it easy. 

You'd probably sell a whole bunch Smiley
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 02:11:54 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2011, 04:14:38 AM by casascius

This is something I'd like to coordinate being put together as an open-source project.

The Vx510 and Vx570 are programmed in C, using a proprietary unix-like OS.  The same codebase could be easily adapted to other hardware.

EDIT: added this photo. OK, the software in its fully working form isn't real, but this photo IS real (including the real deal on the screen - it is just the beginning - I'll post the code to github)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 02:44:31 AM

I like your ideas on the qr printout and ways of operation. 

This does seem like a large project.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 02:49:25 AM

I am interested in joining in the fun.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 02:53:15 AM

a payment rejection is the receipt of another confirmed transaction on the Bitcoin network that purports to spend the same funds to a different payee, invalidating the original transaction paying you.

How about a payment that just isn't confirming.  For example, let's say no fee was paid and no miners have included it?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 03:55:31 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2011, 10:29:10 AM by cbeast

Too complex for most cashiers. I would have 2-3 modes.
1. A QR self-service smartphone type.
2. Pre-loaded bitbills-type cards that have the entire balance transfered and then change returned to the consumer's public address on their ID.
3. Possibly the ability to return change to a semi-secure paper bitbill that is printed (I don't trust magnetic strips) and a backup sent to an escrow that will expire if spent or not claimed within a reasonable time.

[Edit] After seeing the photo, I see what you are talking about. I would buy these and use them just to sell bitcoin stored value cards.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 04:12:50 AM

a payment rejection is the receipt of another confirmed transaction on the Bitcoin network that purports to spend the same funds to a different payee, invalidating the original transaction paying you.

How about a payment that just isn't confirming.  For example, let's say no fee was paid and no miners have included it?

Then it remains unconfirmed until it confirms, just like on the Bitcoin client.  If not enough of a fee was paid to even get it relayed, it wouldn't have heard about the transaction.  Keep in mind that this is a spec - my imagination for how such a product should work in the end - not how it actually does.

Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 04:17:12 AM

Would it be able to handle credit/debit cards as well?  Or would the device have to be bitcoin only?

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 04:21:54 AM

Would it be able to handle credit/debit cards as well?  Or would the device have to be bitcoin only?

Depends on how it gets written and how nicely it plays with the VeriFone multi-application coordinator.  It's definitely possible in theory - but there is also another practical hurdle.  It only runs signed code, and if you get a terminal from a bank, the terminal may only run code signed by the bank, if they have enabled this feature.  On the contrary, if you have an "unlocked" terminal (like I have, and like most terminals actually are), the code still has to be signed, but with a key they give away freely in their SDK.

Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 04:26:58 AM

The VX570's are about $250 refurbed on ebay.  While it would be ideal to have the same machine do standard credit cards, it would probably not be able to do them as Casacius says above.  Having a second machine would not be too hard for most stores if it saved them a few percent on some sales. 

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 04:36:05 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2011, 07:45:59 AM by casascius

The VX570's are about $250 refurbed on ebay.  While it would be ideal to have the same machine do standard credit cards, it would probably not be able to do them as Casacius says above.  Having a second machine would not be too hard for most stores if it saved them a few percent on some sales.  

The Vx510s are cheaper and are exactly the same but without a USB port.  (other minor cosmetic differences too, but same capabilities).

EDIT: The Vx570s, having a USB port, can also take their programming from a USB flash drive.  This makes tinkering a whole lot easier if you don't have the SDK and all the gear (these are normally flashed via serial or via dialup modem).  If you pick up a Vx570, I can compile and sign a binary, send it to you, and you can just flash your own unit through the USB port.  Of course, I do own a dialup server that also incorporates the dialup flashing, so assuming this ever takes off, I will have the means to help you flash your units you buy on eBay or whatever.

By the way, all of these terminals can be acquired either new, or well-refurbished, in the $200 to $300 price range.  Refurbished terminals often look very good, because they get acquired when merchants go out of business or upgrade, and the refurbishers often completely replace the exterior parts (which will make them appear new - it depends on the refurbisher).  Buy them only from people who are selling the terminal straight-out, not from somebody who also sets up merchant accounts.

Be aware that Ethernet is an option on these models (the standard comm is dialup), so if you ever have the urge to buy one of these, make sure you get the model with Ethernet (also known as dual comm or abbreviated DC).

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 04:37:12 AM

Here is the code for what I have so far (which is essentially a hello world) and what went into the image above... also meant as an introduction to the programming environment used on these.

https://github.com/casascius/vfbitcoin

WiseOldOwl

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 05:46:14 AM

*Applaud!!!*
Nice Work
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 07:13:15 AM

I was able to incorporate qrencode into the source, and got it to print the QR codes on the printer, as well as show one on the screen.  This is the first time I have ever made a VeriFone POS machine render a QR code, but it seems to have worked pretty well.

I pushed the relevant code to github.

finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 07:39:14 AM

Nice work.

Villem Anton

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 09:08:28 AM

What/who do you need to trust,
* As a merchant?
* As a customer?
* Man in the middle attacks?
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 11:32:09 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2011, 02:44:27 PM by ThomasV

lovely!!!
now that you're done with this, here is your next homework: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Smart_card_wallet

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
ercolinux
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 01:28:30 PM

That's really a nice idea, and for what I could read very well designed.
I'm thinking on proposing that to some shops near where I live (even if there are very few bitcoin user here): it could be a "reverse promotion" of bitcoins, instead of being the customers to ask to the shop owners to implement bitcoin, it could be the shop holder to propose to customers to use them.

Bitrated user: ercolinux.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: