Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:19:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "You are summoned for jury duity for a criminal superior session of court"  (Read 1822 times)
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 04:09:47 PM

Most of the time people want to get out of it but I actually would like to get ON the jury. Does anyone have any advise of how to get ON a jury?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 11:31:08 PM

Dress business casual, answer questions honestly and concisely but don't elaborately reveal your opinions (only yes/no/not sure if you can), appear interested in the process, and pray that they don't fill up all the juries for the day before they put you through voir dire.

Also, I haven't tried this yet, but try to get your service transferred to a superior court that has consistently heavy caseloads. The last time I was called, I went to a boondocky superior court that seemed to just have overflow from the more centrally located ones, and got sent home because only 2 cases needed juries that day, IIRC.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 11:39:39 PM

Dress business casual, answer questions honestly and concisely but don't elaborately reveal your opinions (only yes/no/not sure if you can), appear interested in the process, and pray that they don't fill up all the juries for the day before they put you through voir dire.

Also, I haven't tried this yet, but try to get your service transferred to a superior court that has consistently heavy caseloads. The last time I was called, I went to a boondocky superior court that seemed to just have overflow from the more centrally located ones, and got sent home because only 2 cases needed juries that day, IIRC.

thanks tbz. That sounds like good advise to me. I really hope I can save some poor innocent soul from the wrath of the state.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 04:09:02 AM

Most of the time people want to get out of it but I actually would like to get ON the jury. Does anyone have any advise of how to get ON a jury?
Practice being Mr. Friendly Average Joe.

Three words is enough for any sentence.

Five letters is enough for any word.

Know your numbers up to three.  Or five.

There are six cans in a six pack.
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 05:03:24 AM

I'm trying to practice looking attentive but dull. I have eyes that show my depth. I have to hide them. Cheesy

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 05:39:34 AM

I'm not sure if it's necessary to seem dull...

At least for the case I was sworn on*, both prosecutor and public defender seemed to just want alert, impartial jurors who wanted to be there and weren't stressed from loss of wages (juror stipend is a joke) or unhealthy.

I was ~19 but had graduated from high school at 16, been a intern journalist and copy editor for the local paper, and adults told me I seemed like an old man since I was ~10. I took more notes during the trial than anyone, and when both attorneys talked to us afterward, the jury's consensus was 1) that the defendant was the victim and acted in self-defense, and the "victim" should have been prosecuted instead for drawing blood 2) I would have been the foreman.

*that went to mistrial because of "unavailable witness"

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 07:29:21 AM

I'm not sure if it's necessary to seem dull...

At least for the case I was sworn on*, both prosecutor and public defender seemed to just want alert, impartial jurors who wanted to be there and weren't stressed from loss of wages (juror stipend is a joke) or unhealthy.

I was ~19 but had graduated from high school at 16, been a intern journalist and copy editor for the local paper, and adults told me I seemed like an old man since I was ~10. I took more notes during the trial than anyone, and when both attorneys talked to us afterward, the jury's consensus was 1) that the defendant was the victim and acted in self-defense, and the "victim" should have been prosecuted instead for drawing blood 2) I would have been the foreman.

*that went to mistrial because of "unavailable witness"

noted. thanks for the input.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 01:51:43 PM

I'm trying to practice looking attentive but dull. I have eyes that show my depth. I have to hide them. Cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwaxFAC6rzk
CoinCube
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 11:07:39 PM

thanks tbz. That sounds like good advise to me. I really hope I can save some poor innocent soul from the wrath of the state.

Just make sure they are innocent first. Plenty of cases with people who fully deserve the wrath of the state.

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 11:10:23 PM

Just make sure they are innocent first. Plenty of cases with people who fully deserve the wrath of the state.

oh sure. if there is a victim, a legitimate complaint and solid evidence than definitely.

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 11:17:23 PM

oh sure. if there is a victim, a legitimate complaint and solid evidence than definitely.

Lol.  If I were a lawyer picking a jury I would avoid you like the plague.  You have an strong bias and seeming agenda right out of the gate without even hearing about the case.

You will be dealing with professionals who are trained to detect that.

But good luck anyway.
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 11:21:00 PM

Lol.  If I were a lawyer picking a jury I would avoid you like the plague.  You have an strong bias and seeming agenda right out of the gate without even hearing about the case.

But good luck anyway.

thanks Grin

Duane Vick

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 03:12:34 AM

Google jury nullification.

1FMDNUutcKVTEAph3c8xCvZie7HaCC3xDt If you feel that I've contributed anything worthwhile, please donate.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 02:54:27 PM

But good luck anyway.
My experience with jury selection is it is pretty simple stuff, "let's pick homeowners not rents, let's try to get this age bracket/ethnicity/women or men", stuff like that.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 04:25:54 PM

I have been both picked for jury duty and not. When I was not picked I was dropped because I expressed my honest opinion (actually got into a sort of debate with the judge).

When I was picked I made sure that each of the lawyers knew that I was listening to their every word, nodding my head when needed, acting like every word that came out of their mouths was a fascinating truth. I helped to save a doctor from getting sued for malpractice when he was not guilty (swayed the jury from a knee jerk guilty verdict to not guilty).

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 08:20:32 PM

I have been both picked for jury duty and not. When I was not picked I was dropped because I expressed my honest opinion (actually got into a sort of debate with the judge).

When I was picked I made sure that each of the lawyers knew that I was listening to their every word, nodding my head when needed, acting like every word that came out of their mouths was a fascinating truth. I helped to save a doctor from getting sued for malpractice when he was not guilty (swayed the jury from a knee jerk guilty verdict to not guilty).

Thanks for telling me about your experience.

magdapani

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 08:36:00 PM

I like being a juror. Just have to be honest when they call you and interview you, most people are trying to get out of it.
FIJA

Activity: 4

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 05:21:39 PM

Kirsten Tynan of the Fully Informed Jury Association here. We actually have a brochure available that I recommend to everyone before they go to jury duty for exactly that purpose. It is called "Surviving Voir Dire" and can be downloaded from our website here, sixth brochure linked: http://fija.org/document-library/brochures/
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 05:32:00 PM

Kirsten Tynan of the Fully Informed Jury Association here. We actually have a brochure available that I recommend to everyone before they go to jury duty for exactly that purpose. It is called "Surviving Voir Dire" and can be downloaded from our website here, sixth brochure linked: http://fija.org/document-library/brochures/

It ended up being the case that there were no trials for the time that I was scheduled.

It's just so awesome what people like yourself are doing. People think that they have no power over the state any more, and as far as voting is concerned this is right, but they often don't realize that when they are a juror they actually do have the opportunity to have a real impact on the behaviour of their government. Its fascinating to me that people would be be in a patriotic fervour about voting when this will have no impact on anything and then act like jury duty is colossal inconvenience when this is a situation where their voice will actually be heard.

FIJA

Activity: 4

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 07:05:08 PM

We're happy to do it, and we invite everyone interested in spreading the word about jury nullification to join us. We have Jury Rights Day coming up on September 5, commemorating the famous jury nullification in the trial of William Penn in 1670, which led not only to strong protection for jurors' rights but also for freedoms of speech and religion. Groups and individuals around the country host Jury Rights Day events. They are very easy to do, so if anyone is interested in volunteering to host one, please check our Jury Rights Day web page: http://www.FIJA.org/jury-rights-day

FIJA is strictly an educational outreach organization. We don't do legal advocacy for or against any case in progress, give legal advice, or provide legal defense funds. However, we do try to conduct outreach activities in places that are particularly timely. I am particularly interested in getting some outreach going in New York City right now. There have been some prominent local people talking about jury nullification there, as well as some recent cases where people have called for jury nullification. It seems like a timely moment in this location to get a long-term jury nullification campaign going there. We also have the bonus benefit of an Opinion and Order from Judge Kimba Wood of the United States District Court Southern District of New York explicitly protecting jury nullification outreach per the FIJA guidelines, so this is just about the safest place in the country to do courthouse jury nullification education: http://fija.org/docs/Judge_Wood_opinion_Heicklen.pdf
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: