Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:32:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Liberty Dollar Creator Convicted in Federal Court  (Read 5024 times)
torbank (OP)

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 09:11:34 PM

Bernard von NotHaus was convicted Friday at the conclusion of an eight-day trial in U.S. District Court in Statesville. The jury deliberated less than two hours, according to the Department of Justice.

Charges remain pending against William Kevin Innes, an Asheville man who authorities said recruited merchants in Western North Carolina willing to accept the “barter” currency, according to court records. Innes was indicted along with von NotHaus in 2009.

“Attempts to undermine the legitimate currency of this country are simply a unique form of domestic terrorism,” U.S. Attorney Anne Tompkins said. “While these forms of anti-government activities do not involve violence, they are every bit as insidious and represent a clear and present danger to the economic stability of this country.”

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20110319/NEWS01/110319006/1001/news/Liberty-Dollar-fake-currency-creator-convicted-federal-court

Ludicrous. This does not bode well for BitCoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2011, 09:15:19 PM

Why not?  It seems a major design goal for Bitcoin was to resist being shut down.  Seems to me, crap like this is exactly why Bitcoin was invented.

I wonder if there's any individual (besides Ben Bernanke) who can honestly admit they were "defrauded" by Liberty Dollars as the fraud charges (as listed in the article) suggest.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
brocktice

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

Apparently I inspired this image.

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2011, 09:23:10 PM

Anne Tompkins needs to find a dictionary and look up 'terrorism'. Printing money, allegedly counterfeit or not, is not terrorism.

http://media.witcoin.com/p/1608/8----This-is-nuts

My #bitcoin-otc ratings: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=brocktice&sign=ANY&type=RECV

Like my post? Leave me a tip: 15Cgixqno9YzoKNEA2DRFyEAfMH5htssRg
torbank (OP)

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 09:24:56 PM

Why not?  It seems a major design goal for Bitcoin was to resist being shut down.  Seems to me, crap like this is exactly why Bitcoin was invented.

Just the fact that they are playing the "terrorism" card for this kind of thing.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 09:34:38 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, this is why you need kitty activism.  Grin

Anonymous

March 20, 2011, 03:23:43 AM

Does bitcoin look like the US dollar to you?

Id like to see them try that argument in court  Cheesy
dwdollar

Activity: 202
Merit: 109

GCC - Global cryptocurrency

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2011, 03:31:28 AM
Last edit: March 20, 2011, 03:42:06 AM by dwdollar

“Attempts to undermine the legitimate currency of this country are simply a unique form of domestic terrorism,” U.S. Attorney Anne Tompkins said. “While these forms of anti-government activities do not involve violence, they are every bit as insidious and represent a clear and present danger to the economic stability of this country."

Haha...  I think she's been reading too much Tom Clancy.

Unless she's using court rulings on free speech as precedent.

Either way she's a Joker.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 03:33:26 AM

Haha...  I think she's been reading too much Tom Clancy.

Let see if she make the argument that a bunch of kitty picture posting bitcoiners is clear and present danger to the economic stability of the United States.

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 01:44:45 AM

Anne Tompkins needs to find a dictionary and look up 'terrorism'. Printing money, allegedly counterfeit or not, is not terrorism.
As mentioned in the other thread on the topic, terrorism means whatever those in power want it to mean. It's why I always say, those not in power should resist using the term, and call out those who do use the term. If you automatically assume that anyone who uses the term is speaking crap, until demonstrated otherwise, you can resist the propaganda of the powerful.

On the actually topic, the person was just asking for trouble. Minting coins which are very similar to actual USA coins was always going to cause a hassle for them. They should have had a long talk with a lawyer before they went ahead with the enterprise. (And that's what it was, a business.)
Distribution

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 02:12:33 AM

As mentioned in the other thread on the topic, terrorism means whatever those in power want it to mean. It's why I always say, those not in power should resist using the term, and call out those who do use the term. If you automatically assume that anyone who uses the term is speaking crap, until demonstrated otherwise, you can resist the propaganda of the powerful.

On the actually topic, the person was just asking for trouble. Minting coins which are very similar to actual USA coins was always going to cause a hassle for them. They should have had a long talk with a lawyer before they went ahead with the enterprise. (And that's what it was, a business.)

Terrorism? That's easy: "HOMEGROWN TERRORISM.—The term ‘homegrown terrorism’ means the use, planned use, or threatened use, of force or violence by a group or individual born, raised, or based and operating primarily within the United States or any possession of the United States to intimidate or coerce the United States government, the civilian population of the United States, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives." http://thomas.loc.gov/home/gpoxmlc110/h1955_rfs.xml#toc-HF8673BDF18F64AE893B85D797135EDFD

Using force OR violence (meaning they're two different things) to coerce the government into adopting sound money is terrorism. By using Bitcoin and trying to persuade retailers to accept it, you're a terrorist. By threatening to live a month solely on Bitcoin and reneging on your pledge of allegiance to the Ben Bernanke, you're a terrorist.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 02:25:37 AM

Yeah, reading that it does seem like it won't be long before BitCoin is called terrorist money.
The shitty thing is a lot of people will believe it.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
CryptikEnigma

Activity: 336
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 06:42:05 AM

Seen this on infowars earlier today. 'Domestic Terrorism' LMAO Give me a break. Competing currencies is actually a wonderful idea. Like the old saying goes "Don't put all your eggs in one basket". And with the state of the dollar right now that statement is truer than ever when it comes to currency.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 02:14:32 PM

Seen this on infowars earlier today. 'Domestic Terrorism' LMAO Give me a break. Competing currencies is actually a wonderful idea. Like the old saying goes "Don't put all your eggs in one basket". And with the state of the dollar right now that statement is truer than ever when it comes to currency.

Yeah it's good for us to diversify but not the state haha, of course they don't want it.
The USD is worth what people think it's worth.

moneyandtech.com
goldmongler

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 08:23:06 PM

nothing new here. look up what happened to all the e-gold/buillion exchangers in the US back in the 90s they are all still in jail. there's a reason why nobody exchanges e-currencies in the US

find me an American based liberty reserve exchanger and i'll give you eleventy billion internets

Char-Lez Braden

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 08:27:13 PM

Is Bitcoin any different?
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 08:32:57 PM

Is Bitcoin any different?

Nope, wasn't trying to imply that.
Pretty much everything in the world is worth what someone else would pay for it.

Let's not try to bring the things you can't put a price on like "love" or whatever.

moneyandtech.com
CryptikEnigma

Activity: 336
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 10:34:37 PM

Yeah it's good for us to diversify but not the state haha, of course they don't want it.

Exactly, and the world doesn't think too highly of the Dollar right now. I remember Timothy Geithner was giving a speech to some Chinese students, and when he said the dollar is strong, they all burst out laughing.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 10:47:36 PM

Exactly, and the world doesn't think too highly of the Dollar right now. I remember Timothy Geithner was giving a speech to some Chinese students, and when he said the dollar is strong, they all burst out laughing.

Yeah that's funny as hell, the dollar might not be strong but what's backing the dollar is.
Obviously not gold but the U.S. military.

moneyandtech.com
Distribution

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 11:04:04 PM

Yeah that's funny as hell, the dollar might not be strong but what's backing the dollar is.
Obviously not gold but the U.S. military.

So where can I redeem my FRNs for air strikes?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 12:35:16 AM

There was a guest post on ZeroHedge:

Thoughts On The Liberty Dollar Debacle

Today, in the face of possibly the greatest economic catastrophe in the history of the world, Americans are beginning to show an aptitude for independence. We are becoming unpredictable, and this frightens government.

They are moving to call us terrorists, because they truly are terrified of alternative market systems. They have tipped their hand. Which means, we must keep doing exactly what we are already doing.

- http://www.zerohedge.com/article/guest-post-thoughts-liberty-dollar-debacle

And a quite interesting comment in response:

by TraderTimm
on Fri, 03/25/2011 - 19:31

May I suggest bitcoin?

http://www.bitcoin.org/

Advantages:
  • Encrypted transactions
  • Peer-to-Peer Robustness
  • Incentive for 'miners' to process transactions and raise the complexity level where organized attack is prohibitive. (Using botnets, etc..)
  • Route around Central Bank, Federal Reserve, Political Policy bungling
  • No arbitrary limits or 'minimums' - divisible to fractions if necessary
  • Geometric curve which limits total 'minted' - limit to be hit in about 130 years at current rate
  • Transparency via the blockchain for transactions to be verified
  • One-way transactions - you cannot spend bitcoins again and again (nor can you 'print' them by any means)

That about covers it. I hold a small amount of bitcoins and that is the extent of my involvement.

Route around manipulated fiat currency like a defective node on the internet.

Other links:

Charts - http://mtgox.com/trade/history (click 'last' or 'all time')

http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/

Don't like the federal reserve?

Don't like central banks?

Do something about it.

Cheers.

- http://www.zerohedge.com/article/guest-post-thoughts-liberty-dollar-debacle#comment-1101593

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █