Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 01:02:07 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is Mt. Gox Solvent?  (Voting closed: February 20, 2014, 07:56:12 PM)
Yes, customer balances are safe - 67 (51.5%)
No, the company will be forced to declare bankruptcy - 63 (48.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Is Mt. Gox Solvent?  (Read 2348 times)
glorycoin (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 07:56:12 PM

Is Mt Gox being honest about the source of it's withdrawl problems (namely, bank money transfer issues and tx malleability attack) or is the company hiding the fact it's lost customer bitcoins and funds?

Will the announced technology fix allow the company to resume normal operations and pay out all customer funds?  Or does the company have less assets than customer account balances and be forced to liquidate (through a bankruptcy, lawsuit, or other legal process)?

If the "wisdom of crowds" is to be believed, the result of this pool should help determine the proper discount to apply to Mt Gox BTC.

H/T: A similar poll being conducted at:

http://BITCOINpeeps.com/mtgoxpoll
CrashX

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 08:05:34 AM

Mt.Gox is Dead.  Doesn't matter what it does or doesn't.  The ONLY question, is will BITCOIN survive?

Scenario #1

MT. Gox fixes the problem, EVERY user will withdraw BTC and FIAT at the same time, which will cause the market to crash even more.

Scenario #2

Gox knows that Scenario #1 could happened so they limit on how much BTC each user could withdraw, which will create a Panic Sale and try to withdraw FIAT.

Scenario #3

Gox knows that Scenario #2 could happened so they limit on how much BTC and FIAT each user could withdraw, which will killed the market..

Scenario #4

Gox goes into Bankruptcy, taking Crypto to hell and under, which will take a very very long time to recover, if ever.

AND THIS OPTION APPLY, to any scenario and its applying already.

In the Public View, Bitcoin and Crypto Currency is and always been a Ponzi Scheme. <-- They have been calling Bitcoin, that for the longest time.
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:28:04 AM

Once the BTC withdrawals on MtGox will resume tomorrow (the official statement), price on MtGox will quickly jump to
the level of Bitstamp or even a bit above. After that, it's anybody's guess...

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:44:25 AM

Mt.Gox is Dead.  Doesn't matter what it does or doesn't.  The ONLY question, is will BITCOIN survive?

Scenario #1

MT. Gox fixes the problem, EVERY user will withdraw BTC and FIAT at the same time, which will cause the market to crash even more.

Scenario #2

Gox knows that Scenario #1 could happened so they limit on how much BTC each user could withdraw, which will create a Panic Sale and try to withdraw FIAT.

Scenario #3

Gox knows that Scenario #2 could happened so they limit on how much BTC and FIAT each user could withdraw, which will killed the market..

Scenario #4

Gox goes into Bankruptcy, taking Crypto to hell and under, which will take a very very long time to recover, if ever.

AND THIS OPTION APPLY, to any scenario and its applying already.

In the Public View, Bitcoin and Crypto Currency is and always been a Ponzi Scheme. <-- They have been calling Bitcoin, that for the longest time.

nice one with the FUD/ btc withdrawls and fiat withdrawls have zero (none) effect on price. but, good attempt at making it seem like you know what you're talking about.

actually not very good. since it seems that your train of logic (scenario) 1 is very common among the fudsters. too bad it doesn't make any sense no matter how hard you try

ok
mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:45:09 PM

They're making shitloads of money every day from trading fees. Even if they've lost millions because of their stupidity and poor luck, they're still solvent.

I really really do not understand why people are selling at these (Gox) prices. If they view Gox as insolvent, do they really think it's better to hold GoxFiat as opposed to GoxBTC?
hgamezoom

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 01:58:09 PM

I believe Gox is solvent, they earn the trading fee every day  and I can't see a reason that they can in a big lost.
btbrae

Activity: 680

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 02:52:42 PM

Not sure. But having a rotting dead carcass the size of Mtgox stinking up the Bitcoin waters will crash the price on every other exchange, IMO. Some people think it will be a good thing, I understand why, but once the media gets hold of this Bitcoin is going south.
Armis

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 02:59:51 PM

They're making shitloads of money every day from trading fees. Even if they've lost millions because of their stupidity and poor luck, they're still solvent.

I really really do not understand why people are selling at these (Gox) prices. If they view Gox as insolvent, do they really think it's better to hold GoxFiat as opposed to GoxBTC?

according to my understanding of their memo, withdrawing fiat of any kind is not an issue, the only issue is withdrawing btc to an third party (external)
torry28
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 03:06:21 PM

I see big withdrawals problems with MtGox last 6 months, Im surprised anyone is using MtGox Shocked

If they could independly prove they have enought funds NOW to pay everybody ballance, I would be using MtGox, but many have so little information about withdrawals delays they still using this ponzi exchange. Obviously MtGox is insolvent, the sonner they close shop, the better for Bitcoin.
Armis

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 03:07:11 PM

Not sure. But having a rotting dead carcass the size of Mtgox stinking up the Bitcoin waters will crash the price on every other exchange, IMO. Some people think it will be a good thing, I understand why, but once the media gets hold of this Bitcoin is going south.

the media will have their moment, but they only shape the market when the coin buyers are listening to them, at this point the market isn't going down because of non-holders not buying, it would only go down from btc holders selling.   And since all of the other exchanges have corrected their problem, and disconnected their pricing connection with MG, there is nothing to fear, the simply make the statement:  "we are sorry to see our colleague go, ... we will provide smooth transition of account transfers, btc is strong, ... secure, ... reliable, ... dependable, ... responsive, ... responsible, ...
Armis

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 03:09:38 PM

I see big withdrawals problems with MtGox last 6 months, Im surprised anyone is using MtGox Shocked

If they could independly prove they have enought funds NOW to pay everybody ballance, I would be using MtGox, but many have so little information about withdrawals delays they still using this ponzi exchange. Obviously MtGox is insolvent, the sonner they close shop, the better for Bitcoin.

In the US the word "ponzi" is a very bad word in the financial world, you might want to run over to wikipedia to read up on it.
torry28
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 03:15:07 PM

In the US the word "ponzi" is a very bad word in the financial world, you might want to run over to wikipedia to read up on it.

I mean they need more new deposits to pay current user ballances, thats why I call it ponzi. Unless independly audited and proved me wrong, I believe all available info support calling MtGox ponzi exchange
CrashX

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:30:12 AM

Once the BTC withdrawals on MtGox will resume tomorrow (the official statement), price on MtGox will quickly jump to
the level of Bitstamp or even a bit above. After that, it's anybody's guess...

Umm... Keep your finger cross.  Never the less Mt. Gox is dead, what ever happens will crash the market after a sale. Will see in afew hours which scenario is correct.
CrashX

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:32:13 AM

The reason is better to hold FIAT, its for a possible lawsuit. As Digital Currency doesn't have value in the face of law, if anybody is planning to sue Gox its better to hold FIAT with the company, as a court or Jury will better understand it.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 02:34:50 AM

I'd say they're solvent based on the arbitrage opportunity they've had over the past few days. If the company was in trouble, they could have easily corrected their balance sheets by buying MtGox coins and selling them on other markets.
CrashX

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:42:15 AM

nice one with the FUD/ btc withdrawls and fiat withdrawls have zero (none) effect on price. but, good attempt at making it seem like you know what you're talking about.

actually not very good. since it seems that your train of logic (scenario) 1 is very common among the fudsters. too bad it doesn't make any sense no matter how hard you try

Correction, it shouldn't have an effect on Bitcoin, but it is. If your a trader, you know what.

But soon, will see what will happen, wont be. Im certain that one of my scenarios is correct, and Im willing to escrow 10BTC in a bet.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 03:24:06 AM

In almost every scenario I see people running to FIAT somehow.

If they do have BTC withdrawals (best possible outcome) ...MTGOX price skyrockets and shortly thereafter all other large exchanges prices dump as people get out and into fiat.

Seems to be the herd mentality right now.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:25:56 AM

Consider this:

In the last 30 days alone, MtGox has made more than $3 million in trading fees.
CrashX

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 08:02:02 PM

It looks like they decided to pick Scenario #3

With this new system in place, MtGox should be able to resume withdrawals
soon. At the beginning we will do so at a moderated pace and with new daily/
monthly limits
in place to prevent any problems with the new system and to take
into account current market conditions.

https://www.mtgox.com/img/pdf/20140217-Announcement.pdf

Now was that FUD? Told your ass, that one of my Scenario will of have happened.
Armis

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 08:10:20 PM

Consider this:

In the last 30 days alone, MtGox has made more than $3 million in trading fees.

don't expect that to go up

people are getting out, only the hardcore greedy gamblers are willingly riding it out
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: