Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:48:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Making the world a better place with Bitcoins  (Read 6396 times)
Waldschrat (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 04:31:05 PM
Last edit: October 23, 2011, 03:19:27 PM by Waldschrat

This is the main "Amani-Kinderdorf" Bitcoin donation thread. If you want to donate, just go to http://amani-kinderdorf.de/index.php?id=213&L=1 and check for the Bitcoin address at the bottom. Your donation is highly appreciated and even small amounts can make a real difference.

Amani-Kinderdorf (meaning Amani orphanage) is a German NGO working with and for AIDS-orphans from Tanzania. The term AIDS orphans refers to the fact that these children lost their parents because of AIDS, not to the fact that they are infected themselves. Only a small number of these children actually has to live with AIDS.The Amani organisation built two pretty big orphanages in rural Tanzania so far and is always looking forward to get some financial help to fund their various projects mentioned on their site.
If you want to learn more about their work, just check it out: http://amani-kinderdorf.de/index.php?id=1&L=1

If you have any questions about the work of this organisation, please don't hesitate to contact me directly in this thread or via PM.
Unfortunately the children in these orphanages don't know (yet) what a Bitcoin is but I really hope that they can benefit from their existence. Wink

//edit: just fixed some typos...
//edit 2: It was mentioned that the term AIDS-orphan may have been used to gain more sympathies and thus more Bitcoins. As I pointed out below this term just refers to the fact that many orphans lost their parents to AIDS. OF COURSE these orphanages in Tanzania are open for ALL orphans and not just for those who lost their parents to AIDS.
//edit3: Rewrote some stuff due to public demand

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 06:12:40 PM

Are you tired of Bitcoins? Do you have lost faith in the idea of getting rich fast by speculating on Bitcoins? Do you want to get rid of your Bitcoins as fast as possible and make the world a much better place at the same time?

Here is how you can achieve this:
I hope my donation as someone who is not at all tired of Bitcoin works just as well for making the world a better place Wink

Are you affiliated with Amani-Kinderdorf? Do you know if they are in any way related to SOS-Kinderdorf?
Anyway - keep up the good work!

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Anonymous

October 04, 2011, 06:14:31 PM

Can you give us a number on how much money reaches the actual cause over what is spent on the organization itself? Efficiency represented in a percentage, if you will?
Waldschrat (OP)

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 06:29:59 PM

I hope my donation as someone who is not at all tired of Bitcoin works just as well for making the world a better place  Wink
It definitely just works as well! Wink Thanks a lot for your donation. I was just alluding to all the discussions on this forum about Bitcoins failing.

Are you affiliated with Amani-Kinderdorf?
Well, I worked for them in Tanzania for a while but I'm not a decision-maker within the organization.However, I should be able to answer most of your questions. Smiley

Do you know if they are in any way related to SOS-Kinderdorf?
Nope, they are not related to the SOS-Kinderdorf initiative. Amani-Kinderdorf is an independent organization, which is just working on several projects in Tanzania. They are not (yet) as global as SOS-Kinderdorf. btw: 'Amani' is a Swahili word and means 'peace'.

Anyway - keep up the good work!
Thank you. If you people keep up the good donations, this NGO can keep up its good work. Wink

Can you give us a number on how much money reaches your cuase over what is spent on the organization itself? Efficiency represented in a percentage, if you will?
Unfortunately I can't answer this question right now as I don't have the exact figures. Anyway, I will forward your question to someone who should have them and post the answer here as soon as I have it.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2011, 08:02:22 PM

Can you explain the reasoning for having a "parents died of AIDS" orphanage? I mean if there were extra spots would you let other kinds of orphans in? Or does it just happen than most orphans are of this type because that's what poor parents die of most of the time and mentioning AIDS gets more sympathy?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Waldschrat (OP)

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 08:23:34 PM

Well, I know this kind of reaction when it comes to organizations working in developing countries. Most people are suspicious and I probably can't do anything to convince them of any good intentions we might have.
But at least I can try to answer your question:

I don't have exact figures but I would guess that up to 90 percent of the children living in these orphanages lost their parents to AIDS or AIDS-related diseases. The mentioning of AIDS in this context was just done to illustrate that sad fact and not to gain more sympathies.
Of course the orphanage is open to any kind of orphans but unfortunately the majority happens to be orphaned because of AIDS. But once again: The organization won't show any child the door just because he or she was orphaned by anything else but AIDS.

Waldschrat (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 05:44:07 PM

Well, I think Bitcoin is the source of donations due to its various advantages. It has never been so easy before to donate a bit love. Even very small amounts are no problem at all and reach their destination in minutes.

Just for your information: Amani has already received 2.5 Bitcoins in total which is not that bad for one day, imho. Thanks a lot to everybody who has donated so far. Smiley

Waldschrat (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 05:05:43 PM

Sorry for the delay but the person I was asking was having a bad cold. But finally I got an answer to your question, Immanuel:

Can you give us a number on how much money reaches the actual cause over what is spent on the organization itself? Efficiency represented in a percentage, if you will?
In 2010 the organisation had to pay a bit less than 4 % for administration costs. In 2011 the administrative costs are 3,9 % so far.
Thanks for the question!

Waldschrat (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 12:13:56 PM

We are now also listed on Bitcoins for Charity.
Thanks to everybody who has donated so far! Smiley

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2011, 12:59:13 PM

Nice start, thus far: http://blockexplorer.com/address/1NoA98grVfXfVqysU4ijM9jhMBD8vmrUC8

Rid this:

Are you tired of Bitcoins? Do you have lost faith in the idea of getting rich fast by speculating on Bitcoins? Do you want to get rid of your Bitcoins as fast as possible and make the world a much better place at the same time?

And I'll donate 1 BTC. PM me when done, and I'll do my part as promised.

Bruno
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 01:26:32 PM

Rid this:

I think it was good humor, but I agree that a neutral donation thread to this organization would be better. A new thread maybe, with the extended information in the first post.

Donated some. Will donate more later. Smiley

I never thought bitcoins as donation source... Great idea though! I hope you get what you need!

I agree with Waldschrat, it's the best tool for donations by far.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2011, 01:40:25 PM

Rid this:

I think it was good humor, but I agree that a neutral donation thread to this organization would be better. A new thread maybe, with the extended information in the first post.

I never thought bitcoins as donation source... Great idea though! I hope you get what you need!

I agree with you as being good humor. I remember the time frame of when it was written--Bitcoin going D,D,D. I somewhat forgot that fact, though, when I posted my last post on this thread. Thank you for re-bringing it to my attention. That said, it still doesn't set well with me, today. The cause is a noble one and having a Bitcoin link on an established website is a great feat, in and of itself.
Waldschrat (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 03:31:00 PM

@Phinnaeus Gage: I rid the paragraph you mentioned. I was just referring to the ongoing flame wars about Bitcoin being dead and thought (and still think) it would be a good idea to add some humor, even if the topic is serious. Anyhow, I do agree that some people may feel a bit offended by this and just deleted these parts to make the start post as neutral as possible.
Thanks a lot in advance for your Bitcoin! Smiley

Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but what is the difference between this and me just claiming I'm giving it to poor kids?
Well, you can't link to a website available in two languages describing all the projects in detail and even showing many pictures from Tanzania, do you? Maybe the fact that we are now listed on Bitcoins for charity and our German Wikipedia article could add some more credibility. If you are still in doubt, feel free to tell me which other proof you need to be sure that this organization is no scam.

@memvola: Thanks a lot for your donations. Do you still think a new thread is needed or does the entry post suffice now?

memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 05:32:30 PM

@memvola: Thanks a lot for your donations. Do you still think a new thread is needed or does the entry post suffice now?

I think this thread is informative enough. Next donation tomorrow. I'd love to see direct donation possibility for more hands-on organizations like this.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2011, 07:22:22 PM

Rid this:

I agree with you as being good humor. I remember the time frame of when it was written--Bitcoin going D,D,D. I somewhat forgot that fact, though, when I posted my last post on this thread. Thank you for re-bringing it to my attention. That said, it still doesn't set well with me, today. The cause is a noble one and having a Bitcoin link on an established website is a great feat, in and of itself.

I just replied to Waldschrat via a PM. I have donated 1 BTC as promised. Not much, but every tad helps their cause and, moreover, the Bitcoin movement. (is movement the right term?)

Bruno
Waldschrat (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 09:38:48 PM

Thank you both for donating even more, respectively keeping your word. You guys rock! Smiley

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2011, 12:35:21 AM

@Phinnaeus Gage: I rid the paragraph you mentioned. I was just referring to the ongoing flame wars about Bitcoin being dead and thought (and still think) it would be a good idea to add some humor, even if the topic is serious. Anyhow, I do agree that some people may feel a bit offended by this and just deleted these parts to make the start post as neutral as possible.
Thanks a lot in advance for your Bitcoin! Smiley

Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but what is the difference between this and me just claiming I'm giving it to poor kids?
Well, you can't link to a website available in two languages describing all the projects in detail and even showing many pictures from Tanzania, do you? Maybe the fact that we are now listed on Bitcoins for charity and our German Wikipedia article could add some more credibility. If you are still in doubt, feel free to tell me which other proof you need to be sure that this organization is no scam.

This is a 100% legit organization with a web presence spanning several years. Whois and WayBack confirms this, therefore I didn't take the time to see if there's a Tom Williams somewhere in the organization, for if there is, it'll be a different TW.

Bruno
Waldschrat (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 10:15:11 AM

This is a 100% legit organization with a web presence spanning several years
Thanks for pointing that out. If anyone is still in doubt, you may want to write an eMail to the Amani management to confirm their work. Their contact details are listed on the website.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 12:07:30 AM

I like this charity, hence the bump. Moreover, I just donated another Bitcoin to this organization. Not much, but I'm willing to bet somebody's going to get to eat a meal because of it.

Here's the link: http://amani-kinderdorf.de/index.php?id=213&L=1
Waldschrat (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 10:42:05 AM

Thanks for your donation, Phinnaeau Gage. Somehow however it didn't show up and it's even not listed on Block Explorer. Did you use the address 1NoA98grVfXfVqysU4ijM9jhMBD8vmrUC8 ?
P.S: Sorry for the late reply

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: