Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:33:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox adds redeemer for private keys including Casascius Physical Bitcoins  (Read 8436 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 01:09:33 PM

I'm pleased to be able to report that MagicalTux has just added the ability to redeem Bitcoin private keys on MtGox.

Simply go to the "Add Funds" screen.  There is a new choice: "Redeem Private Key".  There are sub-choices for full length private keys versus the ones used on Casascius coins.

When you enter a code, it is treated as a new deposit to your account (including you must wait for six confirmations).

MagicalTux says that when you redeem a code, MtGox keeps the private key and will auto-sweep any future funds sent to that key into your MtGox account.

I did a quick test, tearing open one of my coins.  For the time being, the only immediate response is "Sending code...", the balance of the coin is not shown on the screen, possibly until the six confirmations are received.  However I could see that the coin balance got swept by checking the unconfirmed transactions list at bitcoincharts.

Round of applause for MagicalTux for these and the other newly released features on MtGox.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 01:47:55 PM

GREAT JOB!

Will add some nice liquidity + boost your sales

I'm thinking of buying a few of your Casascius Physical Bitcoins as gifts now. Maybe for the future you can add like a 'How to Redeem' for newbies instructions using MtGox.

Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 01:52:12 PM

hmmm more ways to put money into gox.

if i weren't having trouble getting money out of gox, i'd find this really handy.

well, hopefully it sets the scene for more websites to do something similar.

good stuff.
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 01:53:27 PM

This is great!  Another venue to get hold of these lovely coins!
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 02:01:38 PM

if i weren't having trouble getting money out of gox, i'd find this really handy.

We're working on that right now  Wink
Soon, we'll have instant withdrawals in addition to our current instant deposits. Supporting 5 bitcoin exchanges.
Will keep ya updated

BitInstant.com

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 02:13:27 PM

So am I right in thinking this allows using bitaddress.org to print a paper wallet.

Then do some transactions receiving BTC and then easily dump the balance into MtGox?

All without the vulnerability of wallet.dat being hacked or needing to use a client or download the block chain? This seems like a nice way for lightweight Bitcoin users to get going quickly.

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 02:22:08 PM

So am I right in thinking this allows using bitaddress.org to print a paper wallet.

Then do some transactions receiving BTC and then easily dump the balance into MtGox?

All without the vulnerability of wallet.dat being hacked or needing to use a client or download the block chain? This seems like a nice way for lightweight Bitcoin users to get going quickly.

YES.  In my ideal vision of Bitcoin, the average unbanked (and computer illiterate) Joe should be able to use bitcoins without needing to run software or download a block chain.  Joe should be able to think of paper wallets much the same as gift cards.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Tonka Branded Truck

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 05:00:07 PM

This is so awesome!! Glad you're doing strong work.

Cryptoman

Activity: 726

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 05:27:17 PM

I tried it too and still have the "Sending code..." message at the top of the screen.  I sent some coins to the address, so we'll see what happens.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 05:49:39 PM

I did a quick test, tearing open one of my coins.
How much do you charge for a "circulated physical bitcoin"? I mean a complete used coin, that was loaded, tamper-evident seal torn off, bitcoin then spent. Something of numismatic quality "very fine grade circulated", I guess the seal will be evidently damaged, but still recognizable and 100% readable, maybe glued back to a piece of transparent plastic?

Terms: payment in USPS money order, shipment 1st class contiguous states.

Thanks.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
Cryptoman

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 06:12:38 PM

8 confirmations and no joy.    Undecided

EDIT: So what's the easiest way to import a private key to gain control over my missing coins?

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 08:44:16 PM

I use StrongCoin.com because all private key math is done on my computer in Javascript and not on the server.  The server only keeps encrypted versions of the private keys so the server (and server owner) does not have access to the Bitcoins.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 08:47:42 PM

Hopefully the sweepprivkey proposal will become more of a reality than a proposal, and then every website that accepts Bitcoins can be easily made to also accept Bitcoin deposits directly.

MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 03:12:14 AM

We have fixed the bug with the "sending code" message remaining.

Please also make sure you did not make any mistake when writing the private key (it'll show you any bitcoin that was swept).
mndrix
Michael Hendricks
VIP

Activity: 447
Merit: 258

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 03:09:08 PM

We have fixed the bug with the "sending code" message remaining.

It looks like a new bug has been introduced.  On the page for redeeming private keys, there are two options labeled "Standard private key". It looks like this:

Cryptoman

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 05:00:00 PM

OK, so I tried entering the private address again and got a message:

Private address added to your virtual wallet with address 1xxxxx......

This has me a little confused.  I originally generated the keypair using bitaddress.org.  It provided me with both a Bitcoin address and a private key.  Mt Gox doesn't have the public key from this keypair, so they cannot generate a corresponding address.  The address they gave me is not the correct one for the original keypair, of course.  What does this new address do, specifically?  Why do I need another address if I still have the original?  Does Mt Gox now own my private key, and should I no longer use the associated address?  The balance from the imported key still hasn't shown up in my account.

nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 05:12:36 PM

Does it support sending back out via that private key? That would be awesome.

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2011, 05:17:15 PM

Does it support sending back out via that private key? That would be awesome.

You wouldn't want this.  It has non-ideal security implications.  If you want to stay safe, don't re-use private keys once you've typed them into a website.  Use a new one.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2011, 05:49:52 PM

Of course it supports it all you have to do is tell Mt Gox to send Bitcoins to the corresponding public key, however since you have imported the private key into your Mt Gox account the coins would just be sent from your Mt Gox account back into your Mt Gox account, unless I am missing something in your question.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
andrewbadr

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

Posts made Jan-March 2017 are not by me

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 06:47:12 PM

Great work! I'm handing out some of my casascius coins to friends, and having this feature will make the explanation a lot easier.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: