Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:34:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [OpenSource live USB OS] BitSafe, a safety deposit box for your bitcoins.  (Read 19479 times)
rb1205 (OP)

Activity: 797
Merit: 1017

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 10:14:24 PM

Version 0.4 released. It's just to update bitcoin client to version 0.5

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2011, 05:05:44 AM
Last edit: November 26, 2011, 05:44:29 AM by Red Emerald

Did you build the UPNP support?  I'm adding namecoin to my fork and want to keep it consistent.

How do I build an ISO instead of an IMG? I thought "lb config -b iso" would do it, but that doesn't seem to work. Sad

rb1205 (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2011, 04:46:27 PM
Last edit: November 26, 2011, 05:26:18 PM by rb1205

Did you build the UPNP support?

You mean bitcoin or the OS? The bitcoin I use is the binary release from the homepage and no, i did not incude any library or binary for upnp in the image. Please note that I set up iptables to drop all incoming traffic, so you may want to soften it a bit.

How do I build an ISO instead of an IMG? I thought "lb config -b iso" would do it, but that doesn't seem to work.

That's because of the auto/config script: every time you use lb config you launch the standard configuration (note the " Executing auto/config script." debug output).
To avoid this, either use the noauto mode ("lb config noauto -b iso", or iso-hybrid) after a normal "lb config" or edit the auto/config script setting --binary-images to iso.

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 07:15:23 PM

I'm building an IMG now.  Wish me luck.

I noticed that tor was installing from the debian repos.  The Tor Project recommends that you use their repos to be sure you get updates ASAP.

https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian

I changed my build system's sources.list, but I've never worked with live-build before, so I'm not quite sure if I need to make a sources.list for live-build.

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 01:45:02 AM

I ended up using the IMG instead of an ISO.

It took me a few steps to get it working on Mac with VirtualBox like I want it to.  (I don't have a machine that I want to boot from USB)

1. Convert the IMG to a VDI: VBoxManage convertfromraw -format VDI binary.img binary.vdi
2. Go into VirtualBox and create a VM with a harddrive w/e size you want (I chose 20GB, although it doesn't seem to be using all of it)
3. Clone the data on your new hd using:
VBoxManage clonehd –existing binary.vdi newhd.vdi
4. Launch VirtualBox and boot into the VM
5. sudo apt-get install gparted (not sure if this part matters)
6. make an EXT2 partition with label "live-rw" that fills the rest of the HD (not sure if this part matters)
7. Run the "Format Storage" tool.  This overrote my large image with a 1.86GB crypt-luks.

Is there anyway to make this encrypted storage larger? I am running both bitcoin and namecoin and need the storage to be larger.

How did you get bitcoin to use /storage/bitcoin instead of $HOME/.bitcoin?  I can't seem to find anything that sets that path, but I want to do the same for my namecoind. EDIT: aha! I found the wrapper scripts in src/chroot_local-includes/usr/bin/storage_wrappers/

I'll have some more pull requests up soon (mostly just fixing typos in docs and comments). I really like the notification scripts when anything happens.  Great work so far!

simonk83

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 03:24:48 AM

I'll be installing this tonight, good work Smiley   I agree though that I'd much prefer the current blockchain (or most of it, obviously) to be included by default.    It's such a painful task downloading that thing, I hate doing it Sad

On that note, I'd love to see Electrum included with this in the future.  Would make a good match I think.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50936.0
simonk83

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 08:17:04 AM

Is there any chance you can include Truecrypt as part of the default install?    That'd be awesome Smiley
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 06:51:24 PM

Is there any chance you can include Truecrypt as part of the default install?    That'd be awesome Smiley
The persistent storage is already encrypted. How many times do you want to encrypt your wallet?

simonk83

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 08:05:31 PM

The persistent storage is already encrypted. How many times do you want to encrypt your wallet?

Fair enough Cheesy  To be fair, when I wrote that, I'd just installed BitSafe and needed a way to decrypt my already encrypted wallet.  Didn't really cross my mind that the storage partition would end up encrypted anyway, but now that I've managed to install Truecrypt once and decrypt my wallet, I won't need to worry about it again.
rb1205 (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 11:43:16 PM

Is there anyway to make this encrypted storage larger? I am running both bitcoin and namecoin and need the storage to be larger.
Sure, just edit the BITSAFE_MIN_FREE variable in the bitsafe.live.conf. Now that I look at it, it's really a bad name.... I'll change it to something more intuitive.

I'll have some more pull requests up soon (mostly just fixing typos in docs and comments). I really like the notification scripts when anything happens.  Great work so far!
Nice  Smiley

I'll be installing this tonight, good work Smiley   I agree though that I'd much prefer the current blockchain (or most of it, obviously) to be included by default.    It's such a painful task downloading that thing, I hate doing it Sad

On that note, I'd love to see Electrum included with this in the future.  Would make a good match I think.
I'm working on a script that downloads, checks and installs a copy of the chain from a trusted source.
Regarding alternative/thin client, for now i'll stick with the official client only.

Well, Truecrypt could be useful for managing backups. For now, I added it on a side branch.

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 12:52:27 AM
Last edit: November 30, 2011, 01:21:02 AM by Red Emerald

Have you seen rsnapshot?  It is a super simple way to do backups.  The only problem is that it doesn't have any sort of encryption.  maybe if you connected it with truecrypt, that could work.

In my searches, I also came across http://duplicity.nongnu.org/. I haven't used it yet, but it sounds like it would be easy to do encrypted and compressed backups.

EDIT: You really do have strict firewall rules!  I added some code to "tor-route-disable" to get bitcoind and namecoind to accept rpc commands.

Code:
#Allow loopback connections to bitcoind and namecoind
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -p tcp --dport 8332 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -p tcp --dport 9332 -j ACCEPT

btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 01:57:09 PM

Interesting project.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
fivemileshigh

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 09:01:22 PM

Download the Binary Image file and flash it on your drive.

On Linux: sudo dd if=/path/to/binary.img of=/dev/sdX (where sdX is the name of your device)
On Windows: I recommend Image Writer. You'll need to launch it as administrator. Go pick the downloaded binary.img file, choose the letter of the drive you wish to install bitsafe on and press "Write".

What would you suggest to use on a Mac? I tried Disk Utility and I got: "Restore Failure - Could not validate source - Invalid argument"

Thanks!

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2011, 11:37:13 PM

Download the Binary Image file and flash it on your drive.

On Linux: sudo dd if=/path/to/binary.img of=/dev/sdX (where sdX is the name of your device)
On Windows: I recommend Image Writer. You'll need to launch it as administrator. Go pick the downloaded binary.img file, choose the letter of the drive you wish to install bitsafe on and press "Write".

What would you suggest to use on a Mac? I tried Disk Utility and I got: "Restore Failure - Could not validate source - Invalid argument"

Thanks!

Use dd.  Mac's have it and it should work exactly the same as on linux.

rb1205 (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2011, 09:44:29 AM

I found this miniguide, as said you should be able to use dd as on Linux, but you have to unmount the device first.

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2011, 06:06:23 PM

I found this miniguide, as said you should be able to use dd as on Linux, but you have to unmount the device first.
Oh yeah. I forgot about that step.  Un-mounting the flash drive should let dd work.  Don't eject it though.

simonk83

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 03:23:01 AM

Stupid question alert!

I'm not good with Linux.  At all.   How do I go about updating bitcoin to 0.5.1 in this installation?

Thanks Cheesy
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 03:46:27 AM

Stupid question alert!

I'm not good with Linux.  At all.   How do I go about updating bitcoin to 0.5.1 in this installation?

Thanks Cheesy
If you aren't good with linux.  Wait until rb1205 comes out with a new IMG for you to use. That, or start learning Smiley

simonk83

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 03:58:57 AM

I'll wait, just wasn't sure if development had stopped...
rb1205 (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 10:12:47 AM

Hi! No, development hasn't stopped. To upgrade the bitcoin client to 5.1 you have to rebuild the image, it's an easy task but you need a functional debian system to do that, which doesn't seem to be your case. Just wait my next release  Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: