Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:20:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Different between Token and Coin ?  (Read 461 times)
davidka

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 01:39:04 PM

Token and coins are often confused and used interchangeably, while in fact they are different.
- Coin - use its own platform and operate independently. Coin does not require any other platform to operate, but rather, operates on their own independent Blockchain, on which they are "native currency". Bitcoin is a coin, and so are Litecoin and Ethereum - Litecoin and Ethereum are altcoins, meaning they are alternatives to Bitcoin in a number of ways. There are two types of popular altcoins.
Alternative coins are constructed with the original Blockcoin derived code with the modifications and changes (Dogecoin, Litecoin).
Alternative coins are built with new and independent blockchains (eg Ethereum, Icon, AION).
- Token - Built on an existing blockchain or protocol. Token often represents a property or utility. Since Token is created on an existing Blockchain, they are easy to create and most of the tokens we see today are based on Ethereum blockchain:
Utility Token - These tokens are not designed as an investment. They will be used to trade, exchange and access products or services, basically providing a "utility". Since they are not considered investments, these tokens are exempt from statutory audits (for example, Tokens are used to identify or play a Blockchain-based game).
Security Token - These tokens are considered as investment property and must comply with securities laws. For example, the SEC (US Securities Trading Commission) uses the Howey Test to verify whether a Token is a security. If a Token does not meet the Howey Test, it is considered a stock. If a company meets all regulatory requirements, this tokens are most likely to be widely applied. The largest use case is for companies that issue symbolic token representations of ownership in a company or property, like stock.
gabum19

Activity: 224
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 01:52:18 PM

I sure that you have saw it - Token and Coin
I know Crypto have two kind of: Bitcoin and Altcoin
Please tell me what is different between and Token and Coin  Grin

The main difference between Coins and Tokens is in their structure; Coins are separate currencies with their own separate blockchain, while Tokens operate on top of a blockchain that facilitates the creation of decentralized applications. Coins are just method of payment while tokens may present a company’s share, give access to product or service and perform many other functions. Coins are currencies that can be used for buying and selling things. You can buy a token with a coin, but not vice versa. Coin operates independently, while token has a specific use in the project’s ecosystem.
isaevArb

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 01:53:03 PM

There is also difference in Altcoin and Token. Ok, lets figure out.
Bitcoin is the first cryptocurrency(if it is correct to name it so) and it was made from total zero. It is coin. There are many altcoins - they are based on Bitcoin ideology and it's economic direction(I don't know how to say more understandable). Those of them who wrote their code from 0 are coins, others that decided to change the original chain are named forks. Those currencies that were launched on special platforms like Ethereum, NEO or others are tokens Smiley
TCTDev

Activity: 574
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 01:54:35 PM

I think that for a trader this difference does not have a strong meaning. But those people who are looking for a good asset for long-term storage should pay attention to coins, not tokens.
kiemnhieutien

Activity: 490
Merit: 17

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 01:57:26 PM

I understand coin has its own blockchain and token is the once which built on blockchain of other coin. Example Ethereum is a coin and many token lanuched on its blockchain, most popular is ERC20 token.
lance04

Activity: 462
Merit: 112

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 04:50:30 AM

Token and Coins are almost the same but it depends on how the company will interpret it
because the token is used as a incentive or free from their loyal investors to provide additional income.
youngmobi

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 06:48:50 AM

The difference between cryptocurrency coin and token is

Coin is a cryptocurrency which operates independently to any other platform's  like

BITCOIN
BITCOIN cash and
ETHEREUM

Token:- in token it requires another platform lìke ethereum for it to exit and also before it can operates.
nwosuchristabe2
Copper Member

Activity: 686
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 10:16:46 AM

I know Crypto have two kind of: Bitcoin and Altcoin
Please tell me what is different between and Token and Coin  Grin

Coin are cryptocurrencies created with a blockchain and an ecosystem that runs independently, such as Bitcoin ethereum, ripple etc. A token on the other hand is a smart contract created on an existing blockchain. Most tokens are created in the ethereum blockchain. Tokens are easier to create, since all the codes are already in existence on the blockchain.
dewildance

Activity: 546
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 10:18:18 AM

It is very easy to explain, but there are a lot of tokens that can come to coin one after another. This can be swapped for.
Joemzz31

Activity: 308
Merit: 30

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 06:06:16 PM

I think token and coin have no differentiation because they are almost the same as you look in the two of them but it depends to the interpretation of the business man in this business.
margaret22

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 06:49:37 PM

Tokens are running on another platform, like on top of the Ethereum blockchain for example. Coins have their own blockchain.

MoeKaloolon

Activity: 115

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 09:13:59 PM

This is something that people always mistake for the other. I'm glad that it has been brought up as a topic for discussion. I would simply say that while Tokens are assets that depend on another blockchain, Coins have their own blockchains of their own and are dependent on nothing but themselves. Tokens have to exist as themselves first before becoming coins and this can only happen when they have a blockchain of their own.
hirundinecrypto

Activity: 26

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 10:16:02 AM

The main difference between altcoins and tokens is the structure; altcoin is a currency that uses its own blockchain platform, while tokens operate using other blockchains that can facilitate smart contracts.. the way the income is also different if you can buy altcoins at the crypto trading exchange or can mine it, while your token doesn't have to mine it, the developer only determines how much total supply, then the number of tokens remains.
melander81

Activity: 392

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 07:55:17 AM

Tokens are usually used for platforms as a utility token. It enables the network to function or make transactions. Examples are ETH and NEO. While a coin is a form of digital currency, best examples are Bitcoin, Litecoin and Monero.
rinkujaglan

Activity: 133

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2018, 08:04:45 AM

I think that token is the part of coin, coin have been got in our wallet and token have been found in bounty and airdrop compaign. The structure of token have been created some other blockchain coin.
UAE Seasider

Activity: 700
Merit: 110

Helios Protocol https://discord.gg/cpzAEMB

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 08:14:00 AM

The difference between a token and a coin is that a coin will be using its own blockchain and a token will be using somebody else's blockchain to transact. Ethereum has ERC-20 tokens, NEO has NEP-5 tokens many of these will migrate to their own chain when the project is more established. Look for mainnet launch in their roadmaps for a timeframe.

HELIOS PROTOCOL ★ ✅[DAG]✅[BLOCKCHAIN]✅[PoS]✅[Masternodes] ✈✈✈[weekly Airdrop][join our discord to qualify]✈✈✈
 ▬▬  Mainnet Launched  |  Parallel Blockchain  ▬▬ 
 ▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ Website  |  Github  |  Bitcointalk  |  Bounties  |Discord  |  telegram▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐
Bestumoon

Activity: 40

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 08:15:53 AM

Aww, good question. me also don't know about it but from this thread i learn it. Iam going to explain now. coin has his own blockchain but token has no own blockchain.Token uses Other coins blockchain platform like ethereum erc20
cryptobull3

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 08:30:19 AM

A coin has its own Blockchain, and doesn't need other crypto's Blockchain, but token uses other Coin's Blockchain, most of the tokens using Ethereum Blockchain, it is very popular among them, as far as I know Ethereum and neo are most useful platforms for Icos, the only thing is that if/when the coin fall, the token that uses its Blockchain would fall too, coz they are attached together in some way.

◊ ◊ ◊ 𝗘𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲𝘂𝗺 𝗖𝗹𝗮𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗰 𝗩𝗶𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻 ◊ ◊  ▬▬  ▬▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬   Free ETCV coins ◊ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ANN ◊ ◊   ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬  ▬▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ◊ ◊ Hard fork of Ethereum ◊ ◊  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  WhitePaper ▬▬  ▬▬  Github
                       ◊  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    Twitter ▬  ▬ Telegram ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ◊ ◊  All Ethereum holders will receive 3 ETCV  ◊ ◊ ◊
Angi

Activity: 560
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 08:32:59 AM

I don't have more knowledge about coin and token but I only know it is they more likely because it have value and it will entice investors to invest in each different digital money so for now I still get knowledge about it and tells it here if I have some of it. Just explore the knowledge about crypto.
odranoel

Activity: 602

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 08:45:11 AM

Well i'm just want to thank this question because i really don't know the difference beetwen this two, token and coin. For my owned understanding token is the accumulated stakes coming from the bounties or program you received as a reward or payment. And after it will be exchange and now become a coin for you to convert your currency. It is just my opinion.   

YouSeeMe  ♦   Bartcoin  ♦  Bartwallet
⚪ Infinite Possibilities ⚪
Pre-sale on Feb, 18
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: