Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:38:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin7.com 'hacked'. Database and wallets 'stolen'  (Read 22824 times)
JonHind (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 01:57:30 AM

Dear User,
Please read carefully the following critical announcement.

On Oct 5th 2011 Bitcoin7.com became the victim of a number of pre-planned hacker attacks. While our investigation is still going, evidence reveals that the attacks originated from Russia and Eastern Europe.

The attack itself took action not only against the bitcoin7.com server but also against other websites and servers which were part of the same network. Eventually the hackers managed to breach into the network which subsequently lead to a major breach into the bitcoin7.com website.

As a result of the hacking, unknown individuals managed to gain full access to the site's main bitcoin depository/wallet and 2 of the 3 backup wallets.

In addition the hackers gained access to our user database.

Even though our faith in the bitcoin project and community remains as strong as it ever was, it is our responsibility to admit that the scale of the damage is far beyond our financial and physical capabilities.

This is why we have decided to cease the operation of bitcoin7.com and instead of investing in new technology and personnel that could possibly help us overcome this unfortunate situation, we decided that we'd rather gather all possible finances through all possible means and initiate a crisis plan for reimbursing the lost balances of our users.

This is also an open invitation to all interested investors which have interest in taking over the site at the only cost of recovering the stolen bitcoins.

The crisis plan will take action over the next 90 days. On behalf of the management of bitcoin7.com we want to apologize for this extremely stressful situation.

More specific updates will follow within the next 24 hours with detailed instructions about how to withdraw your funds.
http://www.bitcoin7.com/

Genuine? Or have they pulled a MyBitcoin scam?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2011, 02:01:24 AM

Yet another one bites the dust.  Luckily I have leaned the hard way to a) keep minimal money at any exchange, b) keep 0 BTC at all exchanges, c) use very strong passwords, d) use unique passwords for all of my BTC related accounts.  I guess this is to be expected for the near term.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 02:05:34 AM

Dear User,

This is why we have decided to cease the operation of bitcoin7.com and instead of investing in new technology and personnel that could possibly help us overcome this unfortunate situation, we decided that we'd rather gather all possible finances through all possible means and initiate a crisis plan for reimbursing the lost balances of our users.
http://www.bitcoin7.com/

Genuine? Or have they pulled a MyBitcoin scam?

I think that statement of theirs right there makes it much more plausible that they are sincere.  Atleast that is what I want to believe until it could be shown otherwise.  It would be my first instinctive action in such a situation anyhows.
  The other option is that they are just smart enough to say that to take heat off while they 'manuveur'. Though again, without knowing anything about them or the site, they sound legit.

and damn that sucks!   Cry

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
JonHind (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 02:11:31 AM

I think that statement of theirs right there makes it much more plausible that they are sincere. 

But didn't MyBitcoin say the same when they claimed that they were hacked? Hence the 49%/51% payoff for those 'lucky' enough to be refunded part of their money?
stick_theman

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 02:12:17 AM

B7's volume is not very high.  This goes to show that they do not have a good financial backing if they can't even refund in full amount without seeking outside investors.
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2011, 02:13:14 AM

I think that statement of theirs right there makes it much more plausible that they are sincere. 

But didn't MyBitcoin say the same when they claimed that they were hacked? Hence the 49%/51% payoff for those 'lucky' enough to be refunded part of their money?

MyBitcoin took forever to come forward with anything.  They went offline for a while with not even an error message.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 02:18:13 AM

MyBitcoin took forever to come forward with anything.  They went offline for a while with not even an error message.

yeppers. And the payoff offering or any other sentiments of responsibility or accountabilty came much later if at all...

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2011, 02:19:29 AM

I found out who they are:

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: BITCOIN7.COM
Created on: 08-Jun-11
Expires on: 08-Jun-12
          Couldn't even make it a year!
Last Updated on: 08-Jun-11

Administrative Contact:
Private, Registration BITCOIN7.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Technical Contact:
Private, Registration BITCOIN7.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Domain servers in listed order:
NS77.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS78.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
JonHind (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 02:21:08 AM

I take it that you are being sarcastic? Smiley
stick_theman

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 02:23:08 AM

This is a proxy domain.  We don't really know who they are. 

I can envision so many bitcoin exchange jokes now.  Heh.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2011, 02:35:36 AM

Dear User,

Please read carefully the following critical announcement.

On Oct 5th 2011 Bitcoin7.com became the victim of a number of pre-planned hacker attacks. -- (This pre-planned phrase has be puzzled)

While our investigation is still going, evidence reveals that the attacks originated from Russia and Eastern Europe. (Where all the mad guys on the internet come from)

The attack itself took action not only against the bitcoin7.com server but also against other websites and servers which were part of the same network. Eventually the hackers managed to breach into the network which subsequently lead to a major breach into the bitcoin7.com website. (What network is this? No dedicated Server?)

As a result of the hacking, unknown individuals managed to gain full access to the site's main bitcoin depository/wallet and 2 of the 3 backup wallets. (I foresee a 33/66 return oppose to a 49/51)

In addition the hackers gained access to our user database. (Great News! More passwords to be DUMPED on the net.)

Even though our faith in the bitcoin project and community remains as strong as it ever was, it is our responsibility to admit that the scale of the damage is far beyond our financial and physical capabilities. (33% is still better than 0%)

This is why we have decided to cease the operation of bitcoin7.com and instead of investing in new technology and personnel that could possibly help us overcome this unfortunate situation, we decided that we'd rather gather all possible finances through all possible means and initiate a crisis plan for reimbursing the lost balances of our users. (I will start sucking dick if everyone gets back 100% of what is owed them.)

This is also an open invitation to all interested investors which have interest in taking over the site at the only cost of recovering the stolen bitcoins. (Every time I find a great investment, I'm always to late. Surely others are ahead of me knocking down the doors to get in on the ground floor of owning this outfit.)

The crisis plan will take action over the next 90 days. On behalf of the management of bitcoin7.com we want to apologize for this extremely stressful situation. (90 days is better than 30 days, but afterwards no promises of further contact.)

More specific updates will follow within the next 24 hours with detailed instructions about how to withdraw your funds. (Let's hope it's only a three step process without having to change user names, passwords, etc.)

genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 02:36:40 AM

Why were people using an exchange in Eastern Europe with no public contacts and a previous history of bad security? Same story with MtGox. Same story with MyBitcoin. I honestly cannot understand why.

And I should mention that orderbook volume is usually 1% of the total funds on a site. It probably is a significant amount of funds. It's sad this has to happen to people time and again.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2011, 02:38:16 AM

I take it that you are being sarcastic? Smiley

Yes. Except for the one year registration. Every time I see this for any company tells me that they don't have a business plan pass the one year mark. Ten more bucks (thereabout) gets you two years. One less red flag for me to see.

CYPER

Activity: 798
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 02:38:30 AM

They are a bulgarian game software firm with an office in Sofia. I believe they can be tracked pretty easily if someone wants to.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 02:56:03 AM

They are a bulgarian game software firm with an office in Sofia. I believe they can be tracked pretty easily if someone wants to.
Пaлиш BMW-тo и към тяx Cheesy.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2011, 03:11:12 AM

There is a lot of information about them in this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=17043.0 right here on our very own forum.  Seems like there was a lot of red flags from day one.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2011, 03:15:29 AM

There is a lot of information about them in this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=17043.0 right here on our very own forum.  Seems like there was a lot of red flags from day one.

I just read a post by Bruce Wagner, written back in July, where he states he didn't trust them.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2011, 03:41:39 AM

So, are they releasing their code? 

JonHind (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 03:43:23 AM

I just read a post by Bruce Wagner, written back in July, where he states he didn't trust them.

A convicted scammer and fraudster like our absent Bruce calling out another scam? Who'd have thought it?
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 05:17:27 AM

Scam.

And everyone who used it deserve to lost their coins.  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: