Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:58:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Friend Needs Help -- Can't Post  (Read 669 times)
tim-tams (OP)

Activity: 479
Merit: 252

You, Me, and BTC: *Your* Liberty & Bitcoin Podcast

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 09:56:08 PM

I have a friend who joined the forums awhile ago but has not been super active. He recently tried to post but the forum is telling him that he must wait like 360 seconds because he just posted. This happens despite the fact that he has not actually posted anything in weeks. Anyone know what might be wrong or how he might fix it? Maybe an admin needs to fix something? His username is Chaff.

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4613

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:59:59 PM

I have a friend who joined the forums awhile ago but has not been super active. He recently tried to post but the forum is telling him that he must wait like 360 seconds because he just posted. This happens despite the fact that he has not actually posted anything in weeks. Anyone know what might be wrong or how he might fix it? Maybe an admin needs to fix something? His username is BadEmt.

Loggin in counts as "posting".  After logging in, he should wait 6 minutes before trying to post anything.  That 6 minutes would be well spent reading the NEWBIE README if he hasn't yet.
Rawted

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 10:03:06 PM

Is he using a public proxy or TOR?
tim-tams (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 10:08:20 PM

I have a friend who joined the forums awhile ago but has not been super active. He recently tried to post but the forum is telling him that he must wait like 360 seconds because he just posted. This happens despite the fact that he has not actually posted anything in weeks. Anyone know what might be wrong or how he might fix it? Maybe an admin needs to fix something? His username is BadEmt.

Loggin in counts as "posting".  After logging in, he should wait 6 minutes before trying to post anything.  That 6 minutes would be well spent reading the NEWBIE README if he hasn't yet.

That's most likely the problem, I'll let him know and see if that fixes things.

I don't believe he's using Tor but I can check.

Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 10:46:19 PM

Apart from logging in, searching and signing up will also reset the timer...  Smiley
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3056

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 10:50:29 PM

Apart from logging in, searching and signing up will also reset the timer...  Smiley

This is important info that should be in the readme.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Sonny

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 11:02:55 PM

Apart from logging in, searching and signing up will also reset the timer...  Smiley

This is important info that should be in the readme.

It was in the readme when I was a newbie lol, but I have no idea why and when that piece of info has been deleted Smiley
fighter

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 11:06:47 PM

It's a rule, he needs to increase his activity by posting more and it's going to be gone after a while, I'm having the same issue right now.
Sonny

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 11:11:07 PM

It's a rule, he needs to increase his activity by posting more and it's going to be gone after a while, I'm having the same issue right now.

Your activity level can at most go up 14 for every 2 weeks (using linux time).

The way activity is calculated:
The activity number is determined in this way:
time = number of two-week periods in which you've posted since your registration
activity = min(time * 14, posts)

Activity is updated every 30 minutes.

So, if your sole purpose is to reduce the time limit, you only need to make 1 post every day. Wink
Nezinau

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 11:14:42 PM

Thank you. Very helpful post. Helped me a lot. I was stuggling with same problem too Smiley
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 11:26:27 PM

Yep - that's true. Smiley He must + active Tongue soon he will get 1 min limit. No worries.
roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 11:27:10 PM

Thank you. Very helpful post. Helped me a lot. I was stuggling with same problem too Smiley

This forum can help you a lot more just read and be nice to people Cheesy

Bitcointalk community is  powerful! Smiley
tim-tams (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 12:20:40 AM

Yep - that's true. Smiley He must + active Tongue soon he will get 1 min limit. No worries.

Indeed that was his problem. Thanks for the help everyone!

roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 12:28:22 AM

we love to help Smiley

if someone ask nicely Smiley
berliston

Activity: 52
Merit: 21

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:01:46 AM

Thanks for explaining, I thought I was going mad with the damn thing
making me wait 360 seconds, I am actually using a timer to post this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: