Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:03:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Radeon HD 58XX Series users get in here!  (Read 25474 times)
frankiebits (OP)

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 02:51:19 AM
Last edit: March 24, 2011, 03:03:47 AM by frankiebits

I saw on Ebay Asus 5830s which have no voltage lock for between $120 and $140 and I think that it may be able to squeeze out something different, these cards don't get very hot,  i keep it in the 60's at 50%fanspeed, stable @ 280 mhash clocked @ 1000mhz/300 , i feel if i could control the voltage i can squeeze much more out of this card

prices change all the time, especially that the these newer cards are out you should see a drop in 5 and 6 series cards...

im very for buying used video cards , i got my 4850 for $50 and i will make my money back making the 5830 $100, ill get some more money sell the 5830 for $100 or more, and keep doing it over and over until i get a $1,739,548,822.45 graphics card. its going to be hhhuuuggee
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BOARBEAR

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 03:28:30 AM

I saw on Ebay Asus 5830s which have no voltage lock for between $120 and $140 and I think that it may be able to squeeze out something different, these cards don't get very hot,  i keep it in the 60's at 50%fanspeed, stable @ 280 mhash clocked @ 1000mhz/300 , i feel if i could control the voltage i can squeeze much more out of this card

prices change all the time, especially that the these newer cards are out you should see a drop in 5 and 6 series cards...

im very for buying used video cards , i got my 4850 for $50 and i will make my money back making the 5830 $100, ill get some more money sell the 5830 for $100 or more, and keep doing it over and over until i get a $1,739,548,822.45 graphics card. its going to be hhhuuuggee
try use that tool i posted a few posts above, i dont think your 5830 will be stable at 1000mhz
if the program does not crash does not guarantee that your calculation is correct.
TurboRegal

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 04:15:37 AM

I'm glad to see you're getting decent results from your 5830, I just picked one up for $110 after rebate (seemed to make more sense than the $145 6850, $165 5850, or $200+ 5870, etc). I cancelled an order I had for a $145 after rebate 6850. I had to pick up a new power supply too (to get 2xPCIE, I got 4xPCIE on this guy to make sure I never have that type of problem again), but I never really trusted my old one anyway, kinda sketchy. I guess I'll sacrifice the gaming upgrade I would have got with the 6850 to get a better miner and a nice futureproof PSU.
(6850 was $30 cheaper than the 5830+PSU)

Should be a nice upgrade from my 8800GT that's pulling 24Mhash/sec at the moment! I'll post my results here when I'm all set up.
frankiebits (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 01:10:28 AM

try use that tool i posted a few posts above, i dont think your 5830 will be stable at 1000mhz
if the program does not crash does not guarantee that your calculation is correct.

That program is good for gaming testing not opencl. I am steady at 1000/300 as we speak. Have been for atleast 24 hours.

frankiebits (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 01:11:52 AM

I'm glad to see you're getting decent results from your 5830, I just picked one up for $110 after rebate (seemed to make more sense than the $145 6850, $165 5850, or $200+ 5870, etc). I cancelled an order I had for a $145 after rebate 6850. I had to pick up a new power supply too (to get 2xPCIE, I got 4xPCIE on this guy to make sure I never have that type of problem again), but I never really trusted my old one anyway, kinda sketchy. I guess I'll sacrifice the gaming upgrade I would have got with the 6850 to get a better miner and a nice futureproof PSU.
(6850 was $30 cheaper than the 5830+PSU)

Should be a nice upgrade from my 8800GT that's pulling 24Mhash/sec at the moment! I'll post my results here when I'm all set up.

You will get a ten fold increase in mining speed at least.
TurboRegal

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 04:26:11 PM

Got it all set up! 5830 is running at 975/300 at 70C, and it's pulling 260Mhash/sec. I was having some stability issues at higher clocks, so I just put it down a bit and left it. (It crashes almost instantly at 1000/300, 990/300 I had a few shutdowns after only a few minutes of use, etc.).

I also popped my old 8800gt in another slot and OC'd it, so it's adding another 30MHash/sec.

Going to add another 5770 a buddy has lying around tomorrow and get another 160-200MHash/sec too hopefully. Overall, much quicker now for not much of a $ investment.

slurch

Activity: 70

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2011, 06:15:41 AM

Hi there...new the the forums and just picked up a 5830 and a 600w PSU to go along with it -- they arrive Monday, and I'm excited to really get started. I am not as tech savvy as a lot of you guys so I'll be getting a friend to come and help me install these pieces (surprisingly, the power supply is what I'll need help with -- I'm awful with cords)...I did manage to already set up CPU and GPU miners on my own, though, so I'll probably be fine once I get the hardware out of the way. I'm using an nVidia 9300GE, which is CUDA in name only. Between the Athlon Dual Core 4850e (not OC) running at ~2.5GHz each and that terrible card, I've been pulling down about 3.5 mhash/s...which is pitiful. I make laughable amounts of BTC right now. I figure I can turn the CPU miner completely off once I get this card installed (no point in running it, really). Also thinking about slaving the gf's parent's computer, once I see what hardware it's running. Wink Maybe I'll see a whole bitcoin one of these days...

Anyway, looking forward to being an active part of your community. I'll come and let you all know how everything turns out once I get the card installed.

Donations accepted at: 1AXKzVc1tTmfC6VkWwBNSzKqThqhwsC5mY
For what, I have no idea...
frankiebits (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 03:14:43 PM
Last edit: April 10, 2011, 03:31:48 PM by frankiebits

Hi there...new the the forums and just picked up a 5830 and a 600w PSU to go along with it -- they arrive Monday, and I'm excited to really get started. I am not as tech savvy as a lot of you guys so I'll be getting a friend to come and help me install these pieces (surprisingly, the power supply is what I'll need help with -- I'm awful with cords)...I did manage to already set up CPU and GPU miners on my own, though, so I'll probably be fine once I get the hardware out of the way. I'm using an nVidia 9300GE, which is CUDA in name only. Between the Athlon Dual Core 4850e (not OC) running at ~2.5GHz each and that terrible card, I've been pulling down about 3.5 mhash/s...which is pitiful. I make laughable amounts of BTC right now. I figure I can turn the CPU miner completely off once I get this card installed (no point in running it, really). Also thinking about slaving the gf's parent's computer, once I see what hardware it's running. Wink Maybe I'll see a whole bitcoin one of these days...

Anyway, looking forward to being an active part of your community. I'll come and let you all know how everything turns out once I get the card installed.

Welcome to the community  Wink , you should be able to get around 275 mhash/s on that card. I recommend keeping a steady fan speed rather than one than speeds up as the temps rise. With mine I kept it at around 50% or 2000rpm. You'll want you temps stay around 70c. To temps low and gain some speed try lowering the memory clock to 300mhz. It worked with mine 5830 (but not my 5870). With that card at the current difficulty you will get around 4 bitcoin a day. I suggest either Deepbit ( http://deepbit.net )or Slushs Pool ( http://mining.bitcoin.cz )

If you can sell you card down the line for what you paid for it and put that money and some bitcoin you earned towards a better card (5870 or 5970) it will be worth it.

For me the key is getting the system stable, getting it running and leaving it alone for as long as I can while I do other work. Than when you go check on it you will surprised with the amount you earned. Much funner than sitting there watching them come in a few at a time.
Hope i helped, if I did please donate!  Grin

Edit: ALSO, Catalyst 10.7 and Stream SDK 2.1 worked best for me.
slurch

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2011, 01:17:37 AM
Last edit: April 11, 2011, 01:28:09 AM by slurch

Thanks. Smiley I've been in Slush's Pool since I started with my 4 Mhash/sec...he doesn't seem to mind me basically mooching and getting my bit nickel every 39 hours or so. :p Just worked out overclocking last night with a program called RivaTuner (I really am that big of a noob -- I accidentally put the memory clock speed on my nVidia 9300 up to 750...I was restarting in safe mode before I knew it...) and the new card will be here tomorrow, along with a buddy of mine to help me install it and the new PSU. I've been reading as much as I can on the forums...but the vast majority of you guys are way further along than I am with regards to the whole tech thing...especially hardware. It's never too late to learn, though.

4 BTC a day sounds like a fine return on my investment for my time. I'm probably going to hold on to them and see what happens. I got a great deal on this card, and the PSU will support just about any modern card out there (including the coveted 5970 if I get to that point), so I can definitely upgrade if this goes well. I'm even thinking about starting my own Bitcoin business...but that is another thread for another forum category.

I'll be back tomorrow night with news. Smiley

Edit: I think you did help, and I will definitely share the wealth. Smiley

allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2011, 02:17:59 AM

Thanks. Smiley I've been in Slush's Pool since I started with my 4 Mhash/sec...he doesn't seem to mind me basically mooching and getting my bit nickel every 39 hours or so. :p Just worked out overclocking last night with a program called RivaTuner (I really am that big of a noob -- I accidentally put the memory clock speed on my nVidia 9300 up to 750...I was restarting in safe mode before I knew it...) and the new card will be here tomorrow, along with a buddy of mine to help me install it and the new PSU. I've been reading as much as I can on the forums...but the vast majority of you guys are way further along than I am with regards to the whole tech thing...especially hardware. It's never too late to learn, though.

4 BTC a day sounds like a fine return on my investment for my time. I'm probably going to hold on to them and see what happens. I got a great deal on this card, and the PSU will support just about any modern card out there (including the coveted 5970 if I get to that point), so I can definitely upgrade if this goes well. I'm even thinking about starting my own Bitcoin business...but that is another thread for another forum category.

I'll be back tomorrow night with news. Smiley

Edit: I think you did help, and I will definitely share the wealth. Smiley

Welcome to the wonderful world of bitcoin mining slurch! Smiley Say what new card are you getting? I'm presuming it's an ATI card of some sorts. ...ooops..nevermind I found out ..I guess reading a bit further up the thread is a good idea Smiley eh?  heheh

phenom

Activity: 35

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 10:34:00 AM

Hey guys,

I got my 5870 today.

Using the GUI miner by Kiv.

OSWin7 x64
Cat 11.3
SDK v2.4
Mem 900 Mhz
Mh/s 330-6
Flags -v -w128

Readings from the catalyst control center : temp 74c, activity 98%, fan speed 70%.
Inu

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 12, 2011, 12:37:25 AM

Hi all.

I have a ATI Radeon 4800 Series (I think its a 4850 but everywhere I look on my machine it just says 4800 Series. I bought this computer from a friend so don't know for sure what it is.)

Just looking for a noobish step by step guide to get some mining going. I hear of people getting 4BTC a day that would be great but I have no idea even where to start.

Edit: Ok I found a thread with a link to an article on here to get me started. Will come back if I have any questions.
slurch

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2011, 05:02:12 AM
Last edit: April 12, 2011, 09:10:26 AM by slurch

The card is here. Out of the box, it's pulling down 190. I'm off to find some software to get the memory clock speed down to 300...the heat is killing me.  Tongue

Edit: Okay...figured it out. Can't seem to do much better than 950/400 on clocks without crashing. This IS my actual computer I'm doing this on and not a rig, so I guess it is what it is. Running a music program, the miner, MSI Afterburner and posting this and still getting 240...250 when idle. I had it up to 270, but it crashed constantly. I guess I'll keep messing with it until I get it stable enough to actually use while mining. Went with 10.7 and 2.1 per your advice. Smiley Temp is running right around 85...can't seem to do much better than that, either. It's an HP Pavilion with a BS mobo that has no business doing what it's doing. Tongue I'm happy.

Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 12, 2011, 06:01:00 PM

Temp is running right around 85...can't seem to do much better than that, either. It's an HP Pavilion with a BS mobo that has no business doing what it's doing. Tongue I'm happy.

yikes.  85 is too hot IMHO: short term it's OK, but mid- to long-term you're going to hurt the card if you run it 24/7.  you might want to do something about that.  try messing with the fans using aticonfig - or, failing that, run with an open case and an extra fan or two.

i've got a couple of 5850s set up in my frankenputer miner with an extra case fan and two small blowers from an old CPU cooler blowing directly into the GPU intake fans.  they're down to a pretty reliable 72.5-74 C.  still a bit hot for my taste.  i'm working on it - i'd like 65ish, tops.
slurch

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2011, 06:15:30 PM

Can't run it with an open case...the cats would have a field day. I had the fan at 60% and it was hovering between 80 and 84, depending on what I was doing. Just turned it up to 75%...we'll see what that does to the temps.

Edit: Temp down to 78 within minutes...that's what my old nVidia card ran at, so I'm not expecting much more.

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2011, 12:26:57 AM

Can't run it with an open case...the cats would have a field day. I had the fan at 60% and it was hovering between 80 and 84, depending on what I was doing. Just turned it up to 75%...we'll see what that does to the temps.

Edit: Temp down to 78 within minutes...that's what my old nVidia card ran at, so I'm not expecting much more.

Do you live in a hot climate? Also would it not be possible to increase the case's airflow without taking the side cover off? I'm thinking something like adding side panel fans or bigger/more/more powerful front intake fans? Do you even have front intake fans? Do you have a clutter of wires blocking airflow from the front intake fan(s) ?

urizane

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 02:36:28 AM

If he's got a case like my buddy's HP, then not really.  His case is one of those smaller reverse ATX cases (opens on the right rather than the left).  He was having minor troubles with heat in his case because the thing only had one fan in it other than the PSU fan and no room to add another.  What we did was add three 40x40x20mm fans to the side inlets.  It only worked just well enough, but it worked.  When he decided he wanted a video card, I told him that he can only have a blower style card cooler, no mid-mounted fan jobs.  It has been working well for him, thus far.
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2011, 02:55:42 AM

If he's got a case like my buddy's HP, then not really.  His case is one of those smaller reverse ATX cases (opens on the right rather than the left).  He was having minor troubles with heat in his case because the thing only had one fan in it other than the PSU fan and no room to add another.  What we did was add three 40x40x20mm fans to the side inlets.  It only worked just well enough, but it worked.  When he decided he wanted a video card, I told him that he can only have a blower style card cooler, no mid-mounted fan jobs.  It has been working well for him, thus far.

Hmm I see. That's why I always profess the virtues of building your own pc. Nothing beats a custom case design. For hot running video cards (or multiple video cards) you want quite a few fans - as big as possible to keep the noise down yet maximize CFM.

I'm wondering maybe he can setup some sort of ghetto rig...cut a hole in the side of the panel and attach a 140 mm fan there..or two.

Do you have a pic of this case?

slurch

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2011, 05:59:53 AM

I have a HP Pavilion a6700z; it was not a horrible machine at the time I bought it, and it was a great media PC. As it's still my primary home PC, I will definitely be looking into building a dedicated mining rig. For now, though, I'm stuck with this. Here's what I'm running (in the aforementioned case):

Athlon Dual Core 4850e Brisbane @ ~2.5GHz on an Asus Narra3 mobo (which means I have 1 PCI-e x16 slot)
600 PSU
4 GB RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
and the 5830...it's an XFX
Total fans: 4 -- 1 on the processor, 1 exhaust, the PSU and the video card
No front intake fans -- no room for them in the case (the hard drive happens to be occupying that spot)

It doesn't bug me to run the fan all the time on the GPU. If it's bad for the fan, that's another matter entirely, though. Here is what I'm pulling down right now:

Catalyst 10.7 and SDK 2.1
poclbm-gui miner w/flags -v -w128
250-260 Mh/s even while running flash games and videos
Re-clocked using MSI Afterburner to 950/400 (any lower than 400 seemed to crash the computer...though I could definitely stand to bring that temp down some more...)
Fan at 75%
Current temperature is 82C (it is warmer in here...I have an AC...perhaps I should use it)

I would also point out that my old card ran at 78C for 2 years or more without incident with no overclocking at all...I used to run BOINC on it. Also, didn't like that temp, so pulling it down below 80 with the fans as we speak. Smiley

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Edit: just knocked the memory clock down to 385...seems to be stable...will keep an eye on temps. My goal is below 80, for now, as I'm probably not savvy enough to carve holes in the tower. That would be an ideal situation, though.

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2011, 06:43:52 AM

I have a HP Pavilion a6700z; it was not a horrible machine at the time I bought it, and it was a great media PC. As it's still my primary home PC, I will definitely be looking into building a dedicated mining rig. For now, though, I'm stuck with this. Here's what I'm running (in the aforementioned case):

Athlon Dual Core 4850e Brisbane @ ~2.5GHz on an Asus Narra3 mobo (which means I have 1 PCI-e x16 slot)
600 PSU
4 GB RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
and the 5830...it's an XFX
Total fans: 4 -- 1 on the processor, 1 exhaust, the PSU and the video card
No front intake fans -- no room for them in the case (the hard drive happens to be occupying that spot)

It doesn't bug me to run the fan all the time on the GPU. If it's bad for the fan, that's another matter entirely, though. Here is what I'm pulling down right now:

Catalyst 10.7 and SDK 2.1
poclbm-gui miner w/flags -v -w128
250-260 Mh/s even while running flash games and videos
Re-clocked using MSI Afterburner to 950/400 (any lower than 400 seemed to crash the computer...though I could definitely stand to bring that temp down some more...)
Fan at 75%
Current temperature is 82C (it is warmer in here...I have an AC...perhaps I should use it)

I would also point out that my old card ran at 78C for 2 years or more without incident with no overclocking at all...I used to run BOINC on it. Also, didn't like that temp, so pulling it down below 80 with the fans as we speak. Smiley

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Edit: just knocked the memory clock down to 385...seems to be stable...will keep an eye on temps. My goal is below 80, for now, as I'm probably not savvy enough to carve holes in the tower. That would be an ideal situation, though.

I think there are two different designs of the XFX 5830, so I'm wondering which one do you have. Is it the one that vents its heat inside the case? If so the biggest problem you have is airflow..getting fresh air from the front or somewhere and ejecting it out the back or top.

I'm thinking maybe one of those PCI coolers would help.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: