Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:44:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Waste of time? (Stirring debate.)  (Read 2276 times)
CCCMikey (OP)

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 08:51:05 AM
Last edit: March 21, 2011, 09:12:53 AM by CCCMikey

Hi Smiley

I just posted to http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1663664 re. BitCoin since there was nothing there, and the first (and so far only) reply is:

It's not a paypal replacement. Seems more like some kind of virtual futures trading and a waste of time.

As an "internet currency" these have never worked and never will. Paypal, Paymate etc work because they trade in money not fictional widgets.

Anyone want to bite on that site? I'm busy at the moment...

Edit: I replied:

Hmm. Well, even traditional currency is largely just numbers in a computer these days, and banks can sort of pull them out of thin air. A Bitcoin is not physically fictional any more than a dollar in a bank account is – it can be proven to belong to its owner care of public key crypto.

Its only inherent value is the amount of electricity spent to create it, and then whatever traders feel they're worth amongst eachother – a bit like gold or other mined goods in that regard.

It may never grow to a significant scale, but for what it is already, it's interesting to watch.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Anonymous

March 21, 2011, 10:38:19 AM

Thanks for linking to the site cccmikey . I put the site up only the other day as a portal for posting Aussie bitcoin links.

I posted in the thread a few links about australia-bitcoin I've found . Hope that helps with the negative reaction it received.

Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 10:49:34 AM

The guy who's commenting is completely clueless. He thinks that dollars are tied to gold, and that all other currencies are tied to dollars. I can't be bothered to make an account to correct him.
Anonymous

March 21, 2011, 11:01:07 AM

The guy who's commenting is completely clueless. He thinks that dollars are tied to gold, and that all other currencies are tied to dollars. I can't be bothered to make an account to correct him.

Its a common reaction to bitcoin here.

Luckily not all aussies are as close minded.
CCCMikey (OP)

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 11:05:33 AM
Last edit: March 21, 2011, 12:52:13 PM by CCCMikey

Whirlpool is mostly a forum for discussing ISPs in Australia, and the "On The Internet" part is a bit of a mixed bag of entries. Since I find the comparisons to Paypal interesting and there's nothing else about BitCoin on it, I posted there. It's the best open forum I know in Australia.

I will admit I was trolling just a little however which I don't usually do...
Anonymous

March 21, 2011, 01:25:29 PM

Whirlpool is mostly a forum for discussing ISPs in Australia, and the "On The Internet" part is a bit of a mixed bag of entries. Since I find the comparisons to Paypal interesting and there's nothing else about BitCoin on it, I posted there. It's the best open forum I know in Australia.

I will admit I was trolling just a little however which I don't usually do...

The troll like behaviour wasnt yours imo.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2011, 02:00:43 PM

That highlights one of the biggest problems with trying to educate people on Bitcoin. They don't have a proper groundwork or any idea what a dollar really is.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Anonymous

March 22, 2011, 01:09:58 AM

That highlights one of the biggest problems with trying to educate people on Bitcoin. They don't have a proper groundwork or any idea what a dollar really is.

They actually love the current system . There is a depth of brainwashing so pronounced its like living amongst zombies.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 01:49:50 AM

They actually love the current system . There is a depth of brainwashing so pronounced its like living amongst zombies.

Hahahaha. You just reminded me of "Zombieland". Nice movie btw

Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2011, 01:09:55 PM

It's funny because a lot of the older generation (thinking of my grandfather here) understand what a dollar is worth and what it means. They've seen it go up and down and realize it's BS. They know how the fed works and what printing money does and all that. I talked with him about btc and he thought it's great. The only problem is he doesn't know how to turn a computer on. Then you have the facebook generation that has no idea what a dollar really is.  Angry Then of course you have us in between.

The old people are going to go away, everyone alive will be using computers and the economy has tanked bad enough that average consumer knows the secretary of treasury's name. That's why I'm optimistic.

moneyandtech.com
ryepdx

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 05:09:47 PM

It's funny because a lot of the older generation (thinking of my grandfather here) understand what a dollar is worth and what it means. They've seen it go up and down and realize it's BS. They know how the fed works and what printing money does and all that. I talked with him about btc and he thought it's great. The only problem is he doesn't know how to turn a computer on. Then you have the facebook generation that has no idea what a dollar really is.

It's a little frightening when you think about it. We have a lot of deprogramming and education to do here. I've been talking on the Whirlpool forums too, and it's astonishing how ignorant it seems many of the posters are. It's like walking into the Creation Museum and trying to explain evolution to people.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 05:14:19 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2011, 05:25:53 PM by kiba

One of the typical reactions to Bitcoin:

1. This is the dumbest idea I ever heard.

2. This is very powerful stuff and will change the world as we know it.

Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2011, 05:32:51 PM

One of the typical reactions to Bitcoin:

1. This is the dumbest idea I ever heard.

2. This is very powerful stuff and will change the world as we know it.

Kind of like when Ryepdx compared it to teaching evolution earlier.

moneyandtech.com
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 05:44:54 PM

(please ignore this post, i'm just adding the thread to my watchlist)

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2011, 05:54:05 PM

(please ignore this post, i'm just adding the thread to my watchlist)

On these boards that's the only way to do it right?

moneyandtech.com
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 09:18:16 PM

I think so

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Anonymous

March 23, 2011, 09:05:28 AM

"I love paying tax" was a choice quote from the thread....
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 01:35:47 PM

"I love paying tax" was a choice quote from the thread....

I don't love it but I see the reason.
I think our system sucks but I drive on the roads so I can see why I should contribute.

moneyandtech.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: