Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:46:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SolidCoin v2.0 Public Beta  (Read 6192 times)
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 04:33:42 PM

Maybe source code is not released to protect intellectual property ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4452
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 04:36:32 PM

Doesn't that require intellect Tongue

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
bulanula

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 04:42:02 PM

Doesn't that require intellect Tongue

LOL I think source will be released just wait some more  Wink Cheesy
wknight
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin calls me an Orphan

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2011, 04:50:46 PM

Lolcust.. your beating a dead horse here I must admit. SolidCoin 2 is Beta.. if people are wishing to test the network without viewing source its upon them.

I would say the final release should have the source code released IMHO. But again if people decide to use it even then.. its on them.

Just like people mining Tenebrix right now.. anyone doing so knows you hold 7.7 million in your hands. Its up to people choosing to mine Tenebrix given the fact. Yes the source is open however Tenebrix isnt in beta.

Just giving my opinion here.. and I am sure everyone here knows your invested interest in SC2 failing. Because if it is a success it will be cpu only and possibly not pre-mined. Yeah I can see it hurting TBX..

Mining Both Bitcoin and Litecoin.
bulanula

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 04:57:20 PM

Lolcust.. your beating a dead horse here I must admit. SolidCoin 2 is Beta.. if people are wishing to test the network without viewing source its upon them.

I would say the final release should have the source code released IMHO. But again if people decide to use it even then.. its on them.

Just like people mining Tenebrix right now.. anyone doing so knows you hold 7.7 million in your hands. Its up to people choosing to mine Tenebrix given the fact. Yes the source is open however Tenebrix isnt in beta.

Just giving my opinion here.. and I am sure everyone here knows your invested interest in SC2 failing. Because if it is a success it will be cpu only and possibly not pre-mined. Yeah I can see it hurting TBX..

Well said !
Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 05:04:07 PM

Just giving my opinion here.. and I am sure everyone here knows your invested interest in SC2 failing.

Well, I did admit a bias, but at this point my interest is purely academic - and not in source code itself, but in the reasons for its concealment

Because if it is a success it will be cpu only and possibly not pre-mined. Yeah I can see it hurting TBX..

To be fair, the only non-premined CPU coin is Fairbrix Cheesy

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
bulanula

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 05:06:59 PM

Just giving my opinion here.. and I am sure everyone here knows your invested interest in SC2 failing.

Well, I did admit a bias, but at this point my interest is purely academic - and not in source code itself, but in the reasons for its concealment

Because if it is a success it will be cpu only and possibly not pre-mined. Yeah I can see it hurting TBX..

To be fair, the only non-premined CPU coin is Fairbrix Cheesy

Well one thing is interesting to me. What algo is this using say compared to TBX !? Is this GPU proof ? No mention of algo used anywhere.
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 05:09:40 PM

Well one thing is interesting to me. What algo is this using say compared to TBX !? Is this GPU proof ? No mention of algo used anywhere.

The algo in SC2 is custom-designed by CoinHunter.

So far, no whitepapers have been published and no peer review of the algo has taken place.

No details have been released as to its structure and operation, to the best of my knowledge.

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
bulanula

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 05:12:57 PM

So far, no whitepapers have been published and no peer review of the algo has taken place.

No details have been released as to its structure and operation, to the best of my knowledge.

Well ATM custom designed sounds MUCH better than your tenecrapix copycat of scrypt that favours amd processor crap !!! SC2 is pretty good now. Can't wait for final thing.

If I mine some coins now do they get carried on when final thing is up ?
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4452
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 05:22:29 PM

Well ATM custom designed sounds MUCH better than your tenecrapix copycat of scrypt that favours amd processor crap !!! SC2 is pretty good now. Can't wait for final thing.

OK that's a bit unusual to say unless you really don't know what you are talking about
Your saying an undocumented, unknown algorithm "sounds MUCH better than" another that is documented, source available and anyone can see it.
Hmm - interesting - I wonder why someone would say anything that silly ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Nicksasa

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2011, 05:22:33 PM

So now it's scrypt's fault that phenom II's have more L2 cache ?  Roll Eyes

bulanula

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 05:37:15 PM

OK that's a bit unusual to say unless you really don't know what you are talking about
Your saying an undocumented, unknown algorithm "sounds MUCH better than" another that is documented, source available and anyone can see it.
Hmm - interesting - I wonder why someone would say anything that silly ...

Well it is easier to damn copy and paste than write your own thing from the ground up. Respect to CH !

ArtForz and lolcust are just AMD holding / biased copy and pasters. Good luck. TBX price already 0.0099 which is damn nice. Hoping it falls to 0.0000 as everyone realises your scam. Satoshi ( same people as ArtForz and lolcust etc. ) scam also coming to an end. Price tanking. These people must be long on AMD stock right now. No wonder both bitcoin and tenecrapix is made for amd silicon.

Why no Intel and Nvidia love from both bitcoin and tenecrapix !? Because they are made by same person who is probably AMD employee or holds loads of AMD stock etc.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 05:44:21 PM

No hashes of the binaries provided so one can make sure that we are actually downloading Coinhunters binaries instead of trojanware from someone else.
No source.
No whitepaper.
Identical feature set to other coins.

Hope the "beta" goes well.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 06:10:10 PM

SC2 is pretty good now. Can't wait for final thing.

As for the algo being used, I have seen parts of it and it's pretty sweet (as a matter of factly if you do some digging you can see where coinhunter did post parts of the new hashing algo on the forum here in another post already and that is accurate to what I saw when taking a look at helping to proof some of the source).  At the time of posting, and what I saw it is not based on scrypt, but it does do much to level the playing field between gpu and cpu, with cpu having a clear advantage... so far intel processors also seem to have ant advantage with the real life test metrics but they are close enough that I would say coinhunter did a good job with being platform neutral.

Yep, looks like SC2 is shaping up pretty nicely, well into the 700s for difficulty on the public beta already so that's pretty sweet.

You won't get to carry over coins however as it is operating on a testnet, when the final product goes live you won't be on testnet so you won't have any coins, but don't let that scare you away, attempt to hammer it and do weird things so that you can find and report bugs so that we have the best possible product we can.  Use the public pools, solo, setup your own private pool etc.

Good the hear, but I am not concerned about the algo.

I am genuinely interested as to what sane, legitimate reason could one have for not releasing the sources of beta version ?

If anything, that would have facilitated bughunting, which is the whole point of betas

Feed the Lolcust!
Beta-coiner1

Activity: 532

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 06:27:19 PM

Someone is selling Solidcoin 2 Public Beta coins for actual bitcoins ? :-/
Hope you're not being facetious.What I mean is the value of "Solidcoin" is actually higher right now than Tenebrix and considering the difficulty will be extremely low when it becomes final will certainly be more valuable to CPU miners !!!!

My current issue with Tenebrix as a miner is simply that the custom made miner for Windows does not allow you to enter options for further optimizations (esp. for Intel processors) as it seems pretty flawless with AMD processors.I don't know anything about compiling for Windows and have never used Linux thus when you say "but do build one for yourself, since home built is best built" to compile my own simply translates to me as being unsupportive of the product you have made in maintaining performance standards equally or at least try to !!!!

bulanula

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 06:30:11 PM

More BS from lolcust. Why not supporting Intel CPUs on Windows !? Or at least Intel CPUs on Linux. Why so AMD biased Huh
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 06:37:04 PM

More BS from lolcust. Why not supporting Intel CPUs on Windows !? Or at least Intel CPUs on Linux. Why so AMD biased Huh

I did give you instructions on how to compile TBX miner with maximum optimization for intel, any luck?

And, TBX's performance on intel really has nothing to do with purely academic inquiry into the reasons for withholding the sources.

Feed the Lolcust!
bulanula

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 06:43:52 PM

I did give you instructions on how to compile TBX miner with maximum optimization for intel, any luck?

And, TBX's performance on intel really has nothing to do with purely academic inquiry into the reasons for withholding the sources.

Yes, just did not have enough time to try it out BUT I bet my 2600K with 8 threads < crappy AMD Phenom II with 6 cores so I'm like OMG WTF BBQ switching to SC2 dont care about anything but the $$$ it makes me.
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 06:49:23 PM

Yes, just did not have enough time to try it out BUT I bet my 2600K with 8 threads < crappy AMD Phenom II with 6 cores so I'm like OMG WTF BBQ switching to SC2 dont care about anything but the $$$ it makes me.

So far, SC2 isn't even available for you to switch to - what you see here is beta, and coins won't "carry over" to release.

Anyways, let's get back to the subject of sources, or rather, their lack Sad

Feed the Lolcust!
Ten98

Activity: 1008
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 06:50:42 PM

I find it extremely disturbing how people jump in to mine without having the source or even knowing the generation algorithm. It's like an early adopter mental disorder or something.

Reading the source is a terribly inefficient way of checking for backdoors. Unless you *really* know what to look for, you could read source code 100 times and never realise that there was a backdoor in it.

You can learn a lot more far more quickly about how secure / full of trojans / likely to open up backdoors a program is by running it in a Virtual Machine and inspecting what it does while running.

But of course you know this. These accusations are simply FUD, anyone with half a brain can see that.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: