Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:39:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SELLERS: Let's Raise Our Prices to $2/BTC!  (Read 6855 times)
prcarter

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 07:47:18 PM

I was curious about the artificial scarcity that worked fine few weeks ago. But today I also think it wont work so easily again 'cause the major exchanger is involved in turmoil scandals. The volume dropped.

They are working that out. But I think they had better settle soon, otherwise it's going to take months, and the lawyers are going to have a feast.

The next wave of BTC buyers might take a few days, or a week to come and I see everybody is worried about where BTC price is going to go.

I guess it's better to avoid trading like crazy for a few days, and wait for more BTC demand.

Bitcoin will still be Bitcoin, as long as cryptography is still cryptography.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 08:08:50 PM

It's cute how you guys think your little gaming rigs are "capital" and that mooching off your parents' electric bill is productive work like "mining" or "farming".

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
prcarter

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 08:15:32 PM

It's cute how you guys think your little gaming rigs are "capital" and that mooching off your parents' electric bill is productive work like "mining" or "farming".

This is exactly what I was afraid of: The labelling of Bitcoin users. Given that bitcoiners are a tiny minority, there's going to be serious trouble if this kind of talk "hits the mainstream", so to speak.

There's been some bad press already.
prcarter

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 08:29:23 PM

A rack full of 20-40 GPU cores isn't 'cute'... [...]

Yep. Bitcoiners are "bad-ass"! Something like that.

Guns! Drugs! Sex...

Bitcoiners have guts!

But it really depends on who you are talking to.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2011, 12:14:55 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2011, 12:29:59 AM by casascius

A rack full of 20-40 GPU cores isn't 'cute'... Neither is manufacturing custom ASIC's... Yeah, it's like that.

Aside from the fact that the OP did not refer to mining rigs as "capital" but rather the funds used to purchase them... the OP is a brand new member with only one post.  Not sure it represents "us guys".  And who says we are kids?  I pay my own electric bill, thank you very much.

Further, I do think the effort spent in mining is productive work, but for an unexpected reason: it's an accidential creation of supercomputing infrastructure.  The currency aspect aside, Bitcoin miners have accidentally built what amounts to a democratic supercomputer for hire.  You know, China's world fastest computer, Tianhe-1A, which Wikipedia says is 2.5 petaflops?  The Bitcoin community is now well between 3 and 6 petaflops (depending on how you calculate it) and growing, and, in all likelihood, for rent at any rate that brings its participants more income than Bitcoin mining.  At today's rate, the starting cost to rent a percentage of those petaflops is the equivalent of 7200 BTC per day, or the same percentage of USD $5400/day.  Something which a decade ago was only available to institutions with billion dollar budgets, institutions that would definitely refer to their investment as assets.

Supercomputing decodes the human genome and finds cures for cancer.  How's that for non-productive work?

Before you know it, you'll have someone start a mining pool that not only generates bitcoins, but provides a secure platform for automatically distributing and running workloads for hire to pool participants when available, and will mine bitcoins in the remaining time.  I wonder how much computing time on Tianhe costs, and how hard it is to get.  Compare that to, "I've got 1 PFLOP/s in my pool, and we can start as soon as your BTC payment is received."

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
prcarter

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 01:09:21 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2011, 01:30:51 AM by prcarter

Supercomputing decodes the human genome and finds cures for cancer.  How's that for non-productive work?

Right now, we are just calculating random hashes, simply because it's difficult to do so, and money is supposed to be hard to make.

The last few weeks the Bitcoin network has been seeing a slight decline in size from the near 900Ghash/sec peak on March 6th. Some people think that was because of bot-nets joining, or some big supercomputer (it then fell to around 500Ghash/sec). If that was the case, then we may be experiencing the negative effects of a sudden injection of BTC (inflation) in this latest price decline that some took the liberty of labeling a "bubble" [but then, it should only be 5000-10000BTC; a few days of market volume].

Network size is making a U now and appears to be starting to go up again.

There should be more people interested in BTC soon.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: