Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:30:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Time to grow up.  (Read 4534 times)
maaku (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 09:13:07 PM

I misspoke. All altchains seen so far (except namecoin) should have no valuation, based on any rational economic analysis. Bitcoin has value because of existing and expected future economy of goods and services. Namecoin provides a distinct utility that is purchased by destroying namecoins. The altcoins? So far, no released altcoin has made a single tangible step towards defining future value. Rather, they've rushed to setup exchanges without clarifying the purposed and long-term vision of their coins. Speculators rush in to buy in the hope that the price will rise. But with no defined or expected long-term realization of actual value, that becomes the very definition of a Ponzi scheme; it's a scam.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 09:22:10 PM

I misspoke. All altchains seen so far (except namecoin) should have no valuation, based on any rational economic analysis. Bitcoin has value because of existing and expected future economy of goods and services. Namecoin provides a distinct utility that is purchased by destroying namecoins. The altcoins? So far, no released altcoin has made a single tangible step towards defining future value. Rather, they've rushed to setup exchanges without clarifying the purposed and long-term vision of their coins. Speculators rush in to buy in the hope that the price will rise. But with no defined or expected long-term realization of actual value, that becomes the very definition of a Ponzi scheme; it's a scam.

Why do you think the long-term value of LiteCoin is so different than Bitcoin (as in "approaches zero", not just a few orders of magnitude)?
Bot-friendliness is perhaps the only fault I find with LiteCoin, and thus far it's a theoretical one ... it might be realized, dropping the coin value, but it might turn out not to be a significant factor after all.

This is my take on LiteCoin in more detail.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 10:23:38 PM

Finally somebody that says it how it really is. Well done !
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 10:39:55 PM

All altchains seen so far (except namecoin) should have no valuation, based on any rational economic analysis.
I don't want to start a pointless flamewar, but could you plese answer my question:

What does "rational economic analysis" say about the existence of the city of Las Vegas,Nevada,USA?

1) The City of Lost Wages should be a small, dusty hamlet.
2) There's more than one definition of "rational".
3) Something else, please explain.

Thank you very much.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 10:47:19 PM

All altchains seen so far (except namecoin) should have no valuation, based on any rational economic analysis.
I don't want to start a pointless flamewar, but could you plese answer my question:

What does "rational economic analysis" say about the existence of the city of Las Vegas,Nevada,USA?

1) The City of Lost Wages should be a small, dusty hamlet.
2) There's more than one definition of "rational".
3) Something else, please explain.

Thank you very much.

People with excess income use it for entertainment? Las Vegas does not refute rational economics. Shit, look at bitcoin; everyone wants to get rich without working for it.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 11:24:37 PM

Well, its a evolution lets recap:

ixcoin - outright get quick rich scheme
i0coin - joke about the latter
solidcoin - revised get quick rich scheme with viral pr campain
then the big collapse of them people realized there has to be more to gain acceptance so another method was devised
original geistgeld - experiment which revealed the technical infeasibility of asymmetrical difficulty adjustment
relaunched geistgeld - patched version of the above, author decided to get a bunch for free -> fail
brixes - first point of actual innovation but the author still decided to get some, unfeasible economics
fairbrix - fail due to unfeasible economics

outlook:
solidcoin 2 - will fail due to the fact that people watched !five! failed attempts by the authors to get rich, they all been there and done that.
litecoin - the most promising candidate yet
bulanula

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 11:31:25 PM

Well, its a evolution lets recap:

ixcoin - outright get quick rich scheme
i0coin - joke about the latter
solidcoin - revised get quick rich scheme with viral pr campain
then the big collapse of them people realized there has to be more to gain acceptance so another method was devised
original geistgeld - experiment which revealed the technical infeasibility of asymmetrical difficulty adjustment
relaunched geistgeld - patched version of the above, author decided to get a bunch for free -> fail
brixes - first point of actual innovation but the author still decided to get some, unfeasible economics
fairbrix - fail due to unfeasible economics

outlook:
solidcoin 2 - will fail due to the fact that people watched !five! failed attempts by the authors to get rich, they all been there and done that.
litecoin - the most promising candidate yet

Why !? Care to explain please.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 11:38:12 PM

Well it it seems to be missing all the reasons I listed why the previous attempts of a alternate cryptocurrency have failed.

I wouldn't vouch for it's success but either it does or we can add an additional flaw to the list  Wink
maaku (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 11:50:11 PM

There is absolutely no technical difference between litecoin and the various brixes. It is yet another opportunistic scam.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 11:50:48 PM

I like the "unfeasible economics" part a lot.

In b4 "zomgflation" argument ?

Also, for the love of Lukashenko, GG never had asymmetrical adjust (I haz Github to be my witness), y people no get fact straight ?

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
bulanula

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 11:50:59 PM

There is absolutely no technical difference between litecoin and the various brixes. It is yet another opportunistic scam.

Well said friend. Let's expose these damn scams.  
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 11:53:20 PM

Also, for the love of Lukashenko, GG never had asymmetrical adjust (I haz Github to be my witness), y people no get fact straight ?

Well the question then is... did you cash out yet?
1.2.3.... chance over  Kiss

Well we can certainly say that people do not want a currency with an infinite supply. So it is just the next logical step of evolution.
We"ll need to wait out what happens with it I don't think it is time yet to be successful, the little spark of innovation probably isn't enough but anyone claiming to know a reason why it will fail... I challenge them to provide a theory.
bulanula

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 11:56:11 PM
Last edit: October 10, 2011, 12:06:35 AM by bulanula

Be careful. The party is watching ur internets comrade !
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 11:57:24 PM

So, I see you won't support your peculiar notion that economics are somehow infeasible ?

Well, sad.

This thread could use some pointless Aurstrian/Keynesian clash (pointless because neither applies to exotic non-autonomous non-state economies fueled by a quasi-monetary system based upon  infinitely divisible and re-nominable products eldritch mathematications)

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2011, 12:04:11 AM

So, I see you won't support your peculiar notion that economics are somehow infeasible ?

Well, sad.

This thread could use some pointless Aurstrian/Keynes clash (pointless because neither applies to exotic non-autonomous non-state economies fueled by a quasi-monetary system based upon  infinitely divisible and re-nominable products eldritch mathematications)

Right a debate would be pretty pointless.
But my point is: The current Zeitgeist works against you...
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 12:16:35 AM

Well, sad.

This thread could use some pointless Aurstrian/Keynes clash (pointless because neither applies to exotic non-autonomous non-state economies fueled by a quasi-monetary system based upon  infinitely divisible and re-nominable products eldritch mathematications)

Right a debate would be pretty pointless.
But my point is: The current Zeitgeist works against you...

Zeitgeist...that's bad

I mean, the movie was pretty terrible all around.

Feed the Lolcust!
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2011, 12:19:19 AM

At least something we are in agreement with  Cheesy
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 12:21:24 AM

However, deflationists pinged and poked me with so much effort and zeal that I will introduce deflationary influences in TBX (don't worry though, no subsidy cuts and no "demurrage" reaching into user's pocket)

Watch out for next TBX bounty

Feed the Lolcust!
bulanula

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 12:23:00 AM

However, deflationists pinged and poked me with so much effort and zeal that I will introduce deflationary influences in TBX (don't worry though, no subsidy cuts and no "demurrage" reaching into user's pocket)

Watch out for next TBX bounty

TBX is pretty much dead by now. Litecoin is the next popular scamchain mate. Go with the flow LOL
tombc

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2011, 12:26:45 AM

Designing and implementing a completely new protocol takes some time, especially if it needs some major breakthroughs.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: