Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:52:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S9 - Stops hashing after booting up - Pretty sure it's a fan issue.  (Read 176 times)
ssean (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 05:32:00 PM
Last edit: July 26, 2018, 04:05:46 AM by frodocooper

My S9 stops hashing a few minutes after booting up. I think I've narrowed it down to a fan issue. When working normally, both fan speeds are around 4000-6000 rpm.

This is what I'm currently experiencing:

- High temps on all 3 chips. 128/115/128

- Both fans are receiving power and spinning, so they're not completely dead.

- Before the miner stops hashing, the fan speeds are showing as follows:

Code:
Fan# 	Fan1 	Fan2 	Fan3 	Fan4 	Fan5 	Fan6 	Fan7 	Fan8
Speed (r/min) 0 0 4,440 0 840 840 0 0

- I swapped the two fan connectors on the board, and the numbers are reversed, which leads me to believe one fan is malfunctioning.

Code:
Fan# 	Fan1 	Fan2 	Fan3 	Fan4 	Fan5 	Fan6 	Fan7 	Fan8
Speed (r/min) 0 0 840 840 0 4,440 0

- Why are there 3 fan speeds showing? Could that mean it's a problem with the control board?

Please see attached screenshot.

https://imgur.com/a/gRyRwNH

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Ameador1

Activity: 124
Merit: 47

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 05:38:13 PM

Your image link is not working.

Check the wiring on the fan, compare it to the wiring of the other - are they the same? I wonder if one of them has the counter wire and the positive/negative wire reversed.

I assume you are sure you are connecting the fan properly and not across two different fan connectors... I was hoping to look at this in your pic.

[EDIT] Image is working now...

Any chance getting an up close pic of the fan connections on the miner?
ssean (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 05:46:15 PM

Ameador1,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, the fans are definitely connected correctly. The miner has been running fine for months, it randomly stopped working late last night. I only swapped the connectors today to troubleshoot.
Ameador1

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 05:57:29 PM

I would think if it were the controller, then it would not report the working fan properly when you swap them around.

Have you tried another fan in the mix? Replace one of the miner's fans and check your readings. If you have two good readings, then good, and you know which fan is the issue. If not, try putting the first fan back, then swap the other miner's fan and see what you get.

I'm inclined to blame a fan with a failure - maybe shorting with the counter wire somehow?
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 3021

BTC price road to $80k

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2018, 06:12:18 PM

It looks like the fan detector is damaged.
Did you try to reset them first to factory default?

Try this guide to manually setup the fan speed of your miner https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2690140.0
Then setting them up to higher speed then monitor the fan speed and temp status again.

If you have extra or defective miner then try to use it to replace one of the fan of your miner then check the fan speed again until you found which fan is damaged.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Ameador1

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 06:19:58 PM

It looks like the fan detector is damaged.
Did you try to reset them first to factory default?

Try this guide to manually setup the fan speed of your miner https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2690140.0
Then setting them up to higher speed then monitor the fan speed and temp status again.

If you have extra or defective miner then try to use it to replace one of the fan of your miner then check the fan speed again until you found which fan is damaged.

In the OP, the readings on the good fan are read properly on both fan connectors when the fans were swapped. I would think this is a bad fan indication (at least the counter/ticker part of it), not fan detector on the controller. Right?
ssean (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 06:35:56 PM
Last edit: July 26, 2018, 04:07:16 AM by frodocooper

In the OP, the readings on the good fan are read properly on both fan connectors when the fans were swapped. I would think this is a bad fan indication (at least the counter/ticker part of it), not fan detector on the controller. Right?

Yes, that's what I'm thinking as well. I just ordered a new fan. I will post an update once it been replaced, in case anyone else runs into a similar issue.
Ameador1

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 06:46:48 PM

Did you go through Bitmain? Keep in mind that their warranty stickers are on the screws holding the fans in place - swapping it without their go-ahead could cause you warranty issues later. Just a consideration. Hope that's the solution for you.

Have you tried setting the fan manually - in the Miner Configuration Tab? You may get a false speed reading, but maybe you can force it to run at 80% to 100% (depending on your ambient temps) to get the temperature in line to run it until you can swap the fan.

BitMaxz posted a link to how to do it earlier.
ssean (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 07:07:42 PM

Did you go through Bitmain? Keep in mind that their warranty stickers are on the screws holding the fans in place - swapping it without their go-ahead could cause you warranty issues later. Just a consideration. Hope that's the solution for you.

Have you tried setting the fan manually - in the Miner Configuration Tab? You may get a false speed reading, but maybe you can force it to run at 80% to 100% (depending on your ambient temps) to get the temperature in line to run it until you can swap the fan.

BitMaxz posted a link to how to do it earlier.

I bought these back in January, so I believe they are no longer under warranty. (I think the warranty period is 180 days)
tim-bc

Activity: 538
Merit: 175

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 08:13:07 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2018, 01:33:00 AM by frodocooper

This is not true, the warranty stickers cover the screws holding the hashboards in place. You can remove/replace both fans without touching the warranty stickers. You can see it pretty clearly here - https://i.stack.imgur.com/KCpVr.jpg

I bought these back in January, so I believe they are no longer under warranty. (I think the warranty period is 180 days)

The warranty period is 180 days from the shipping date. If you bought them in January, there is a chance that they shipped out on Jan 26 or later. You can check your warranty status with your miner's serial number at https://service.bitmain.com/support/warranty

Ignore scammers on Skype, Telegram, etc. I will only ever contact you via forum PMs. See profile for fingerprint.
Ameador1

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 08:30:35 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2018, 01:33:43 AM by frodocooper

This is not true, the warranty stickers cover the screws holding the hashboards in place. You can remove/replace both fans without touching the warranty stickers. You can see it pretty clearly here - https://i.stack.imgur.com/KCpVr.jpg

My oppologies - that is correct tim-bc, it's the screws on the plate behind the fan, not the fan screws. I was thinking incorrectly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: