Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:51:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WHy do people only buy ATIcards when NVIDA is somuch better?  (Read 11237 times)
astana (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 02:36:35 AM

I don't get this, is it price? I thought people would be investing in NVIDIA 580GTX's rather than ATI.

What gives?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 02:43:02 AM

I don't get this, is it price? I thought people would be investing in NVIDIA 580GTX's rather than ATI.

What gives?

ATI is better for price/performance. Especially the lower end cards.

ATI = Bitcoin mining & gaming.
Nvidia = F@H & Gaming.

In all favor from me, if I had the money, it be hands down to nvidia for me buying a gfx card strictly for gaming & maybe some F@H when not gaming.
astana (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 02:46:39 AM

But wouldn't buying 2 3GB 580 GTX's pay off sooner than a ATI?
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 02:48:38 AM

Nope. Nvidia sucks balls for mining son. Around 4 times slower than ATI shit.
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 02:55:30 AM

Just compare the values yourself: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Being better depends on what you are doing. If we were using bcrypt instead of SHA the CPU would be better than any GPU.
NetTecture

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 04:19:08 AM

What gives?

The3 fact that the NVidia is NOT "so much better" but "totally crap" for mining oprations. SO much worse that buying an Nvidia for mining is stupid. Check the numbers.
hongus

Activity: 736
Merit: 100

Adoption Blockchain e-Commerce to World

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 05:46:45 AM

ATI also has eyefinity. Some cards can hook up to like 5 monitors

Tmoney

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 06:08:50 AM

ATI also has eyefinity. Some cards can hook up to like 5 monitors

SIX SON!!!!!!
Tim the Magician

Activity: 96

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 07:20:57 AM

One of my 5970s has 6x Eyefinity

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150500

GTX 580s are going for around $500 and get about 140 Mhash.. The last 10 min average on a 5970 which I bought new for $400 was 815 Mhash..

I always was an Nvidia fan though.  Until I started mining I never even owned a ATI card..
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 08:25:20 AM

WHy do people only buy ATIcards when NVIDA is somuch better?
Because nvidia is not "somuch better" but is CRAP for mining.

No. Nvidia will never pay off. They mining is so FAIL that you spend more in electricity than you gain from mining.

Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 08:26:06 AM

And btw, i had an ATI even before discovering bitcoin, so uh, nvidia is not better even outside of bitcoin

TyGrr

Activity: 84

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 08:37:42 AM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison
bulanula

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 08:42:53 AM

And btw, i had an ATI even before discovering bitcoin, so uh, nvidia is not better even outside of bitcoin

It blatantly is. Nvidia is best for driver support ( ATI has shittiest drivers ever - 100% CPU bug STILL present now ), gaming performance and general stability and usage as normal GPU. Only get ATI if you want to compute. Avoid otherwise.
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 10:09:17 AM

It blatantly is. Nvidia is best for driver support ( ATI has shittiest drivers ever - 100% CPU bug STILL present now ), gaming performance and general stability and usage as normal GPU. Only get ATI if you want to compute. Avoid otherwise.
Fanboy detected. Worst driver are nvidia: remember the one with the fan bug that made the card MELT?

I have no 100% cpu bug and perfect gaming performance and stability.

Maybe i am a god?

bulanula

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 10:39:21 AM

Fanboy detected. Worst driver are nvidia: remember the one with the fan bug that made the card MELT?

Maybe i am a god?

You're probably right about the fanboy thing. He doesn't even know about Catalyst apparently, much less using different versions and the effect it has.

CPU bug still present in all versions up to latest 11.9. Dumb lazy AMD developers did not bother to fix it. Don't even try and say that ATI drivers > Nvidia drivers ! ATI cards always lose on benchmarks because of shit drivers while Nvidia always has got optimized drivers etc. so better performance.
astana (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 11:18:21 AM

Well mining & cheaper prices is about the only good thing ATI/AMD is good for....I may be a noob to the bitcoin world but I'm not to the PC world, Nvidia kills ATI in performance/overclocking ability and yes it does come at a price but it's worth it.

Everyone want's the little guy to succeed including me, but the hard truth is Intel could buy AMD 10 times over if it was allowed to by the government, that's how far behind technology wise AMD is now... They are a mess, their new Bulldozer chips bench 100mhz faster than 2 year old sandy bridge chips  Roll Eyes

And you can get 580GTX's new for $350/$400 if you look hard enough/right contacts... Well I can at least Wink  So If you want one, I'll find you one for a commission Cheesy
Convery

Activity: 966
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 12:17:23 PM
Last edit: October 10, 2011, 12:35:17 PM by Convery

CPU bug still present in all versions up to latest 11.9. Dumb lazy AMD developers did not bother to fix it. Don't even try and say that ATI drivers > Nvidia drivers ! ATI cards always lose on benchmarks because of shit drivers while Nvidia always has got optimized drivers etc. so better performance.

A new driver every 10 days that may burn your card (three driver versions did that) or performs sub-optimally in some games vs a new tested driver every month + some 'hotfixes' to get optimizations for some games before it's added to the final release.

Seriously, I bet you are one of those that say that a Nvidia GTX 460 is faster than a Radeon HD 6990 because 'hurr, the AMD card doesn't have any drivers'..

But ye, as you said;
Bug in AMD drivers = The AMD devs are too stupid or too lazy so they can't get it fixed.
Bug in NVIDIA drivers = The devs are working around the clock to find the best fix for it. They patched it within 10 sec of finding it ofcourse but they are just looking for the optimal way of doing it. Because they are the best.

*Fanboy detected*

Everyone want's the little guy to succeed including me, but the hard truth is Intel could buy AMD 10 times over if it was allowed to by the government, that's how far behind technology wise AMD is now... They are a mess, their new Bulldozer chips bench 100mhz faster than 2 year old sandy bridge chips  Roll Eyes

Bulldozer will find it's way in between the i5 2500 and i7 2600 and thus be placed in the upper tier of gaming oriented CPUs so just where AMD aims their products (No you don't need a i7 hexacore to play games). While it's indeed a bit late they made a processor on a new architecture that will lead the way for upcoming generations, not to mention that a new architecture takes time to develop and delays are unavoidable. Also, the FX series overclock like crazy with a pretty low price.

Not sure how that found it's way in in a NVIDIA vs. AMD thread but ye, Intel will probably always be better though they wont beat AMD at price/performance :3

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 12:47:14 PM

And you can get 580GTX's new for $350/$400 if you look hard enough/right contacts... Well I can at least Wink  So If you want one, I'll find you one for a commission Cheesy

Why would anyone want one even at that price?  You can get a 5970 for $400 and get 800MH/s.  for 580GTX to be comparable it would need t o be <$100.  Let me know when you can get a 580GTX for $100.  Even then it woulnd't be worth it given 580GTX burns electricity like it is going out of style.
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 01:06:30 PM

Maybe i am a god?

You're probably right about the fanboy thing. He doesn't even know about Catalyst apparently, much less using different versions and the effect it has.

Lololol, fanboy detected.

Why i have no cpu bug?

Why my ATI doesn't lose on benchmarks and in gaming?

Why i have optimized drivers for Battlefield3 and Rage?

Oh and ati driver better than nvidia, it's a fact. Unless you are saying driver that make the card MELT are better  Undecided

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 01:39:20 PM

Gabi you aren't helping.

If you have 2+ GPU the 100% CPU bug is still present in 11.9 and 11.10 drivers.
If you have 1 AMD GPU then there is no 100% CPU bug in 11.9 (bug only existed for single GPU from 11.6 to 11.Cool.
This has been confirmed by AMD Developers on the AMD OpenCL forum.

ALSO DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.  The "Amd fanboy vs Nvidia fanboy" war has waged for almost two decades without any sign of capitulation by either side.  It has been waged across countless forums and usenets.  Hell the first salvo was likely fired on a long since forgotten bulletin board using a 2400 baud modem. 

Nothing you could possible say will end this war here so why drag Bitcointalk into the mud?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: