Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 12:10:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you stop calling Bitcoin an investment?  (Read 2629 times)
Naida_BR

Activity: 980
Merit: 62

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 08:13:16 AM

Can you stop calling Bitcoin an investment?

This damages the cryptocurrency. Bitcoin was not created to become an investment. Before Bitcoin, there were some digital currencies years back, the goal was always to be able to create a (digital) currency free from central banks and governments.
Cypherpunks and other anarcho-capitalists are at the origin of this idea, perhaps 20 or 30 years ago. None were intended to make an investment to be rich quickly.
You won't find in the white paper "investing" mentioned, you won't find any post from Satoshi mentioning it

Considering Bitcoin as an investment, this is the reason why we have more and more regulations, G20 summits and others craps, KYC, etc...
The word "Crypto-assets" didn't exist before, why did they create it? Because you even consider it an investment, then why shouldn't they?
Bitcoin could be a lot more accepted and used by now. Why should a merchant agree to be paid in Bitcoin? He wants money, not a piece of your investment.

You're not even investing, you are just gambling with money.
Go to the altcoins board, you will surely find plenty of ICOs where you can say you invested in. I have something for you, ICOs used to raise money are no different than "Crowdfunding". If you want to invest then there are a lot of Crowdfunding websites where you can invest in real startups with fewer risks, (you won't find any project using photos from Pixabay...)

Why don't we see cryptographers anymore? Guess the reasons

Why not calling an investment? Some people use it in order to store value so it can be an investment by their side.

Have a look at this example: If I live in the USA and I buy CHF currency in order to gain some money from the security interest isn't that an investment?
This will not change the value. For Swiss people, this is not an investment but for me that i live in another country it is.
4rzun4

Activity: 620
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 08:13:34 AM

Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency, where there is a price movement and there are exchanges in various crypto currency markets, bitcoin prices can go up and can also go down anytime. Means in my opinion it is clear that bitcoin is an investment in cryptocurrency and that is the reality in my opinion.
Sexie

Activity: 420
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 08:37:28 AM

This damages the cryptocurrency. Bitcoin was not created to become an investment. Before Bitcoin, there were some digital currencies years back, the goal was always to be able to create a (digital) currency free from central banks and governments.
Cypherpunks and other anarcho-capitalists are at the origin of this idea, perhaps 20 or 30 years ago. None were intended to make an investment to be rich quickly.
You won't find in the white paper "investing" mentioned, you won't find any post from Satoshi mentioning it

Considering Bitcoin as an investment, this is the reason why we have more and more regulations, G20 summits and others craps, KYC, etc...
The word "Crypto-assets" didn't exist before, why did they create it? Because you even consider it an investment, then why shouldn't they?
Bitcoin could be a lot more accepted and used by now. Why should a merchant agree to be paid in Bitcoin? He wants money, not a piece of your investment.

Go to the altcoins board, you will surely find plenty of ICOs where you can say you invested in. I have something for you, ICOs used to raise money are no different than "Crowdfunding". If you want to invest then there are a lot of Crowdfunding websites where you can invest in real startups with fewer risks, (you won't find any project using photos from Pixabay...)

Bitcoin supposedly to be a method of payments , a store of value. But because of Its volatility , everybody could not escape to the fact that Bitcoin  now is considered as investment. An asset too with an increasing value by years.

center]EMPIREHOTELS  (EMPC) The Future of Hospitality
--------  WhitepaperTwitter Telegram ?   Instagram ?  [DO NOT POST SESC LINKS]Bitcointalk Thread [/url]    -------  Join our ICO :  feb. 10.2019- March.31.2019 [/center]
stasiulman

Activity: 378
Merit: 114

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 08:59:09 AM

Bitcoin naming an asset, currency, goods or collectible.
But I think that Bitcoin is not an asset, as it does not generate cash flows for its holders.

This is not a commodity, because it is not a raw material for the production of anything useul.f The only exception, I think, may be if it becomes an essential component of smart contracts. In this case, it is likely that bitcoin will be able to take on the role of the commodity closely to Ethereum, which is valued not so much as currency, but as a kind of "fuel".

The choice is only whether the bitcoin is a currency or a collector's item.
android17

Activity: 259
Merit: 76

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 11:24:25 AM

Yeah, I agree with you. Bitcoin should be used as a method of payment instead of an investment, since its original reason why Bitcoin was created is to facilitate commerce and to become an international medium of exchange. Many people blindly put their money in Bitcoin in order to make a profit without caring its main mission, causing its unsustainable surge last year. If you want Bitcoin  to sustainably grow, the only way is to use it as a method of payment.
When you put your money and want to grow it thats already an investment. Theres nothing wrong with that. And ive heard someone said it is gambling, well a little bit but bigpercent is to invest. I am here to double or triple my money by puting or investing my money to buy bitcoins and sell it when the price is high

▬[  dClinic.io  ]▬  
▌ A Comprehensive Healthcare Ecosystem Powered by Blockchain  ▌
▬▬  PRE SALE ENDS 15th OCTOBER▬▬ | Twitter  | Telegram  | ANN  | Medium  | LinkedIn  | Facebook| ▬▬
inv_ker

Activity: 144
Merit: 30

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 11:29:54 AM

Definitely not. Bitcoin can always be considered as investment no matter how you see it. This is how bitcoin is being much more appreciated by people.
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 05:09:42 PM

Take the US Dollar as an example. This currency wasn't created to become an investment, but what is the fact? The fact is , Dollar as well as some other strong currencies is hoarded for sure. Why? Because such currencies promise to be profitable.
noone is hoarding USD as investment, people or businesses hold USD to hedge their assets/capitals
particularly those who are heavily doing export/import or any business in USD terms
holding enough USD would protect their buying power for the next few months and reduce currency exchange rate risk

CheatingCoins

Activity: 122

Do what needs to be done.

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 05:13:40 PM

What it is? You give bananas for it? You get it free? I don't think so. It's high risk investment. Smiley

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
Msile

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 05:26:45 PM

Well Bitcoin is a decentralized currency and people are free to use it as they want. You cant stop them from doing it. Also you wont see the adoption of Bitcoin without it giving something in return to the people. Bitcoin works very well as a store of value.
joseph22

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 05:28:45 PM

Regardless, people viewing it as an investment still caters to the original goals of crypto
Congyang

Activity: 882
Merit: 110

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 05:35:46 PM

The limited supply and the distribution process leads to the analogy of gold. It's not hard to also see the similarity of something that was once a universally used as currency also being considered an asset and therefore an investment. While I don't disagree with what you say I think it is inevitable and unavoidable that many people will view Bitcoin as digital gold and an investment.
Bitcoin's limited supply that causes many people to stop to call bitcoins as an investment, this happens because someone is increasingly motivated to go to bitcoin and invests in large amounts to get profit.
dedi joni

Activity: 386

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 05:40:10 PM

the reality now is indeed like that, a lot of people come in and buy bitcoin as their investment assets like property and gold, not as  digital currency. It's actually very harming because bitcoin comes with the concept of currency rather than as investment assets but want more, how many people are infatuated with the price of the bitcoin.
account78

Activity: 159
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 03:40:43 PM

That's impossible.
Currently I am considering bitcoin as my main source of income and investment. And I still believe that investors are still quite confident in this cryptocurrency market.
Moreover, blockchain technology is the future technology.
BitBustah

Activity: 1218
Merit: 534

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 03:51:58 PM

The thing is a lot of bitcoin supporters are simply holders and they are not actively spending their btc.  It doesn't make sense to spend a currency when its likely to rise exponentially in the future.  Once bitcoin price stabilizes much more people will be willing to spend it on everyday transactions.
CryptoSmile

Activity: 770
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 03:58:01 PM

I think there is nothing to argue about, when someone says bitcoin is an investment. Because when someone buys bitcoin, of course they hope to get the benefits of bitcoin, both through the short and long term they will travel. So it turns out that bitcoin is a cryptocurrency investment that is currently favored by many people and has a lot of trust and the price of bitcoin is still the highest among other crypto.
lelylely

Activity: 588

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 04:02:19 PM

You're right, but the fact is that people prefer to make bitcoin as an asset and also as a place to save money as an alternative bank. In my opinion, with many people choosing to hold, bitcoin is more likely to be used as an investment.

Sumo

Activity: 1098
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 10:37:04 PM

Unfortunately, bitcoin is only an investment for me at this point in time. I have no desire to spend it, because it is not profitable now, as long as the price is unstable.
Raidal

Activity: 560
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2018, 10:46:17 PM

In my opinion, it is very difficult to stop saying bitcoin as an investment because bitcoin is really an investment. Bitcoin is better known as an investment than a payment instrument. Many people use bitcoin as an investment rather than as a currency. Indeed bitcoin has not been maximized in carrying out its function as a currency that can be used as a payment instrument. I think that bitcoin still doesn't function as a means of payment because the price tends to be unstable and very volatile. If bitcoin is still used as a payment instrument, it can be detrimental to one party because of this unstable price.

|██████| | ██████SECURE AND LICENSED CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE██████ |██████| |
| INVECH |
WHITEPAPER | ANN THREAD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TELEGRAM | MEDIUM | INVECH |
|██████| | ███████JOIN INVECH INITIAL EXCHANGE OFFERING NOW!████████ |██████| |
fattyforhire

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 10:48:05 PM

Now bitcoin is basically an investment tool, so there is very little opportunity to use it as a cryptocurrency. Its currency development needs more time.
Zigzagkuy

Activity: 384

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 10:48:50 PM

Of course, I can. Bitcoin can be called like an investment because its value will increase over time. But some people say that bitcoin is a digital currency. Although different opinions, but both of them are right in my opinion. So there is no need to justify that.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  

Jump to: