Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:39:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How Bitcoin Price Effects Alt Coins Price  (Read 209 times)
Seabass22 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 10:47:59 PM

Hi All

I am a newbie and have a couple of questions, I am hoping you can provide advice on. I have bought XLM/BTC and XRP/BTC which has dropped over the last couple of days. I have heard the SEC may approve the EFT on the 16 August 2018 which will boost the BTC price. With the BTC Dominance at 47.3% should I sell and accept a loss or not sell and wait till I make my money back? Also in your opinions will the Alt coins vs BTC plummet if the BTC shoots up to $15-20K? If this is the case I take it you stay with BTC and then buy the ALT coins when the XLM/BTC is very low?

Many Thanks

Seabass22 
vy99

Activity: 126
Merit: 25

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 10:54:20 PM

I know for a lot of people on here the only coin is Bitcoin but I do think there's room in the market for other coins (except XRP which goes against everything crypto stands for). However for now it appears that Bitcoin is king. I do think that if Bitcoin goes up after the decision that other altcoins will go up with it, but just not as much.

I'm not cool enough to have a fancy signature so you're stuck reading this
teamspike911

Activity: 131

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 10:54:23 PM

Bitcoin is the face of the crypto-currency market. So everyone is watching what happens to it. So it turns out that a lot depends on him
gueorguiev

Activity: 171
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 11:14:19 PM

The Bitcoin ETF was declined again so dont make any decision based on that, and Altcoin prices are closely connected to bitcoin price because of all the trading done between them so if BTC price shoots up to $15k then you'd see a similar response in other coins, albeit not as much.
DiamondsAndCoins

Activity: 200
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 11:17:04 PM

I also want to warn you to be careful if you attempt to trade this.  You may end up with a lot less coins than you started with unless you have experience and a solid plan.  There are tons of posts where people tried to get cute and lost a ton of their nut. 

akosipepot

Activity: 377
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 11:18:09 PM

Bitcoin is the crypto market dominator and so it sets the price of all altcoins. Since you recently bought in BTC and ETH, I'd recommend to hold as these are the 2 coins you'd want for long-term investment.
pinot95

Activity: 70
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 11:32:21 PM

Hi All

I am a newbie and have a couple of questions, I am hoping you can provide advice on. I have bought XLM/BTC and XRP/BTC which has dropped over the last couple of days. I have heard the SEC may approve the EFT on the 16 August 2018 which will boost the BTC price. With the BTC Dominance at 47.3% should I sell and accept a loss or not sell and wait till I make my money back? Also in your opinions will the Alt coins vs BTC plummet if the BTC shoots up to $15-20K? If this is the case I take it you stay with BTC and then buy the ALT coins when the XLM/BTC is very low?

Many Thanks

Seabass22 

I suggest that you wait for a good price that can profit your investment. Do not sell in a losing price that is not a right business mindset. Bitcoin price affect other coin because bitcoin take the lead in the market. It act like a rule model in the crypto market. So every altcoin will follow the market movement that is why when bitcoin price goes up all altcoins will go with it too.
louie69

Activity: 322
Merit: 12

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 11:57:24 PM

Agree, altcoin price depend on the market movement of btc for every trend it will move either up or down since btc and altcoins are very much correlated with each other. I would somehow suggest that you hold your altcoins and monitor if there is an impact when btc is on the rise. If there is no improvement, perhaps it's time to look for another altcoin which is much more promising and sell the altcoins you hold.

❤   humancoin   ❤   Join our whitelist!      ❤   humancoin   ❤
██████                   A new era of charity                    ██████
▄ ▄ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  Telegram | Reddit | Medium | Twitter | ANN Thread | Facebook   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄
BitcoinPanther

Activity: 1918
Merit: 564

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 01:21:23 AM

Hi All

Many Thanks

Seabass22 

Hi there Seabass22!

You have a very valid fear there and cloud of doubts.

Though in theory, Altcoin exist in a different price bar than Bitcoin, there is still a lot of price relativity and interaction between the two as most token holders prefer to trade them with bitcoins (and is the norms in major exchanges too). Thus at the end of a trading day, we are left with bitcoin and not fiat currency alone.  In which, bitcoin effects the price of the amount of tokens we hold.

In return, should Bitcoin shoot up its value, Altcoins could be on the rise as well.  Yet again, remember that Altcoins are usually utility tokens that has its own demand and a specific altcoin can drastically lose its value even with the uphill of bitcoin.

Be wise on your altcoin investments, my piece of advise.
pretfeestje

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 01:44:55 AM

Here is my idea (could be wrong). Its sort of balance in the market. Altcoins are traded vs BTC and fiat at the exchanges independently. If you assume that at a point in time the price of an altcoin vs usd remains constant and BTC price increases someone would liquidate the position of an altcoin vs btc and that btc into usd and buy the respective altcoin vs fiat. That's why some alts vs fiat remain in the green while they are in the red vs BTC, when BTC moves up. Of course, when people see the red they liquidate the position altogether and move into BTC so they don't lose out. If you have a well-balanced portfolio with BTC and alts, in such case you will notice that the fiat value will not change that much whereas your BTC equiv. will decrease.
husnanparebok

Activity: 182
Merit: 43

Just Post Junk Posts

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 02:04:14 AM

My Advise :
Learn and learn the trade master advise above.
After you understand it, then ask yourself. I must I do?
You can decide to do what you think good
If you still confuse, do this...
Sell all your XLM and XRP, and buy ETH or BTC
And HODL them for long time.
Patient, sell both coin After price go to MOON
Because if you are Newbie, you must choose Safe Trading Method (and that's not day trading)

Hope you can get your money back and make. Profit

patz22

Activity: 1176
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 02:05:56 AM

It seems like traders are more focused in btc than altcoins because of that news about SEC. Yes, most altcoins depends on how bitcoin behaves in the market however I was thinking why altcoins didn't move that much when btc jumped from $7.4k to $8+ mark wherein usually most altcoins will pump as well especially eth.
Skizzewizzie

Activity: 81

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 02:39:11 AM

So when you buy your ETH using the ETH/BTC pair and BTC goes on a bull run, it makes your ETH (or any other coin paired with BTC) automatically go up in value as well assuming the price of ETH is the same. So in terms of strategy, it might make sense to trade your altcoins with the pair that is most bullish (or the least bearish) for that month of the major 3 pairs (BTC, ETH, USDT). However, the USDT pairs have the least liquidity. Hope that helps.
ajqjjj

Activity: 1498
Merit: 507

Not your Keys, not your Bitcoin

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 04:43:45 AM

Bitcoin is the father's of Cryptocurrency so all the altcoins are follow the Bitcoin way. But true reason is investors are buying Bitcoin and altcoin so once some bad rumours are comes in market automatically investors are panic selling in Bitcoin and altcoins so it is collapsed the entire market. It is the true factor of Bitcoin affects the total crypto market.

-support Bitcoin Community Bitcointalk.org-
Always verify wallet to store your Bitcoin
Donations are open, send PM
Seabass22 (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 05:10:53 AM

Hi Everyone,

Many Thanks for all your time and advice. I have got lots to think about.

Thanks again.

Seabass22
maldini

Activity: 952
Merit: 308

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 05:52:51 AM

I think you better be more patient, you are a beginner, your mental certainly not strong but try to practice to hold back emotions and believe the coins you invest will come back up, I also like you once but I continue to sharpen my mental and emotion
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 578

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 07:21:15 AM

based on what i have seen so far altcoins drop hard whenever bitcoin has a big rise OR a big drop. and i think in both cases it is because everyone abandons altcoins easily to go back to bitcoin which they all want and care about.
so if bitcoin started rising fast again, you may want to steer clear of altcoins, specially the top bigger coins that are tightly coupled with USD and BTC at the same time.

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
Klovezio

Activity: 350
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 09:55:34 PM

Hi All

Many Thanks

Seabass22 
give upon xrp. Xrp is totally overvalued. Now BTC is climbing but xrp price is staying at 0.55-0.45. And buy ETH at 430-450.
Maldini07

Activity: 205

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 11:08:53 PM

I think if bitcoin ETF is approved, it will affect the price of altcoin. when the trend of btc price is up the altcoin price will decrease to exchange with btc (btc vs alt) but if calculated in fiat (alt vs fiat) thats will also increase. the decline in trading vs btc its seem it also will not last long, so in my opinion it will bring in double profit.
this is just my opinion personally I do not advise to be followed, so trade with your way, listen and learn every growing rumor. good luck for you
Warry

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 11:18:30 PM

Hi All

Many Thanks

Seabass22 

IMO, with the current information that the SEC has refused to set up a fund related to the BTC, the BTC rate next time will decrease or slow down. You should, therefore, exchange from XLM / BTC and XRP / BTC to XLM / ETH and XRP / ETH. That would be a good choice because the ETH exchange rate at the end of the year would increase to $ 1,500.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: