Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:58:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: why mess around with alt coins, litecoin  (Read 3896 times)
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2011, 04:15:30 PM

Unfortunately not, I didn't read careful enough, my GPU power is obviously of no use for mining Litecoin Sad

I hope you understand how to run an exchange better than you understand how to mine litecoins...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CAMOPEJB

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 04:50:39 PM

Unfortunately not, I didn't read careful enough, my GPU power is obviously of no use for mining Litecoin Sad

I hope you understand how to run an exchange better than you understand how to mine litecoins...

+1

Also, if your exchange working with Litecoins too (http://www.vircurex.com) you can advertise it in Litecoin thread ;-)
allten

Activity: 455
Merit: 250

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 07:49:48 PM

Any chain prefering a single piece of hardware will just cause miners to purchase it instead, better cpu mining? stock up on dual and quad socket server boards, better gpu mining? get some radeons. It's not leveling any playing field the same people that could afford a pile of graphcis cards can afford a pile of xeons or opterons (depending on which arcitecture deals with it better)

+1

As soon as real money becomes involved. It is a game changer!
But maybe litecoin was more for just fun and not a widely used successful currency?
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 02:20:52 AM

As I understand it, the point is that you can mine both Litecoins and Bitcoins in the same rig. Since Bitcoins are preferring the GPUs, you then have the CPUs available to mine Litecoins using scrypt.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 01:47:40 PM

As I understand it, the point is that you can mine both Litecoins and Bitcoins in the same rig. Since Bitcoins are preferring the GPUs, you then have the CPUs available to mine Litecoins using scrypt.
You are right.

That's exactly what i am doing right now. GPU mining Bitcoin and CPU mining Litecoin.

Problem is, people mine litecoin only if they are worth something, but the fact that we can mine them on cpu won't make them automatically worth something.

Choad

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 07:48:51 PM

Problem is, people mine litecoin only if they are worth something, but the fact that we can mine them on cpu won't make them automatically worth something.

This is the biggest problem I see with litecoin.  So far, basically all you can do with them is trade them for bitcoin or usd.
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 09:05:59 PM

It's more than enough for me

dryden

Activity: 21

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 02:02:19 AM

You are right.

That's exactly what i am doing right now. GPU mining Bitcoin and CPU mining Litecoin.

What's to stop someone from adapting the scrypt algorithm from cpuminer into a GPU miner client for litecoin?  They could silently corner the market.
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 03:45:24 AM

What's to stop someone from adapting the scrypt algorithm from cpuminer into a GPU miner client for litecoin?  They could silently corner the market.

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/1305/what-features-of-scrypt-make-tenebrix-gpu-resistant
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 04:28:12 AM

One word answer... cache.

GPU have insufficient L1 data cache.  Scrypt is highly dependent on memory latency.  L1 cache is usually 1 clock latency.  Shared Memory on GPU is usually a 20+ clock cycle latency.  When you consider a GPU runs about 1/4th the speed (in MHz) compared to a CPU that is more like a 80x increase in latency.

Scrypt isn't GPU hostile that is an imprecise term.  Scrypt is small cache hostile.  Someday there will be a GPU w/ 32KB of L1 cache and will destroy so called CPU-only chains but ... not today.
dryden

Activity: 21

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 06:23:44 PM

@Explodicle, @DeathAndTaxes, Thanks.  I suppose I could've looked it up, but it didn't occur to me there was a deeper reason.
CAMOPEJB

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 08:38:07 AM

GPU have insufficient L1 data cache.  Scrypt is highly dependent on memory latency.  L1 cache is usually 1 clock latency.  Shared Memory on GPU is usually a 20+ clock cycle latency.  When you consider a GPU runs about 1/4th the speed (in MHz) compared to a CPU that is more like a 80x increase in latency.

Scrypt isn't GPU hostile that is an imprecise term.  Scrypt is small cache hostile.  Someday there will be a GPU w/ 32KB of L1 cache and will destroy so called CPU-only chains but ... not today.

Do you have some info when would it happen?
tradesteady

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 09:35:17 AM

thanks for the sharing indeed!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 01:29:54 PM

Do you have some info when would it happen?

No clue.  L1 cache is expensive in terms of die space.  Not really any need for L1 cache to do graphics work but as GPU are called upon to do more and more non-graphics work the demand for L1 cache will increase.  NVidia top of the line Tesla has 48KB of L1 cache.  Granted that is a $2K card so I doubt anyone has interest in using it for "CPU mining" still Moore's law has taught us that what is available for $2K today will be available for $100 eventually.
CAMOPEJB

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 01:59:40 PM

KK. I thought you did some research  Cool

It will be available for $100 eventually but the question is: which CPUs will be available then?  Grin
RaggedMonk

Activity: 308

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 12:54:24 AM

What rate can you mine litecoins at with average or top of the line CPUs?
CAMOPEJB

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 10:43:28 AM

8-16Kh/s

Check here:
http://liteco.in/threads/the-hardware-and-hashrate-thread.21/
RaggedMonk

Activity: 308

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 06:12:23 PM

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for.

I just downloaded the basic Litecoin client and left my computer on overnight mining.  When I click the "Start Mining" button, i get the messaged "Solo Mining Started", but I don't see any Kh/s measure or any indication that I am actually doing any work.  How can I tell if my computer is mining correctly?

Anyone have a recommendation of an easy-to-setup mining program and/or mining pool for litecoin?
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 09:51:45 PM

Use that pool http://pool-x.eu

And the miner you find on that site, look on top  Cheesy

pooler

Activity: 838
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 01:47:14 PM

Anyone have a recommendation of an easy-to-setup mining program and/or mining pool for litecoin?

You can compare mining pools here:
https://github.com/coblee/litecoin/wiki/Comparison-of-mining-pools

Almost all the pools listed above have a "getting started" or "help" page with detailed instructions.

BTC: 15MRTcUweNVJbhTyH5rq9aeSdyigFrskqE · LTC: LTCPooLqTK1SANSNeTR63GbGwabTKEkuS7
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: