Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:09:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: International Employment  (Read 2402 times)
RandyFolds (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 03:38:35 AM

Fellow bitcoiners;

I don't often seek advice from the intertubes, but I figure with such an eclectic mix of people here, it's worth a shot.

I have been running a successful aquarium service that I started when I graduated from college with a degree in marine biology for a number of years, but with the shitty economy, things have gotten progressively harder to eke out a living, and I am wholly burnt on running a small business.

To top that off, I have now been crashed into four times in the last 18 months, the first being a drunk driver that fucked up my back and left me with no feeling in my right hand, and the last two being this past week. I do not want to be in Los Angeles for a minute longer.

I guess I am sort of hitting mid-life crisis at 27... I want to get the hell out of the US for a bit (or forever). I lived in Panama for a year and a half, learned a ton of spanish and loved it, but bumming around hostels and drinking like a fish is not what I am going for this time around.

Anyone have any tips on finding a job -preferably in biology or marine biology- overseas or in central or south america? I'd even freeze my ass off in canada...I just need to change it up. Thanks in advance.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ParrotyBit

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 05:26:30 AM

Become an English teacher in east asia! You have a degree; you're set. Lack of language experience is preferred. They'll treat you good, board you near other expats, and you don't have to be in it for the long-run.
RandyFolds (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 06:09:30 AM

Become an English teacher in east asia! You have a degree; you're set. Lack of language experience is preferred. They'll treat you good, board you near other expats, and you don't have to be in it for the long-run.

I am trying to avoid teaching english, but if it's the only way I can get out of here, I am happy to do it. I need to find a place off the beaten path though. I would rather not be surrounded by expats. I am not above bathing in a river and sleeping on the ground...I have done if for months in the past. My only real concern is paying my goddamn student loans and taking my dog with if at all possible, so salary doesn't have to be big.
ParrotyBit

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 06:41:02 AM

I'm pretty sure the expat "enclaves" are much worse in Japan than they are in Guangzhou, so if it came down to it, I'd avoid Japan most of all. This may be a horrible generalization, but I have never gotten a chance to speak Japanese with a Japanese person aside from in college (they prefer English), while most Taiwanese and Chinese will constantly go back and forth between English/Mandarin with me. I think there are fairly active Korea and Taiwan threads over in A/T, though.
Bitbird

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2011, 09:24:52 AM

If you don't mind go to Taiwan, there might be some possibilities to find a marine biology related job. I'll be glad to asking / inquiring for you.

RandyFolds (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 05:49:57 PM

If you don't mind go to Taiwan, there might be some possibilities to find a marine biology related job. I'll be glad to asking / inquiring for you.

I would sell my soul to work on the water in Taiwan. Please do let me know if you hear of anything.
Bitbird

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2011, 08:47:18 AM

OK! Will reply ASAP if there're any news.

LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 05:20:32 AM

Find "Escape from America" newsletter online, it is filled with a combination of legit tips and leads, and a dose of nonsense, but if you are critical you can find some great data, and some very legit leads especially in Central and South America. I came within less than 5K BTC to buying an Argentine winery and scrapping the so called "good life" in the US. I am still shopping for the right venture, and I am toast...
Bitbird

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 09:42:56 AM

Humm.. very interesting. One of the solutions might be pooling some coin then set-up a biology or marine biology lab/business overseas or in Central and South America which provide service for BTC?

naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 12:27:30 PM

Get out of the west coast and you'll be fine.  Cheesy

astana

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 07:19:49 PM

You want some advice from an Australian who has traveled a long long time....Do what you want, be true to yourself and above all go for it. Traveling is what keeps me alive honestly, if I could I would be in Cuzco (Peru) working as a DJ/Bartender for $40 a week, poor but happy mate. Time doesn't stop sadly, only thing you regret in life is not doing something you wanted to and wasting time by thinking too much.
RandyFolds (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 01:21:04 AM

You want some advice from an Australian who has traveled a long long time....Do what you want, be true to yourself and above all go for it. Traveling is what keeps me alive honestly, if I could I would be in Cuzco (Peru) working as a DJ/Bartender for $40 a week, poor but happy mate. Time doesn't stop sadly, only thing you regret in life is not doing something you wanted to and wasting time by thinking too much.

Funny that you mention Cusco. I am interviewing for a job in Aguas Calientes next week.
JeffK

Activity: 350

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 03:13:01 AM

Fellow bitcoiners;

I don't often seek advice from the intertubes, but I figure with such an eclectic mix of people here, it's worth a shot.

I have been running a successful aquarium service that I started when I graduated from college with a degree in marine biology for a number of years, but with the shitty economy, things have gotten progressively harder to eke out a living, and I am wholly burnt on running a small business.

To top that off, I have now been crashed into four times in the last 18 months, the first being a drunk driver that fucked up my back and left me with no feeling in my right hand, and the last two being this past week. I do not want to be in Los Angeles for a minute longer.

I guess I am sort of hitting mid-life crisis at 27... I want to get the hell out of the US for a bit (or forever). I lived in Panama for a year and a half, learned a ton of spanish and loved it, but bumming around hostels and drinking like a fish is not what I am going for this time around.

Anyone have any tips on finding a job -preferably in biology or marine biology- overseas or in central or south america? I'd even freeze my ass off in canada...I just need to change it up. Thanks in advance.

Perhaps, after mistakenly smashing the aquarium of a male prostitute while he is out of town, you can work as a male prostitute yourself using his client list; only to eventually fall in love with one of them and live happily ever after.
RandyFolds (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 04:03:34 AM

Fellow bitcoiners;

Perhaps, after mistakenly smashing the aquarium of a male prostitute while he is out of town, you can work as a male prostitute yourself using his client list; only to eventually fall in love with one of them and live happily ever after.

Dude, that movie was based on my life. Why do you think I've gotta get out of here? I am running out of housewives.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2011, 06:46:35 AM

If I was not married and tied down, I would SO go for this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JET_Programme
Plenty of marine stuff there, too.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 07:02:31 AM

If I was not married and tied down, I would SO go for this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JET_Programme
Plenty of marine stuff there, too.

There's a lot of information on JET and private companies in this BFC thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2411698

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 01:31:59 PM

Try China, it has a lot of potential and with its growth, demand for all sorts of talents arise.
zer0

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 12:12:14 AM

Get your scuba certs and become a Scuba gear instructor/assistant or something in Mexico/Caribbean or wherever. Easy to do, pay is alright considering you get to live in the Caribbean. Always looking for people who can speak english to do this. Beware of working on any cruiseship.. there's a reason they are all registered in places like Panama so they don't have to actually pay you if something goes wrong, or even provide you with a crew toilet (my friend was handed a bucket on Carnival and instructed not to use passenger washrooms)

Forget China they are laying people off in droves. The shittier the American economy the less Chinese exports. Plus who wants to live in a country where executed dissidents are dumped in the street so body snatchers can nab them to resell to universities and questionable art exhibits run by Gunther von Hagens

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2011, 05:11:39 AM

Seconded. China has been screwing with their currency so long, they are practiccally on the brink of an economic collapse.
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 06:56:29 AM

Depends on where you go to in China, Shanghai and Beijing are still booming but the living expenses are getting steep.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: