Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:56:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling on Satoshi Nakamoto  (Read 2631 times)
dynodog (OP)

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:20:05 PM

Dear Mr. Nakamoto,

I know you're retired and all - probably sitting down to another episode of Duck Dynasty with a bag of cool ranch doritos in one hand and a diet squirt in the other - sounds great.  But, out here in bitcoinland the sh*t is hitting the fan.  You see, there's this fat f**k in Tokyo who is really doing some serious damage to your brainchild. 

Can you please come back and fix this sh*t before this great idea of yours dies an ugly death at the hands of Mr. Frappuccino, and then later the general public and subsequent media frenzies of "I told you not to go near that thing."  I hear that you're a tech kind of guy - I'm sure you can figure out a way to record Duck Dynasty on your DVR.

Anyway, I think you handed off the baton a little bit too early.  Mark Karpeles, on the board of the bitcoin foundation?  Mtgox, a gold member?  Seriously?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Respectfully yours in the blockchain,
The Bitcoiners

P.S. What was the reason for allowing a transaction to be modified prior to it being confirmed by the blockchain anyway?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin_Mafia

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 06:35:50 PM

Apparently I've been living under a rock lately. What's been hitting the fan in Tokyo?

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2198

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 06:38:28 PM
Last edit: February 20, 2014, 06:56:14 PM by bitcoininformation

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
DanielVG

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

I want free lunch, i'm gonna go with this guy.

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:39:00 PM

Apparently I've been living under a rock lately. What's been hitting the fan in Tokyo?

shit, diarrhea styled shit
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:40:38 PM

A local celebrity Mark K. hit a fan, that flew in all the way from UK to get an autograph, with a coffee cup. Busted him wide open. Now there's a lawsuit pending..

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:43:57 PM

This thread is stupid. As if satoshi could or should prevent people from forming foundations and then decide who can and can not join those foundations.

Bitcoin is fine, Gox and it's users are temporarily putting a bad taste in everyone's mouth. In time this will pass and Bitcoin will be better off because of it (if people learn to make better choices when it comes to picking an exchange and how they use it).

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:54:44 PM

This thread is stupid. As if satoshi could or should prevent people from forming foundations and then decide who can and can not join those foundations.

Bitcoin is fine, Gox and it's users are temporarily putting a bad taste in everyone's mouth. In time this will pass and Bitcoin will be better off because of it (if people learn to make better choices when it comes to picking an exchange and how they use it).

Yep!  Wink
zachcope

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:00:23 PM

Patience young ones.

Obi-Wan didn't wait until 5 years after Anakin turned to the dark side then pop up to try and fight the empire with Yoda.

He waited 20 years until he was really needed and the next generation needed his help.

I think Satoshi won't be seen until 2032, when he'll cryptographically reveal himself at the same time as helping a gifted young cryptographer that managed to crack a game Satoshi set up on the internet as a test, a bit like The Last Starfighter but for Hackers.

His intervention will help at a time of great global turmoil.

BTCBTCBTCBTC Cool

Bitcoin_Mafia

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 07:10:51 PM

A local celebrity Mark K. hit a fan, that flew in all the way from UK to get an autograph, with a coffee cup. Busted him wide open. Now there's a lawsuit pending..

Holy crow...that's some grade-A asshattery right there. I wonder if the lawsuit settlement will be in Bitcoin  Grin

Cloudpost

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:20:20 PM

Truly wise words. The sutuation with mtgox is just bad, but I'm sure it will make bitcoin even stronger and more valuable after all.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
mateo

Activity: 87

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:32:18 PM

Truly wise words. The sutuation with mtgox is just bad, but I'm sure it will make bitcoin even stronger and more valuable after all.

Beautiful words, but I don't see the wisdom. When MtGox goes down, the headline will be "The former biggest Bitcoin exchange went under, investors lost everything". That certainly won't help Bitcoin, neither in short or long term.

BTC to the moon!
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:40:06 PM

Beautiful words, but I don't see the wisdom. When MtGox goes down, the headline will be "The former biggest Bitcoin exchange went under, investors lost everything". That certainly won't help Bitcoin, neither in short or long term.

It certainly will in the long term. It will teach people (the hard way) to stop treating Bitcoin like traditional forms of money (leaving it in a "bank account"). It will teach them that if you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins. It will teach them to read the writing on the wall the next time they choose an exchange (Gox has been incompetent from the start, that should be clear to anyone who does even a tiny bit of research).

All of these things will lead to better informed users and more robust exchanges.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:13:14 PM

It certainly will in the long term. It will teach people (the hard way) to stop treating Bitcoin like traditional forms of money (leaving it in a "bank account"). It will teach them that if you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins. It will teach them to read the writing on the wall the next time they choose an exchange (Gox has been incompetent from the start, that should be clear to anyone who does even a tiny bit of research).

All of these things will lead to better informed users and more robust exchanges.

+1. Completely agree.

People need to really understand the idea of holding your own funds; how unique/breakthrough that is. Keeping non-trivial funds on Gox (or anywhere where you do not *solely* control the private key) is just unnecessary gambling; letting someone else control your money. Exactly what we're trying to get away from!

Further, I *hope* this triggers a movement for more transparency in bitcoin businesses. Bitcoin, like nothing else, allows for massive operational transparency. As customers of bitcoin businesses, we should demand best-practices of proving solvency through signing addresses, etc...

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:29:39 PM

Further, I *hope* this triggers a movement for more transparency in bitcoin businesses. Bitcoin, like nothing else, allows for massive operational transparency. As customers of bitcoin businesses, we should demand best-practices of proving solvency through signing addresses, etc...

Hey, imagine that! An exchange actually taking advantage of the properties of Bitcoin by allowing perfect transparency (at least on the Bitcoin side of things).

Why aren't exchange customers demanding this?

MasterMaA

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:32:05 PM

Hey, imagine that! An exchange actually taking advantage of the properties of Bitcoin by allowing perfect transparency (at least on the Bitcoin side of things).

Why aren't exchange customers demanding this?

Isn't Coinkite almost like that?
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:52:16 PM

Bitcoin is fine.... a company that has been horribly managed is finally on its way to going out of business.  Yes things might hurt in the short term in regards to the exchange rate of bitcoin to fiat , but overall this is a GOOD thing and NEEDS to happen.  Bitcoin has progressed too much for ameatuer style companies to be able to survive anymore , and thats fine.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
mateo

Activity: 87

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:55:54 PM

Yes, but I meant wider adoption of Bitcoin. It's gonna do a lot of damage to Bitcoin in the eyes of average Joes. It's doing that damage now, and the market price shows.

BTC to the moon!
tabnloz
Legendary

Activity: 961
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 09:23:31 PM

The revered George Carlin once said;

"The planet is fine. The people are fucked."

Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 09:24:18 PM

The revered George Carlin once said;

"The planet is fine. The people are fucked."

George was a smart guy.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 09:25:09 PM

Mister Nakamoto reporting to duty.
Sorry, I can not assist with your issue, goodbye.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: