Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:11:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Discuss: Do you think Gox is intentionally trying to damage BTC?  (Read 8340 times)
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 01:43:00 AM

2011: All Gox customer emails released onto the Net.
2011: Gox "Hack and crash" takes BTC all the way down to one penny ($0.01) & the mysterious account with over 500,000 BTC was never really explained.
2013: Mark K is exposed as having lied on Gov forms, and the Gov steals a huge pile of customer funds.
2014: ..on and on and on it goes...

Discuss:
Do you think "Mr Fancy Coffee" could be on the payroll of some dark Gov agencies?
MtGox has made BTC look risky, dangerous, unstable, unusable and Not Ready for Prime Time more than anyone else.*
*With help from a long line of crooks, hustlers, and con-artists.

Do you think Gox is intentionally trying to damage BTC?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 01:47:28 AM

maybe
leoragraves666

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 01:49:15 AM

I was thinking that from that april joke that happend on gox.

PC & Mac repairs
pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 02:00:28 AM

The way they attacked the Bitcoin protocol and the core dev team in their "withdrawal suspension" announcement was absolutely intended to hurt Bitcoin...

They were practically screaming, "run for the hills, Bitcoin is buggy and we're losing all your coins!"

When does a conspiracy theory become believable? After you've lost everything? Do they have to admit it for it to be the reality? There's just too many strange coincidences lining up to reach any other conclusion. Gox is sabotaging Bitcoin for somebodies personal benefit...

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1054

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 02:35:30 AM

2011: All Gox customer emails released onto the Net.
2011: Gox "Hack and crash" takes BTC all the way down to one penny ($0.01) & the mysterious account with over 500,000 BTC was never really explained.
2013: Mark K is exposed as having lied on Gov forms, and the Gov steals a huge pile of customer funds.
2014: ..on and on and on it goes...

Discuss:
Do you think "Mr Fancy Coffee" could be on the payroll of some dark Gov agencies?
MtGox has made BTC look risky, dangerous, unstable, unusable and Not Ready for Prime Time more than anyone else.*
*With help from a long line of crooks, hustlers, and con-artists.

Do you think Gox is intentionally trying to damage BTC?

Mr. Fancy Coffee lol...  When he was caught on video with that protester, there was no hiding that expensive drink!
zero3112

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:03:01 AM

What did they do with all them money everyone keeps saying they don't have any.  They would only need to have 1/10 of the cash on hand for all the deposits they owe to do arbitrage. Do this 2 times and you have 12/10 to cover the deposits.

We can go further even and say they only had 5% of the money left do arbitrage.  Do that a few times and your black again. How could they not be buying at their own exchange at these low prices and selling on the other exchanges. Each time you do this you gain 600% or 6 times the money so 5% x 6 = 30%.

Having only 5% money of what is owed to everyone can be used to do arbitrage 3 times and makes more then enough money to cover everyone.  That and all the fees they have been collecting from allowing trading to continue.

I don't understand these conspiracy theories around how Mt.Gox is bankrupt, or Mt.Gox was hack, or Mark Karpeles spent all the coins on coffee, or Mt.Gox is a scam and they ran off with the money. None of them make any since and none of them are rational. I think its a slim chance that their insolvent and even if they are it would not be that hard to make up the difference.

Everyone says all the coins are gone I not only find that offensive to the people who have coins in the exchange but illogical and irrational. All the things I mention above and the fact that they had cold storage just makes it more absurd on how they could get hacked and have all the coins stolen.

pungopete468

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:31:14 AM

What did they do with all them money everyone keeps saying they don't have any.  They would only need to have 1/10 of the cash on hand for all the deposits they owe to do arbitrage. Do this 2 times and you have 12/10 to cover the deposits.

Money doesn't just stop at $0... How much debt do you think they have/had?

We can go further even and say they only had 5% of the money left do arbitrage.  Do that a few times and your black again. How could they not be buying at their own exchange at these low prices and selling on the other exchanges. Each time you do this you gain 600% or 6 times the money so 5% x 6 = 30%.

They were likely selling on the other exchanges for quite some time since the forfeiture of their bank accounts. They have to pay debts to keep operating and the trading fees only go so far. That money they lost wasn't profit... That was their Gross. They lost the top line of their balance sheet.

Having only 5% money of what is owed to everyone can be used to do arbitrage 3 times and makes more then enough money to cover everyone.  That and all the fees they have been collecting from allowing trading to continue.

That's exactly what the "conspiracy" is about... They can't buy Bitcoins back from their own exchange with the proceeds of arbitrage as they sold the real coins on other exchanges; there aren't many Bitcoins left and it's a viscous cycle. The only thing they can do is pay out fiat and buy the "gox coins" which aren't Bitcoins.

I don't understand these conspiracy theories around how Mt.Gox is bankrupt, or Mt.Gox was hack, or Mark Karpeles spent all the coins on coffee, or Mt.Gox is a scam and they ran off with the money. None of them make any since and none of them are rational. I think its a slim chance that their insolvent and even if they are it would not be that hard to make up the difference.

Have you ever owned a business? Do you even know how narrow the margins are in real life? We're talking about Net Profit of less than 1% annul for this type of business. Businesses can fail for much less than this and do so every day all around you. Gox is only a few years old; do you honestly think they've been around long enough to grow the type of financial infrastructure that can absorb the scope of these losses? If they did then they must've paid off the initial investment in record time then...

Everyone says all the coins are gone I not only find that offensive to the people who have coins in the exchange but illogical and irrational. All the things I mention above and the fact that they had cold storage just makes it more absurd on how they could get hacked and have all the coins stolen.

The coins weren't hacked. They were re-appropriated into bailing out a sinking ship. When it became clear that the ship will sink and it's completely outside of their control, they made a plan; do you think they want to go to prison? They will pay their members out in fiat from buying all the "Gox coins" at far less than average value, most at less than $100 each. Nobody will get BTC back from Gox, and even the amount they sold in arbitrage likely won't cover the debts owed by the company. They will probably declare bankruptcy and everybody will have to deal with it and move on.

The best possible outcome that I can see here is that their users are at least reimbursed some fiat before they declare bankruptcy.

▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
zero3112

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 05:09:59 AM

You make it sound like they always have to do arbitrage just to run the business and pay for all expenses like employe wages and servers and the backed. They pay for this by the trading fees but then again if they have no money then the trading fees aren't really paying them anything but there own fake coins back.

I see where your getting at. They have little cash left they buy what little real bitcoins there is on their exchange when most of them are not there.  If they where to sell all of the bitcoins that where left on their exchange and move it to bitstamp or another exchange they would then be left with cash. Move the cash back to mtgox and now theres no way to buy the bitcoins back since there arent any really on mtgox.  So there are no bitcoins there to buy anymore since they sold all of them on bitstamp.  Its hard to explain but I think I get it.

They only can do arbitrage so much until there is in imbalance.  Sell some bitcoins on bitstamp get more cash buy the cheaper bitcoins on mtgox rinse and repeat but eventually you sold all the bitcoins with none left to arbitrage back on mtgox. So there would be no way to buy them back.

This must be the cause of not letting any deposit or withdraws go through the exchange it has squashed their cash flow.  There backed in a corner what would you do to get out.

If it is as bad as you say then yes I agree there's no way out for mtgox its a vicious circle.

Can you explain how they got backed in a corner you said they weren't hacked. This would lead to my assumption that they where not generating enough money from fees to pay for their business. So the business was unprofitable why it didn't stop there is the part I don't understand.  They could have shut down right there and pay everyone back in full.  It looks like they decided to continue operating and if they did they would have had to use customer deposits to pay the expenses to run their business.  
Theoretically if they did this since we don't know if they did they would hit the point where they spent so many customer funds that they destroyed their initial capital to the point where they don't have enough money to run anything or even cover customer withdraws or ever be able to pay to run the site any more to generate the fees to pay of the debt.

Now the fees don't actually give mtgox any more coins or fiat. The customer fiat stays the same in their bank account and the bitcoins in their wallet stay the same and don't change.  The only thing that changes is the mtgox exchange ledger for your account.  And the only thing that can happen is customers trade and fees deplete their balance owed to them in their ledger on there account.  Thus mtgox would only owe you less because of the fees but the money in fiat and bitcoin stays unchanged. I see that just the ownership is what is changing and who owes who how much.

All of that can be said in one word insolvent.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 05:11:45 AM

The way they attacked the Bitcoin protocol and the core dev team in their "withdrawal suspension" announcement was absolutely intended to hurt Bitcoin...

Admitting any responsibility on their own part would have opened them up to even more potential legal shit than they're already in.

MtGox has always operated with a dangerous mix of arrogance and incompetence.  That has led them into one situation after another where they've come off second best, losing funds in the process.

Bitcoin can afford for an exchange to fail, even one as big as MtGox.  It's the circumstances of their failure which have the potential to have a wide impact on Bitcoin generally.  If they fail merely because their business decisions have resulted in insolvency, that will have a limited impact on Bitcoin in general.  It might lead to demands for increased transparency on the part of other exchanges, but that would be a good thing.

If MtGox goes down due to regulatory or AML issues, though, then all exchanges are in jeopardy and using an exchange at all would be playing the same kind of Russian roulette which dark market users have been playing ever since SR1 was taken down last year (only to lose funds on one dark net market after another).  

Bitcoin is so speculation driven that it would be severely affected if people started to believe there's no such thing as a safe exchange, but speculators leaving the market could well be the turning point many have been hoping for where Bitcoin is used primarily for transferring funds and purchasing goods and services rather than attracting people because of price volatility.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
pungopete468

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 05:52:57 AM

You make it sound like they always have to do arbitrage just to run the business and pay for all expenses like employe wages and servers and the backed. They pay for this by the trading fees but then again if they have no money then the trading fees aren't really paying them anything but there own fake coins back.

I see where your getting at. They have little cash left they buy what little real bitcoins there is on their exchange when most of them are not there.  If they where to sell all of the bitcoins that where left on their exchange and move it to bitstamp or another exchange they would then be left with cash. Move the cash back to mtgox and now theres no way to buy the bitcoins back since there arent any really on mtgox.  So there are no bitcoins there to buy anymore since they sold all of them on bitstamp.  Its hard to explain but I think I get it.

They only can do arbitrage so much until there is in imbalance.  Sell some bitcoins on bitstamp get more cash buy the cheaper bitcoins on mtgox rinse and repeat but eventually you sold all the bitcoins with none left to arbitrage back on mtgox. So there would be no way to buy them back.

This must be the cause of not letting any deposit or withdraws go through the exchange it has squashed their cash flow.  There backed in a corner what would you do to get out.

If it is as bad as you say then yes I agree there's no way out for mtgox its a vicious circle.

Can you explain how they got backed in a corner you said they weren't hacked. This would lead to my assumption that they where not generating enough money from fees to pay for their business. So the business was unprofitable why it didn't stop there is the part I don't understand.  They could have shut down right there and pay everyone back in full.  It looks like they decided to continue operating and if they did they would have had to use customer deposits to pay the expenses to run their business.  
Theoretically if they did this since we don't know if they did they would hit the point where they spent so many customer funds that they destroyed their initial capital to the point where they don't have enough money to run anything or even cover customer withdraws or ever be able to pay to run the site any more to generate the fees to pay of the debt.

Now the fees don't actually give mtgox any more coins or fiat. The customer fiat stays the same in their bank account and the bitcoins in their wallet stay the same and don't change.  The only thing that changes is the mtgox exchange ledger for your account.  And the only thing that can happen is customers trade and fees deplete their balance owed to them in their ledger on there account.  Thus mtgox would only owe you less because of the fees but the money in fiat and bitcoin stays unchanged. I see that just the ownership is what is changing and who owes who how much.

All of that can be said in one word insolvent.

The point where the fees became inadequate was when the FBI seized their USD bank accounts containing 5 million USD. The accounts weren't filled with Gox profits; they were filled with the total USD trade volume of the entire exchange at that point in time...

When you think of an exchange, think about millions of dollars flying from hand to hand between accounts. Gox only gets a tiny portion in fees and the greater the trade volume the greater the income for Gox. Essentially, each time the ownership of that $5 million total USD in the account is shifted around between users, Gox gets to keep a small amount. The amount that Gox keeps is used to pay employees, security, insurance, electricity, maintenance, taxes, licenses, all sorts of fees, basically every operating expense of Gox comes from this relatively tiny amount of that total. If you've ever owned a business you'll understand that it's absolutely mind blowing how expensive it is to run even a small to medium sized business; especially in the first 5 years as you attempt to pay off your investments...

I can only speculate about how they've lasted this long but I know for certain that a business won't run forever in a deficit.

Either they were selling assets (Bitcoin) to pay for operating expenses, or they were taking on additional investors and selling company ownership rights. It's not the latter so where then do you think they got the money to pay for the insanely high operating expenses that come with business?

The actions they've taken recently speak more truthfully about their actual circumstances than their words ever will.

That being said, Bitcoin should never be reduced in stature to merely the value of it's exchange for fiat. Bitcoin is stronger now than ever with an intensely bright future... So much is right around the corner.

It's almost time to rip off the Band-aid and just move on.

▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 05:58:12 AM

At this point I'll openly say that this is likely the explanation for what is happening. They have caused damage in the past,yes, but it is nowhere as much as what they are doing now.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ZooKeeper74

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 06:11:20 AM

Satoshi = Ariel Sharon
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 09:54:35 AM

Absofrickinlutely!

Does the moon orbit the earth?
Does earth orbit the sun?

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
corebob

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:41:10 AM

I'm not so sure.
Anyone can set their own price on their own coins.

Could it be that they are trying to generate fiat as fast as possible in order to pay angry customers?
davida

Activity: 585
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:41:57 AM

No one has ever mentioned the fact that coinlab.com are basically trying to sue them for everything they have got...

If i was in marks position.... I would probably do the same, just try to milk the business dry one last time (probably running off with thousands of bitcoins bought at $100) then simply declare the business bankrupt.

So not only is he making sure he is comfortable for the rest of his life with shed loads of bitcoin bought on the cheap, he also gets to put two fingers up to coinlab.com and tell them that they get nothing.

Also, i noticed they have downsized there office (for security reasons apparently)... more like mark is shit scared of meeting some proper angry holders at his entrance, so he has moved back to the tower block that has security at the doors.
Mrrr

Activity: 617
Merit: 528

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:43:12 AM

I think it is time to tax the Cypriots and use the funds to bail Mark out.

burp...
tskweres

Activity: 123

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 11:03:53 AM

I think they're insolvent, period. Whether through sheer incompetence and a ton of missteps, or some blatant criminal activity, either way it's bad for BTC and they need to step aside / try to make it right.

Travis Skweres
CEO - Coin Market
https://www.coinmkt.com/
The Fat Miner

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Please give me Bitcoins so I can buy more food

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 06:02:26 PM

I think he's took a backhander from a few big boys to crash the price so they can buy as many coins as possible before it skyrockets again this year, KNC are shipping their new units in march and I have no doubts it will increase the price dramatically.
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 06:57:11 PM

There is no doubt in my mind that Mt. Gox has had a clear track record of negligence. And I wouldn't be all too shocked if Mt. Gox used this "negligence" as a cover for their shady activities (or that negligence was due to their shady activities).

But I can't say that they are intentionally trying to damage BTC at the moment. I think they still have aspirations to become even filthier in riches and damaging BTC doesn't align with that. I'm more inclined to think they are continuously creating an artificial arbitrage that they can take advantage of whenever they need more money.

Regardless, Mt. Gox's activities have affected the BTC landscape for the worse and we'd all be better off without them. Frankly, whether they are doing it intentionally or not doesn't matter to me.
zero3112

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 09:25:37 PM

Does anyone know if this bitcoinbuilder.com works for trading your GOX bitcoin for Real bitcoin?

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: