Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:43:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Centralized exchanges and the next BitCoin... (MtGox related)  (Read 1287 times)
yavorssj (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 05:17:15 AM
Last edit: February 21, 2014, 05:38:35 AM by yavorssj

First time poster here...

I was just thinking about this whole MtGox thing... It seems that there is really bad price discovery between the crypto/fiat worlds.

BitCoin came about as a decentralized way of doing business, trading ideas, and the like...

Is there not a way we can have a decentralized way of doing price discovery and get away from the centralized exchanges? Maybe not a new coin, but rather a patch that can be added onto BitCoin? Maybe? If not, would a new coin be needed?

It just seems that the idea of a centralized exchange defeats the whole point of the crypto currency concept.

Now, I am not a coder, so I have no idea how to implement it... But if is not possible to patch Bitcoin, a new Crypto Currency is needed, and someone runs with my idea of a decentralized crypto exchange, please call the new trading unit a YAVORSK, instead of a Satoshi    Grin

This is my white paper  Cool

Steve

edited for grammar...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Indemnified

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 05:26:44 AM

There are several projects in development.

See bitshares, ethereum, ripple, mastercoin, and others.
hostmaster

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 05:27:46 AM

I was just thinking about this whole MtGox thing... It seems that there is really bad price discovery between the crypto/fiat worlds.

BitCoin came about as a decentralized way of doing business, trading ideas, and the like...

Is there not a way we can have a decentralized way of doing price discovery and get away from the centralized exchanges? Maybe not a new coin, but rather a patch that can be added onto BitCoin? Maybe? If not, would a new coin be needed?

It just seems that the whole centralized exchange idea defeats the whole point of the crypto currency concept.

Now, I am not a coder, so I have no idea how to implement it... But if is not possible to patch Bitcoin, a new Crypto Currency is needed, and someone runs with my idea of a decentralized crypto exchange, please call the new trading unit a YAVORSK, instead of a Satoshi    Grin

Steve
You thinking wisely Steve. Agreed. decentralized crypto exchange what we need now!!
yavorssj (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 05:44:53 AM

I see where what you are saying... But do we want to go the alt-crypto route, or try to bootstrap BTC?

BTW, I have no dog in this fight. I have over 300K Doge and about 0.01 BTC. I am new to the whole alt currency scene and just want to see it succeed. Smack-downs like are happening because MtGox did not see the obvious coming do no good... I am just brainstorming over a few Guiness here.
waxwing

Activity: 469
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 05:49:36 AM

I see where what you are saying... But do we want to go the alt-crypto route, or try to bootstrap BTC?

BTW, I have no dog in this fight. I have over 300K Doge and about 0.01 BTC. I am new to the whole alt currency scene and just want to see it succeed. Smack-downs like are happening because MtGox did not see the obvious coming do no good... I am just brainstorming over a few Guiness here.

They are not all based on altcoins. If you a do a search for "P2P exchange" on this forum you will find days' worth of reading on people's ideas.

PGP fingerprint 2B6FC204D9BF332D062B 461A141001A1AF77F20B (use email to contact)
ShawnLeary

Activity: 518
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 05:52:56 AM

It just seems that the idea of a centralized exchange defeats the whole point of the crypto currency concept.

Steve

edited for grammar...

I believe NXT will be the first crypto to have a peer to peer exchange built into the client. 

edit- Offspring Client is preparing to add that feature.

"We have the power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine
waxwing

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 05:57:12 AM

I believe NXT will be the first crypto to have a peer to peer exchange built into the client. 

edit- Offspring Client is preparing to add that feature.

P2P exchange for fiat is what actually matters if we want to avoid relying on exchanges like Mt Gox. I presume what you're describing does not include that?

PGP fingerprint 2B6FC204D9BF332D062B 461A141001A1AF77F20B (use email to contact)
yavorssj (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 05:57:41 AM

Well, it looks like I have some bedtime reading to catch up on... Whatever the solution, it has to be P2P. From 10,000 feet up, I do not see why a P2P exchange would have to be "attached" to BTC directly. I also think a totally alt-coin solution that puts BTC to bed would be a phyric victory in the end.

Regardless, I will dig in and see what I can see. Whatever I find, I will update here. Everyone else, feel free to post links here so the ideas flow for all...
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 05:57:51 AM

Steve

edited for grammar...

Bitcoin isn't really what is holding back decentralized exchanges. Fiat is preventing them. How do you transfer fiat in a decentralized manner while verifying amounts and transactions and then put all of that information into a database where you can safely trade it for Bitcoins? Figure that out and let us know!

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
yavorssj (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 06:12:23 AM

Bitcoin isn't really what is holding back decentralized exchanges. Fiat is preventing them. How do you transfer fiat in a decentralized manner while verifying amounts and transactions and then put all of that information into a database where you can safely trade it for Bitcoins? Figure that out and let us know!

Find out a way to link your fiat bank account directly to your crypto wallet? Or even better, develop a wallet that can hold multiple currencies, crypto AND fiat...

Now, getting that past the SEC, Treasury Department, or FED...  Shocked
waxwing

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 09:34:53 AM

Bitcoin isn't really what is holding back decentralized exchanges. Fiat is preventing them. How do you transfer fiat in a decentralized manner while verifying amounts and transactions...

Please take a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=173220.msg3903951#msg3903951

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: