Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:39:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet problems  (Read 218 times)
Cris71 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 10:28:49 AM

Dear all, I’m not a pro and need your urgent advice.
My computer was in repair after it came back I realized that there was a wallet backup on the desktop (I couldn’t prevent because my laptops screen was not working and the laptop needed a new motherboard).
All the rest of my data was stored on an external drive.
As the laptop came back I started bitcoin qt. everything was there, the correct balance and the past transactions.
It started syncing since it was at 73%, very slow but it would sync. 2 days later i shutter down bitcoin properly to facilitate a Skype call, since then when I start it wont connect to the peers. It would just stay trying.
Since my laptop is pretty full I took another MacBook Pro to see if that works to solve the issue.
I copied the whole bitcoin folder (with all the data) from the external drive to the new desktop. Though when I start bitcoin qt, there is an error message with the notification that the directory needs to be rebuild. When I do so, the wallet opens, I can see all the past transactions but the balance would be at 0. Also he would connect to peers properly and starts syncing from 0%. When I go back to the other MacBook Pro using the external drive, I still would see the correct balance but it still wouldn’t connect to peers.
I’m a bit worried, that my balance gone? What can I do for solution?
Thank you very much for any advice!
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 11:44:56 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2018, 12:05:25 PM by AdolfinWolf

If you’re really worried that your balance is gone, check the/an adress which previously (or probably still in this case) was used to store your funds in a blockexplorer like https://BTC.com, and see if it’s still there.

The reason that you don’t see any balance on your other PC with the same wallet is probably because it hasn’t synced far enough yet (The wallet doesn’t yet know which UTXO belongs to you),or the data that IS available is corrupted, as you say yourself.

I’m not entirely sure what the issue could be here, but it probably won’t hurt to make a backup of your wallet.dat (the file that holds all the keys), and reinstall/resync core completely on your new/other computer (without moving all the other data, since there might be something wrong with it, corrupt etc as i said above)

Edit: I see you just mentioned your PC is pretty full. How full exactly? Without pruning you’ll need atleast 150GB for core to function correctly.

See https://bitcoin.org/en/bitcoin-core/features/requirements

Cris71 (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 12:07:01 PM

Thank you so much for your advice.
Sorry for my ignorance but how do I do that?
“If you’re really worried that your balance is gone, check the adress which previously(or still in this case probably) was used to store your funds in a blockexplorer.” I mean where and how do I find that address you are talking about?
 I’m tegarrs to the other point, I would have everything directed into an external storage which would still have one terra free. On my MacBook Pro I would have 5 gigs free (out of 500) but always get a notification that my storage is nearly full. 8gig ram. On the second computer I would have 16ram and it would open everything considerably faster.

Thanks again!
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2018, 12:17:53 PM

Since you can see all the past transactions, you can check the receiving address of your latest transactions and enter this into a blockexplorer (e.g. https://www.blockchain.com/explorer).
If you can see the correct balance, you are fine.

Anyway it is still advised to move all of your funds to a new wallet.
You can either dump the private keys for each address inside the core console with this command:
Code:
walletpassphrase "yourWalletPassword" 300
dumpprivkey 1YourAddress123

Or let core sync and then send all your funds via core to your new wallet.

Cris71 (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 04:30:15 PM

Hi I tried as you advised. This is not so clear to understand. If I put my original receiving address it opens up a page sayin on top balance at 0. Down in the tab of transactions I see 2 addresses one is of a transaction I did 2014 and the second address is pointing out the number that looks to be the balance after my transaction. If I click on this second one I enter a new page on top the balance is again 0. On the transaction tab I find 2 addresses again. One is the previous balance of the previous page and the second address is a second transaction I did in 2017. If I now click on the top one that again should be the remaining balance after the second transaction it opens a third page. This time the balance is not 0 but actually what I should have in my wallet.
Can you help one last time? Thanks
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 06:44:15 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2018, 06:55:02 PM by AdolfinWolf

That adress is probably the change (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Change) adress of the transaction that you made, but it’s kind of hard to say w/out actually seeing the adress. (Is it possible that you could post it here?)

Besides knowing if you still have your funds, What exactly do you still need help with? Did you succeed exporting your keys as bob suggested? (I guess not?)

Cris71 (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 07:59:10 PM

Thank you for your answer. Yes after w whole day immersion into bitcoin infos I start to get a picture how it works and how to read block explorers (gosh it’s simple once you get it but drives you crazy when you don’t).
I haven’t tried exporting the Keyes yet since I’m trying to resync core in the hope that at some point my coins will reappear. I’m case I export the keys please one more question. Do i copy and paste Bobs command into the console exactly as it is or are there part of the line I have to replace with my data?
Thanks again!
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16655

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2018, 08:10:43 PM

Do i copy and paste Bobs command into the console exactly as it is or are there part of the line I have to replace with my data?
You have to replace parts with your data. But, if that isn't obvious, I think it's better if you don't mess around with private keys.

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 09:45:32 PM

Just wait for it to sync. Don't do anything until that process is complete and after it is complete you won't have to do anything.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2018, 06:45:58 AM

Without being sure which of your addresses do hold your (complete) balance and without being very tech-savvy, you definitely shouldn't mess around with your wallet if waiting for core to sync is a viable option.
But you may should do at least one thing - backing up your wallet.

You can find your wallet file (named wallet.dat) inside the data directory of core.
If you have installed it as proposed by the installer, your data directory (windows) can be found under C:\Users\USERNAME\Appdata\Roaming\Bitcoin (note: USERNAME has to be replaced with your actual username).

You can also open this directory by pressing your WIN-key and R. Then enter %APPDATA%\Bitcoin into the field.

Just make one copy (or two) of the wallet.dat into another directory (e.g. your desktop) and you will be fine if you accidentally mess up with your wallet file later on.

Cris71 (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 03:50:06 PM

Guys, I got my balance back in my wallet. Thank you very much for your support.
Very much appreciated, warm regards!
jrrsparkles

Activity: 2394
Merit: 261

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
August 02, 2018, 07:18:25 AM

Guys, I got my balance back in my wallet. Thank you very much for your support.
Very much appreciated, warm regards!
That is good to know bro  Smiley

Better lock this thread and mark the tittle with resolved to stop from further replies.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀