Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:39:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: STO or ICO?  (Read 23575 times)
OVA|official| (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2018, 10:32:46 AM

Guys, what's the difference between STO and ICO? STO - security token offering. Some say that STO has other legal consequences, in contrast to ICO. Security token becomes like a stock share, unlike a token issued on ICO. Is it right? What do you know or think about it? Personally, my opinion is that STO does not differ from the ICO.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tuthienloc92bk

Activity: 364
Merit: 34

Fast, Smart, Trustworthy

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 01:12:04 PM
Merited by mirakal (1)

Guys, what's the difference between STO and ICO? STO - security token offering. Some say that STO has other legal consequences, in contrast to ICO. Security token becomes like a stock share, unlike a token issued on ICO. Is it right? What do you know or think about it? Personally, my opinion is that STO does not differ from the ICO.
Hi there. In essence, both STO and ICO are capital mobilization from the investors. But when it comes to "token", "ICO" is mobilizing capital through the sale of "utility token", while the STO is mobilizing capital through the sale of "security token".

The nature of 2 "token" is different:

Utility tokens can be created by anyone and are not subject to legal constraints. When the issuer of the token goes bankrupt or scam, the biggest loss is to the investor.

In contrast, the security token is bound to the publisher's assets and is governed by the law. When the issuer declares bankruptcy or commits fraud, they must liquidate all assets associated with the security token and return it to the investor as a percentage of the token they hold (like stock). At the same time, they are subject to legal action if they abuse their tokens. So investors will be protected when investing in security token.

That's all my opion.
criptogenious

Activity: 350

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2018, 06:37:00 AM

Security token offering (STO) enables company to create token value from an external trad-able asset. ICO's has recently used to raise funds by offering virtual coins / tokens to investors. ICOs are similar in nature of crowdfunding. Crowdfunding are usually considered donations where as investor of ICOs gets returns on investments.
ivlvov

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

CRYPTASSIST.io

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 06:55:46 AM

STO is actually a new, improved version of the ICO. It has been made due to the large number of ICO scams in recent times. The main difference is that STO investors become a full co-owner of the project that will allow you to save your money in any case.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER     》  CRYPTASSIST               |▌  [   ICO HAS STARTED    ▶  JOIN NOW!   ]
            THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD           ⚫  WIN A TESLA ROADSTER!   ))
Telegram   /  ANN   /  Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /  WhitePaper   /
Tipstar

Activity: 1764
Merit: 280

Smart World Global Token

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 07:09:01 AM

STO comes with legal accordance and hence the team/project/company seems to be more dedicated and the project has larger chances of success which brings larger profit to the investors. People can easily sue STO's for fraud in worst case scenario.

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
CONFIRMED

Dr.2x

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 03:55:19 PM

The main difference between STO and ICO is the type of token they are offering. STO allows customers to buy tokens as part of a public offering, similar to what a ICO does. But, these STO tokens are backed by a tangible element, such as assets, profits or even revenue in a company. It is more like holding shares of a company just in a different way
Nat77777

Activity: 89

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 03:56:52 PM

In feel way out of the loop as I have never even heard of a STO!
BluRPie

Activity: 896
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 03:59:58 PM

ICO (Initial coin offering), TGE (Token generation event), STO (Security token offering), etc. All this definitions are non official and mean Token Sale. Change of title it is marketing.
just_Alice

Activity: 1274
Merit: 622

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 04:20:12 PM

No, it's not the same thing. ICO is a type of decentralized crowdfunding system that can offer either security or utility tokens, so basically STO is a type if ICOs. Security tokens are prohibited by the US SEC (because most of them don't comply with the laws of security), these are the kind of tokens that pay dividends, share profits, pay interest or invest in other tokens or assets to generate profits for the token holders (examples: tZERO, Polymath). Utility tokens, on the other hand, aren't prohibited by the SEC, but you have to follow their regulations (that's the kind of tokens you are most likely familiar with, like Ether).
delightme

Activity: 224
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 04:26:11 PM

STO  or ICO  both of them are capital mobilization from the investors. STO allow customer to create token value from and eternal trad-able asset and also buy tokens as part of a public offering, ICO is also mobilizing capital through the sale of utility token.
jefrystar

Activity: 67

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 05:53:25 PM

Difference is between their token I thin one’s provide utility token and another is security token.
hermanjones18

Activity: 308

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 04:21:06 PM

The difference between STO and ICO is the token they are offering. STO allows customers to buy tokens as a public offering, just like an ICO. But, STO tokens are backed by a tangible elements, such as assets, gold, shares of an organization.
NyxAssasin

Activity: 83

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 04:28:57 PM

these both are different thing I guess ICO has better position in the market so will most of the users will suggest you to invest on it but I will say first analyzed the market then decided where you want to invest. taking suggestions from others is not always a wise move
cryptosmith03

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 04:43:27 PM

In the crypto market, as far as I know, Security Token Offering or STO is just a hotcake for now which is not ever swallowed as this concept has launched but there is not any STO in crypto space. If there is I would like to know, please! And ICOs are very known in the market and come up with legitimate, fake, scam and famous tokens. STO may be possible when a govt. launches any.
Mr. Art

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

HiveNet - Distributed Cloud Computing

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 04:52:28 PM

ICO (Initial coin offering), TGE (Token generation event), STO (Security token offering), etc. All this definitions are non official and mean Token Sale. Change of title it is marketing.

absolutely agree with you mate
this is just a kind of marketing strategy, just a different words but has the same meaning

MeaglesMind

Activity: 181

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 05:08:22 PM

I think the Security Token offer is like ICO. But STO works like stock shares. I think that there is no such difference as these two are near. Both are very promising and safe.
cryptoking963

Activity: 116

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 10:09:34 PM

STO is like holding stocks of a company and are more secure than holding ICO tokens. Launching an ICO is comparatively easier than launching STO since it has to follow some legal constraints. If ICO companies goes bankrupt then it doesn't have to compensate the investors but STOs that declare bankruptcy must liquidate the remaining assets to pay back the investors.
YuginKadoya
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 10:25:59 PM

No, it's not the same thing. ICO is a type of decentralized crowdfunding system that can offer either security or utility tokens, so basically STO is a type if ICOs. Security tokens are prohibited by the US SEC (because most of them don't comply with the laws of security), these are the kind of tokens that pay dividends, share profits, pay interest or invest in other tokens or assets to generate profits for the token holders (examples: tZERO, Polymath). Utility tokens, on the other hand, aren't prohibited by the SEC, but you have to follow their regulations (that's the kind of tokens you are most likely familiar with, like Ether).

Well either way they have the same concept of using decentralized tokens, That you can earn from an investing through the companies itself, Well the only thing STO might be secure because of the need of compliance to the law of its security, But then again as you have said most of them don't really comply to that term and ending up a fraud, Well I am not quite familiar with STO, I am just elaborating what you have just explain here and would keep track if there is a need for security tokens, But I might say I still like ICO even though there are some of them ending up running with the investors money or ending up creating shit tokens instead.
YNAGS Team

Activity: 220
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 10:45:20 PM

I was hearing many thought about that ICO needs to be regulated in order to become more secure and less opportunities to scam people using it, so possibly it is a way to perform that, and it is mandatory...
VanDeinsberg12

Activity: 1540
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 10:53:38 PM

That's right, the developer tries to create such a marketing trick through use TGE and they said that it can't be called as security because those investors are giving their money as charity and that's a joke man.

.......[url]CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS...........[URL].....►  C O M I N G   S O O N.....
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: