Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:31:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nvidia more efficient to mine scrypt?  (Read 4970 times)
j0achim

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 10:12:01 PM

The build cost is equally cheaper.

Where i buy my components which is not nearly as cheap as many other country's i come up with a 1,91Kh/s per $ for  for a nVidia setup where as i get 2,1kh/s per $ for a AMD setup (all expenses included). heat = more space required or heavier cooling, these cards also run a lot colder than what AMD does as well as reports are that cards barely get upto 65 degree, and heat is something that is very hard on AMD as they easily run upto 90+++ unless you have a ton of fans and space between the cards.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:21:50 PM

Anyone in this thread actually running more than a few cards?

I am currently trying to run 22x amd 280x cards. The basement where these are running is now almost 30 degree Celsius. And I'm hashing SHA3 which creates a fraction of the heat scrypt does. Not to mention the amount of power all of this draws. with the 280x's i have a watt to hash ratio of 2,6. So my 5,8kw is roughly giving me 15mh/s on scrypt where as with nvidia rigs (that by the way is cheaper to build) with equal power usage i could get 28mh/s. Anyone who dont see the math why the profit margin is very much in favour of nVidia needs to do a reality check. Because 45kw power a year is not exactly cheap.

This is a game changer! stop being fanboys were in the profit business not fanboy business!
Accusing others of being fanboys just because they are discussing, is also unwarranted. Take this rhetoric elsewhere please.

Did you undervolt your cards?

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
j0achim

Activity: 41

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 10:27:47 PM

I did not intend to offend anyone, so I'm sorry if anyone felt offended by that.

But seriously, tables have turned. initial investment in $ per # is closely the same as building a AMD rig yet you can save 50% of the power, which in the long run is where your main expense lies.

(yes of-course i undervolt my cards, anything else would be insanity)
Wipeout2097

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:35:16 PM

I did not intend to offend anyone, so I'm sorry if anyone felt offended by that.

But seriously, tables have turned. initial investment in $ per # is closely the same as building a AMD rig yet you can save 50% of the power, which in the long run is where your main expense lies.

(yes of-course i undervolt my cards, anything else would be insanity)
Oh indeed, on tables turning when considering hash/W, I can see that coming.

██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 06:51:30 PM

The problem is that there are no high-end Maxwell cards, and there will not be any until later this year.

Nvidia will not build high-end Maxwell cards using the 28nm node, it will wait for TSMC’s 20nm high-performance node, which is almost ready, but not quite. It should be ready for full-scale production sometime in the second half of 2014.

However, by the time Nvidia launches high-end GM200 series products based on Maxwell, AMD will also transition to 20nm with a tweaked Hawaii architecture, so it shouldn’t have much trouble maintaining its lead in the GPU mining niche.

source: coindesk.com
NameTaken

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 06:54:07 PM

In the second half the year, ASICs will also be entering the market.
baka

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 06:55:09 PM

The problem is that there are no high-end Maxwell cards, and there will not be any until later this year.

Nvidia will not build high-end Maxwell cards using the 28nm node, it will wait for TSMC’s 20nm high-performance node, which is almost ready, but not quite. It should be ready for full-scale production sometime in the second half of 2014.

However, by the time Nvidia launches high-end GM200 series products based on Maxwell, AMD will also transition to 20nm with a tweaked Hawaii architecture, so it shouldn’t have much trouble maintaining its lead in the GPU mining niche.

The problem with that is that nvidia is already more efficient using 28nm on maxwell.

ShareCoin Free and Fair Distribution. Sc8XY5PmHK1NJ2DNvJhS82AQVFwMGimX8w
Wipeout2097

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 08:20:30 PM

The problem with that is that nvidia is already more efficient using 28nm on maxwell.
I'm yet to see evidence of this

██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████

██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Prima Primat

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 09:52:15 PM

Evidence is in the OP. Huh
GTX 750/Ti is a 28nm Maxwell card.
ewhenn

Activity: 59

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 09:56:57 PM

So:

$150 to mine 245kh? <-- nVidia
$320 to mine 700kh? <-- AMD 280x

How is that better? I dont get it.

$35-40 to mine 200-210kh <---- used 5770s.  Every one of them I have (5) mine at 850+core/1200 RAM @ 1.000 volts.
Wipeout2097

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 10:12:15 PM

Evidence is in the OP. Huh
GTX 750/Ti is a 28nm Maxwell card.
These 2 reviews contradict themselves:

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/NVIDIA-Coin-Mining-Performance-Increases-Maxwell-and-GTX-750-Ti

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/176785-nvidias-new-maxwell-powered-gtx-750-ti-is-hyper-efficient-quiet-a-serious-threat-to-amd/3

Also, look at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=395004

██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████

██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
InCoinsITrust

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:14:31 PM

are those 750ti cards already available, anyone can confirm that they are so good at mining? How about sha 3 mining, not scrypt ?
SolidStateSurvivor

Activity: 553
Merit: 500

Solo Miner Legend

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 11:53:48 PM

This 750 Ti came out now? 7970 came out what Dec 2011??! lol, you f**king kidding me?!? 3 years playing catch up and can't even beat it at price, or hash per sec?

Dream on.

are those 750ti cards already available, anyone can confirm that they are so good at mining? How about sha 3 mining, not scrypt ?

They are, for abour €130 each, but they have no PCI-E power connector or anything on the card, so you have to provide one if you want to have more than 1 or 2 on a motherboard.

Founding member of Hashmeisters Inc...
InCoinsITrust

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 08:15:14 AM

Hom much kh/s did it get? How it performes with sha-3 coin maining ?
Sounds like an awesome card, it is cheap to get PSU on that system, only expense more than regular rig would be raisers.
ANJULE

Activity: 61

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 08:49:38 AM

Any info about the hash-rate difference between 1Gb and 2Gb models?
1Gb is around 125€ and 2Gb is +150€

CoinWare.eu - Just started an online-store that accepts BTC!
For now only few items, but more to come! Shipping allover the World by Express-mail.
Europe: 3-6workdays| USA: 4-7workdays | Rest of the World: 4-11 workdays
ghur

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 09:08:46 AM

So:

$150 to mine 245kh? <-- nVidia
$320 to mine 700kh? <-- AMD 280x

How is that better? I dont get it.

Actually, there have been speeds up to 340kh on the 750 Ti.
And without going to extremes easily breaking the 310 barrier.

It's not a huge difference at that point.

All these are still pretty preliminary either way until people have figured out how to get the most out of these cards like they have for AMD.

doge: D8q8dR6tEAcaJ7U65jP6AAkiiL2CFJaHah
Automated faucet, pays daily: Qoinpro
ANJULE

Activity: 61

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 11:04:35 AM

How easily can you install cudaminer in litecoinBAMT? Or is it even do-able?
Or are there any linux-os's that work as good from usb-stick like BAMT?

CoinWare.eu - Just started an online-store that accepts BTC!
For now only few items, but more to come! Shipping allover the World by Express-mail.
Europe: 3-6workdays| USA: 4-7workdays | Rest of the World: 4-11 workdays
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 12:00:47 PM

Just stumbled upon this article. 60 watts - 242kh/s. No power connectors required.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/02/20/nvidia-is-about-to-steal-the-cryptocurrency-mining-crown-from-amd/

I see now the thread is in the wrong forum. If there is a moderator, I kindly request that you move it to the appropriate board. Thank you!
That's great news for me as I'm looking to re tool my mining operation as my Radeon HD6950,as much as I love it for the impressive hash power (484Kh/s),it's showing it's age and developing issues (I think that running it 24/7 for 2 years has worn out the card due to wierd glitches showing up now-unexplained crashes,black screens when I try to overclock now,pink squares appearing) meaning that I need to replace that card soon.

I've got 2 options for improving mining operation (for contract selling):
1.Buy 2 of these cards plus new mobo/CPU/RAM (as current system doesn't support multiple GPUs as it lacks multi-GPU chips/capabilities-using a mobo from 2007 after other machine was sold off)
2.Retire the PC,buy ultra cheap NUC style PC off eBay (frees up my Mac for filmmaking work.NUC will host ASICs with hub) and buy up a lot of DualMiners as the noise/heat/power use is a big problem where I am.Other people don't like the noisy computer so ASIC is the option.

I'd also like to add that 60W for 242 or 280Kh/s as I once saw with a moderate overclock is quite impressive meaning that 2 cards will give me around 484Kh/s to 560Kh/s for only 120W total while my HD6950 gives me 484Kh/s and uses 220W+ which is amazing how things have developed so quickly from Nvidia. Smiley

Edit:Pressed Save before finishing my post by mistake.

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
ToScA-

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:06:46 PM

750Ti is a budget and low-power card and it is already at 285 khash. That's because of the new Maxwell architecture used in the card. Imagine the higher end cards NVIDIA will release with Maxwell and where the mining power can go. AMD is back to the drawing board again.

Why would AMD be going back to the drawing board? Are they specifically designing their graphics cards to target miners?

No-one buys AMD GPUs for gaming - really, mining is the only reason anyone would buy an AMD card.  nVidia's cards and drivers are better than AMD's, always have been.

Now that the mining niche is gone, there's really no good reason to buy AMD.

This simply isn't true.
SolidStateSurvivor

Activity: 553
Merit: 500

Solo Miner Legend

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 01:49:26 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2014, 02:08:39 PM by SolidStateSurvivor

2.Retire the PC,buy ultra cheap NUC style PC off eBay (frees up my Mac for filmmaking work.NUC will host ASICs with hub) and buy up a lot of DualMiners as the noise/heat/power use is a big problem where I am.Other people don't like the noisy computer so ASIC is the option.

I'd also like to add that 60W for 242 or 280Kh/s as I once saw with a moderate overclock is quite impressive meaning that 2 cards will give me around 484Kh/s to 560Kh/s for only 120W total while my HD6950 gives me 484Kh/s and uses 220W+ which is amazing how things have developed so quickly from Nvidia. Smiley

Buy one of these, awesome machine and performance, about €280 new, http://www.asus.com/EeeBox_PCs/EB1036/#specifications
Or one of these with SO-DIMM DDR3 + HDD/SSD, even better, http://www.asrock.com/ipc/overview.asp?Model=IMB-150

Well, my €140 7970 gives me 620-630 KH/s on just 180-190 Watts, underclocked.

Founding member of Hashmeisters Inc...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: