Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:05:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting Bitcoin and Bitcoin info into hands of Occupy protesters  (Read 3463 times)
bearbones (OP)

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2011, 07:33:26 PM

BTCinch is putting together some educational Bitcoin flyers to distribute at Occupy protests. Bruce Wagner will be teaching classes on Bitcoin at the NYC Occupy on Saturday mornings. We're hoping that these flyers will be a useful tool in the class, as they provide basic info as well as funds for the class to use for test transactions.

The flyer will be split into three sections:

• What is Bitcoin?
            Focus on P2P nature and Decentralization
  • Bitcoin recovery QR code/url
            Student scans code, and is sent to recovery page for their Bitcoin
  • What to do with your Bitcoin
            Highlight products/stores accepting Bitcoin. Bitmunchies is giving all protesters 20% off and donating 10BTC to the class fund. If any other merchants are willing to give the protesters a discount or donations, let us know! We have limited space, but would like to highlight a few (3?) different options.

We could use help with this effort in a few different ways. We can use constructive input on text/images for the flyer. We can use help with classes and/or handing out flyers at Occupy movements. You can also donate Bitcoin to be attached to flyers in two ways.

Donate via BTCinch: https://www.btcinch.com/sendbtc/?mkey=0cD%23Dxs0eXJLwL4u&curcy=BTC
Donation address: 13eVavx6CVVynp2CBRk3wAbkKVmTGEsPm4

100% of the donated funds will be distributed at Occupy protests. If there are any unclaimed funds at the end of this effort, we'll donate them to the Bitcoin faucet.

We're also looking for a way to get water and food to the protesters. If you are willing to help us distribute these, or donate helpful goods, please post here. We contacted Feed The Protest, but have not gotten a response yet.

Feed Ze Birds Pay and get paid for tweets
Coinapult Send Bitcoins easily over email or text message
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nesetalis

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 08:38:58 PM

what is a "Recovery" page? O.o

ZOMG Moo!
bearbones (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2011, 08:44:49 PM

A page where one can recover Bitcoin. Kind of like the Bitcoin faucet, but integrated with a wallet service, so they can do it all from their cell phone. I'm putting together a generic recovery page this afternoon. In the meanwhile, I can send you a bitcent and you can recover it, so as to demonstrate the process. Smiley

FAtlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2011, 08:48:46 PM

Is Bruce Wagner going to teach the protesters how to pay for Thai ladyboys with bitcoins, or will that be part of a separate workshop?
bearbones (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2011, 08:53:01 PM

Is Bruce Wagner going to teach the protesters how to pay for Thai ladyboys with bitcoins, or will that be part of a separate workshop?

He's going to stick to educating them on Bitcoin. Perhaps you'd like to volunteer your own expertise on the subject? Tongue

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 09:22:14 PM

He's going to stick to educating them on Bitcoin. Perhaps you'd like to volunteer your own expertise on the subject? Tongue

My opinion is that Bruce Wager should focus on paying off the people who gave him what little money they had in the Bold Funding days (and the courts have decided he should in my understanding of things.)  When he get's that done, then get back to educating people about Bitcoin.

But it's a free country and as long as he is a free person he can do as he likes I guess.  I cannot honestly say that I consider him to be an inappropriate spokesman for the Bitcoin community at this point in time.  Sad as that may be...

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 09:50:14 PM

I cannot honestly say that I consider him to be an inappropriate spokesman for the Bitcoin community at this point in time.  Sad as that may be...

3 negatives in a sentence and a half  Wink

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
grod

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 10:56:42 PM

Took me 3 tries to parse that and I'm still not sure I got it right.

When I read the OP I was all like, "Wait, Bruce Wagner... As in the potential scammer Bruce Wagner?  That'll go over well once they google him some."
danman87

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 12:56:48 AM

Nope, how to setup your own online wallet site and have bitcoiners give you their money. Then run off with everything and claim you were hacked.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 01:16:41 AM

BTCinch is putting together some educational Bitcoin flyers to distribute at Occupy protests. Bruce Wagner will be teaching classes on Bitcoin at the NYC Occupy on Saturday mornings. We're hoping that these flyers will be a useful tool in the class, as they provide basic info as well as funds for the class to use for test transactions.

The flyer will be split into three sections:

• What is Bitcoin?
            Focus on P2P nature and Decentralization
  • Bitcoin recovery QR code/url
            Student scans code, and is sent to recovery page for their Bitcoin
  • What to do with your Bitcoin
            Highlight products/stores accepting Bitcoin. Bitmunchies is giving all protesters 20% off and donating 10BTC to the class fund. If any other merchants are willing to give the protesters a discount or donations, let us know! We have limited space, but would like to highlight a few (3?) different options.

We could use help with this effort in a few different ways. We can use constructive input on text/images for the flyer. We can use help with classes and/or handing out flyers at Occupy movements. You can also donate Bitcoin to be attached to flyers in two ways.

Donate via BTCinch: https://www.btcinch.com/sendbtc/?mkey=0cD%23Dxs0eXJLwL4u&curcy=BTC
Donation address: 13eVavx6CVVynp2CBRk3wAbkKVmTGEsPm4

100% of the donated funds will be distributed at Occupy protests. If there are any unclaimed funds at the end of this effort, we'll donate them to the Bitcoin faucet.

We're also looking for a way to get water and food to the protesters. If you are willing to help us distribute these, or donate helpful goods, please post here. We contacted Feed The Protest, but have not gotten a response yet.

bearbones,

If I give you a coupon code for BitBrew, would you be able to put it on the landing page supporters end up on after donating? Or is there another way you could get it to supporters?

Still around.
FAtlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 01:39:08 AM

Awwwwww man, I haven't been burned that badly since the time that one guy told me he was made of rubber, and I was made of glue.

Cry
pointbiz

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 01:53:54 AM

A page where one can recover Bitcoin. Kind of like the Bitcoin faucet, but integrated with a wallet service, so they can do it all from their cell phone. I'm putting together a generic recovery page this afternoon. In the meanwhile, I can send you a bitcent and you can recover it, so as to demonstrate the process. Smiley

At MtGox you can redeem private keys, so people could add funds to a MtGox account and go from there...

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
bearbones (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 02:36:02 AM

bearbones,

If I give you a coupon code for BitBrew, would you be able to put it on the landing page supporters end up on after donating? Or is there another way you could get it to supporters?

At last something constructive. Absolutely! Smiley

edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 02:53:49 AM

PM sent!

Still around.
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 03:38:28 AM

One idea that has been mentioned is a coffee stand... edd, do you think that can be set up? 

(BFL)^2 < 0
edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 03:48:25 AM

One idea that has been mentioned is a coffee stand... edd, do you think that can be set up? 

You mean physically handing out cups of coffee? I'm sure someone could do it but I'm afraid I'm not planning a trip to Wall Street at the moment.

Still around.
bearbones (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 03:57:12 AM

That would be a spectacular addition to the class, I think! Even if we could just brew a bit jug of coffee and charge 0.1btc for a cup, it would be a great opportunity to use Bitcoin in a sample transaction. Might just try this out in Denver, if I can find the time. Smiley

deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 03:57:41 AM

You mean physically handing out cups of coffee? I'm sure someone could do it but I'm afraid I'm not planning a trip to Wall Street at the moment.

In NYC you'd get arrested doing that without a vendors liscense

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
bearbones (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 04:03:17 AM

First they'd have to prove you were selling it. Might be worth getting arrested, if it forces them to legally recognize Bitcoin transactions as legitimate commerce. Smiley

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 04:07:26 AM

First they'd have to prove you were selling it. Might be worth getting arrested, if it forces them to legally recognize Bitcoin transactions as legitimate commerce. Smiley

Good idea, but you'd probably be arrested there merely for handing out the coffee for free. A) public safety hazard, B) no coffee license and C) undercutting the union coffee baristas. And man... if someone spilled the hot coffee on themselves, $1million lawsuit. America is the land of the free.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: