Because everybody mine there
Because I thought it invests the earned money in good anti-DDoS firewall
Because my friend told me
Because it has sound name
Because Tycho is a good man
Are there more pools!!??

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do you mine on deepbit?  (Read 8152 times)
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 11:34:03 PM

2 reasons for me:
1. compared to all other pools I tried, that's the one earning me the most, even considering the 3% fee
2. there's no correct PPLNS alternative IMO. There's an okay PPLNS pool, but I find its N too small: by the time I used to mine there, I could only mine during the day, and the small N meant that even though it was PPLNS I still wasn't paid if a block was found during the night. Plus it went down a couple of times. So, too much variability (paradoxically, much more variability than with deepbit).
The only pool I'd consider trying now would be a stable enough (uptime) PPLNS pool with N=at least 24h worth of shares.

Additionnally:
Slush has higher fee if you factor invalid blocks, and I really hate that score-based system that was terrible when I was mining with a very unpowerful GPU.
BTC Guild has a history of suspiciously terrible luck. Okay, now that's outdated since they enforce PPS. My new reason for not going there is thus: I just don't like PPS, pool owner takes away the "risk" of bad (and good!) luck at the cost of a huge fee: I prefer keeping the luck for a much lower fee.

If you like the idea behind PPLNS but dislike the high share-variance inherent to using a small value of N then perhaps consider trying a pool with using the double-geometric method such as eclipsemc.com or yourbtc.net.  Both of these pools have merged mining and 0% fee.  I can't speak for eclipsemc.com but yourbtc.net has been enjoying good luck in the last few days on both blockchains.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 03:31:14 AM

Why are you all so Anti-Deepbit?
Just wondering,
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 03:32:28 AM

I just don't like PPS, pool owner takes away the "risk" of bad (and good!) luck at the cost of a huge fee: I prefer keeping the luck for a much lower fee.
Why choose? You get the reduced risk of PPS without a huge fee at Eligius Wink
^ this.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 03:39:07 AM

It is a threat to Bitcoin, since it is close to (and has at times even attained) the 50% required to compromise the security of the network.

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 03:45:49 AM

It is a threat to Bitcoin, since it is close to (and has at times even attained) the 50% required to compromise the security of the network.

So you think Deepbit is plotting to take over the Bitcoin network?  To what end?
Sam

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 04:12:11 AM

Just because Deepbit may have had the ability, which has not been proven, it doesn't mean it has the intent to compromise the network.  If one really wanted to do what you suggest they wouldn't do it publicly, they would do it stealthily.

Anyway success doesn't equal nefarious intent.
Sam

Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 05:28:46 AM

I just don't like PPS, pool owner takes away the "risk" of bad (and good!) luck at the cost of a huge fee: I prefer keeping the luck for a much lower fee.

There are 0% PPS pools like abcpool.co which means you have zero risk as well as zero fees.
If you don't mine in such a pool then you either support other models for ideological reasons, or like to earn less money for some masochistic reason.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 05:46:57 AM

There are 0% PPS pools like abcpool.co which means you have zero risk as well as zero fees.
If you don't mine in such a pool then you either support other models for ideological reasons, or like to earn less money for some masochistic reason.

With PPS, fee or no fee, you mine at a flat rate.  So if, so called, luck is good you loose if it is bad then you win or least break even.

What do you call "ideological reasons"?

You get what you pay for.  There is no such thing as a free ride.
Sam

finway

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 06:31:01 AM

this simple, just habbit, people don't like change.

localhost

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 06:54:23 AM

What os2sam re-explained about PPS and keeping luck to oneself. On a side note Eligius really has some really messy site.

-
finway

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 06:56:00 AM

What os2sam re-explained about PPS and keeping luck to oneself. On a side note Eligius really has some really messy site.

I think Eligius is really cool, different taste.

localhost

Activity: 392

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 07:07:14 AM

If you like the idea behind PPLNS but dislike the high share-variance inherent to using a small value of N then perhaps consider trying a pool with using the double-geometric method such as eclipsemc.com or yourbtc.net.  Both of these pools have merged mining and 0% fee.
From the eclipsemc.com FAQ: "We are currently employing a modified proportional system with a score based system coming online very shortly." They don't say how that proportional system is modified. And then score-based looks just like Slush.
From the yourbtc.net FAQ: they explain that the value per share decreases progressively over time. That's just like Slush, except that the decay is over a set number of shares instead of a random one. What I like with PPLNS is that shares don't decay, they either count at their full value or don't count at all if we're past N.

-
freakfantom

Activity: 73
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 07:36:15 AM

I started to mine on deepbit, but quickly realised that there are many pools who pay more and use advanced methods to calculate your reward. Just look at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Comparison_of_mining_pools
ZPK
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1021

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 08:16:10 AM

why this http://pool.itzod.ru/ pool did not found on your link?(

Novacoin POS mining only now
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 08:29:11 AM

why this http://pool.itzod.ru/ pool did not found on your link?(
Looks pretty localized. Is there a support thread on this forum for it ?

ZPK
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 08:42:50 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=44024.0 ... guys do not read/write on eng topic....and information can be old.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25127.0 ... rus topic.

support can be found in jabber. cool )

Eveofwar

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 08:46:20 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=44024.0 ... guys do not read/write on eng topic....and information can be old.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25127.0 ... rus topic.

support can be found in jabber. cool )

Code:
javascript:var%20t=((window.getSelection&&window.getSelection())||(document.getSelection&&document.getSelection())||(document.selection&&document.selection.createRange&&document.selection.createRange().text));var%20e=(document.charset||document.characterSet);if(t!=''){location.href='http://translate.google.com/?text='+t+'&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie='+e;}else{location.href='http://translate.google.com/translate?u='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie='+e;};

^^ translate current page to English Wink
ZPK
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 08:59:25 AM

?main of pool?.... if yes.....switch languages ​​on top (RU/EN) Google translate do not need.

Eveofwar

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 09:03:42 AM

?main of pool?.... if yes.....switch languages ​​on top (RU/EN) Google translate do not need.

http://pool.itzod.ru/faq.html

The FAQ...a pretty important section, has no English version.  Google translate = win.
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1358

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 09:30:38 AM

The FAQ...a pretty important section, has no English version.  Google translate = win.

I have some health problems at the moment. I'll translate this page, when I'll feel better.

P.S. GT is the generator of nonsense, and is not an option. Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: