Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 07:57:08 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea for new alt coin but no idea how to develop it...  (Read 459 times)
Bitcoin_Mafia (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 01:49:56 PM

Ever since I first discovered the wonders of cryptocurrencies (a whole six months ago...lol) I've loved the idea of these alt coins. Some are funny, some are odd, and some are very, very innovative. It got me thinking and here is what I came up with:

An alt coin where when you first set up your wallet, you select a charity from a list and every time you buy / sell / trade / purchase with the coin, a few bits of that transaction go to that charity. I could see something like VetCoin (to support military veterans), CharityCoin, PIFCoin (Pay It Forward), or something like that.

I don't have any idea how such a thing would even be developed but would love to be involved in the creation of it. I could build and promote the website (web dev and SEO are my 'day job'), contact charities to get them on board, etc...

Thoughts?

findgreenland

Activity: 93

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 02:10:43 PM

if that is the only feature of your coin, i guess it can't go any further than pump and dump.

Bitcoin_Mafia (OP)

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 02:16:09 PM

if that is the only feature of your coin, i guess it can't go any further than pump and dump.

Not sure why you'd say that. I think it's a rather novel idea and I think plenty of people would use a cryptocurrency that would allow them to support their favorite charity at the same time.

Anobix

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 02:24:41 PM

That's a pretty interesting idea. Of course you would have to be in contact with the different charities to see if they would even want their name to be associated with a cryptocurrency, then needing to explain to them what it is and what the benefits (if any) are. Of course, the coin by itself isn't really worth anything unless it eventually became exchangeable for BTC or a fiat currency (possible, but odds are not in your favor for the sheer number of alt coins).

The basics for the coin (from what I understand) amounts to how many blocks there are, what encryption algorithm you are using, how quickly the blocks can be found, etc.
cryptogaz

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:09:17 PM

I think this idea would work better if you target existing coins, and suggested a modification to the existing coins wallets.

So, bitcoin/dogecoin wallets could have a option that would send a small % of all your transactions to your chosen charity.
drippx

Activity: 539
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:12:40 PM

Charitycoin vs darkcoin, idk about that
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: