Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:26:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Satoshi really Steve Gibson from qrc.com? [dispute this gossip]  (Read 4934 times)
hazek (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 12:55:37 PM

Please dispute this gossip that someone is eagerly spreading on dailypaul.com where I made a post about BitCoins:
http://www.dailypaul.com/160149/bitcoins-the-digital-cryptocurrency-of-freedom

Attention!!
Submitted by troy on Wed, 03/23/2011 - 05:19.

My heart almost jumped out of my chest.

LISTEN

Steve Gibson of grc.com is a snake oil salesmen.

Gibson is an IT guru and exceptional programmer who got into spyware when the getting was good.

After having a fallout with real networks he teamed up with lavasoft and zonelabs to do what he's really good at:

Marketing.

This guy is familiar to many of us who hung out in certain internet circles 10 years ago.

He is the front man for an operation that both created spyware long before it became a household term, whilst making money by providing tools that could remove it. His coherts created an extremely successful firewall that spied on the consumer, and spent a great deal of energy harassing anyone who took notice.

I can tell with 100% certainty that this guy is the fox looking over the hen house type who's agenda has only been to spy on consumers and making money doing it.

The fact that he's still in the game and now marketing this
bitcoin thing speaks VOLUMES.

If anyone here has a strong computer background, I'd be happy to talk to you about his involvement with spyware and raw socket zombie bots, to name a few.

The reason he is so extremely knowledgeable on the subject is not just because he is obviously getting paid to market it. it's because he probably help program it in the first place.

The fact that google has signed on to this is even more bizarre.

Listen people. This is a real problem. This guy has some friends in some high places.

You can expect Ziff Davis Publishing magazines (such as PC World, et al) to ALL ENDORSE THIS PRODUCT in their magazines if they haven't already. That is because it's the same inner circle of people that helped push his snake oil a decade ago.

This BitCoins needs to be investigated.

Because if you knew what I knew about Gibson, then it would seriously redefine your hairline.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 01:03:27 PM

Please dispute this gossip that someone is eagerly spreading on dailypaul.com where I made a post about BitCoins:
http://www.dailypaul.com/160149/bitcoins-the-digital-cryptocurrency-of-freedom

Attention!!

My heart almost jumped out of my chest.

LISTEN

Steve Gibson of grc.com is a snake oil salesmen.

Gibson is an IT guru and exceptional programmer who got into spyware when the getting was good.

After having a fallout with real networks he teamed up with lavasoft and zonelabs to do what he's really good at:

Marketing.

This guy is familiar to many of us who hung out in certain internet circles 10 years ago.

He is the front man for an operation that both created spyware long before it became a household term, whilst making money by providing tools that could remove it. His coherts created an extremely successful firewall that spied on the consumer, and spent a great deal of energy harassing anyone who took notice.

I can tell with 100% certainty that this guy is the fox looking over the hen house type who's agenda has only been to spy on consumers and making money doing it.

The fact that he's still in the game and now marketing this
bitcoin thing speaks VOLUMES.

If anyone here has a strong computer background, I'd be happy to talk to you about his involvement with spyware and raw socket zombie bots, to name a few.

The reason he is so extremely knowledgeable on the subject is not just because he is obviously getting paid to market it. it's because he probably help program it in the first place.

The fact that google has signed on to this is even more bizarre.

Listen people. This is a real problem. This guy has some friends in some high places.

You can expect Ziff Davis Publishing magazines (such as PC World, et al) to ALL ENDORSE THIS PRODUCT in their magazines if they haven't already. That is because it's the same inner circle of people that helped push his snake oil a decade ago.

This BitCoins needs to be investigated.

Because if you knew what I knew about Gibson, then it would seriously redefine your hairline.

LOL, this is silly.  First of all, the whole spyware thing since the code is open-sourced and available for all to see, plus community maintained.  Second of all spyware-programming geeks are not typically masterful actors, which is what Gibson would have had to be to pretend he had just discovered bitcoin when he made that recording on SecurityNow--just watch it to see what I mean.  I think this troy guy may be just out of his depth, or possibly a person with schizophrenic or similar thought patterns trying to interpret a complicated world by finding connections where there are none.  I wouldn't be too hard on him--it's clear from his post that he doesn't really understand the topic in detail, and nobody chooses to have their mind overload on possibilities the way it does for many people--suffering from mental illness or not.

If troy understood bitcoin, he would realise that no matter how nefarious the intentions of the person who designed it, that person doesn't control bitcoin anymore than you or I do, so there's no way for bitcoin itself to be an evil scheme.  The person who invented may very well have been a connected, manipulative, baddy.  But if so, he or she accidentally invented a perfectly functional, secure, beautifully balanced digital currency.  I guess it could happen.  Not that it's relevant to the use of bitcoin by us, though.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 01:05:49 PM

I know I know I just though I should make a post so if someone who sees his comments over there does a search on this forum can find it and also read the opinions of people of this community.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 01:09:05 PM

Rubbish. I've looked over a fair chunk of the code trying to understand it (not all of it) and can assure you that it does exactly what it says.

And I doubt it was written by a programmer BTW. My thoughts is an academic of some sorts. satoshi is maybe a mathematician.
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 01:10:28 PM

I know I know I just though I should make a post so if someone who sees his comments over there does a search on this forum can find it and also read the opinions of people of this community.

No worries--by "silly" I meant the post you quoted.  Heading it off with a thread was a good call:  you should link it from that other board.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 01:18:28 PM

you should link it from that other board.

I'd like to get a few more responses disputing it first and then if that guy persists I'll definitely link it there.

Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 01:18:42 PM

I don't think these "Satoshi is the reincarnation of Jesus" rumors will ever end, unless Satoshi comes forward. But I find them quite amusing Cheesy

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Scorpion

Activity: 887
Merit: 516

Bitcoin OG

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 01:39:48 PM

>>Submitted by troy on Tue, 03/22/2011 - 23:51.
>>In fact, now I'm positive gibson is the author of the code because it's got his damn signature all over it. He's the only programmer in the world that religiously uses IRC protocol to push data around. That's his M.O.

Roll Eyes

That's his reasoning?

JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 01:58:44 PM

No way. He didn't come off as someone who understood Bitcoin very well in that podcast, so he couldn't be satoshi unless he purposely tried to sound less knowledgeable. Also spyware creation/prevention doesn't have anything to do with cryptography as far as I know so that part of the argument is worthless. People like theymos or gavin are way more likely to be satoshi in my opinion.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 02:04:30 PM

No way. He didn't come off as someone who understood Bitcoin very well in that podcast, so he couldn't be satoshi unless he purposely tried to sound less knowledgeable. Also spyware creation/prevention doesn't have anything to do with cryptography as far as I know so that part of the argument is worthless. People like theymos or gavin are way more likely to be satoshi in my opinion.

Steve Gibson definitely understood bitcoin.

CCCMikey

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 03:13:42 PM

He rakes in so much money with the elderly SpinRite program, and is so busy with other nicknacks, and is spooked about crypto disclosure possibly being forced on him for CryptoLink vaporware - I can't see he'd have the time or inclination Smiley
JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 03:31:50 PM

Steve Gibson definitely understood bitcoin.

Compare Steve Gibson's explanation to Gavin's explanation on that radio show to see what I mean.
SATOSHl

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 06:59:14 PM

I am not steve gibson. I write better code than him.  I am japanese!!! 
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 07:17:01 PM

I guess you think you're funny huh?  Roll Eyes

curator

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 07:26:20 PM

Wow. And, no.

Steve is the real deal and I've been listening to him for years on 'Security Now!'.  I do believe that if it wasn't for him, there would be scads more zombi-fied computers out there, and technology/R&D would have been hampered in its march to the future.

'troy' needs a new hobby.
ryepdx

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 10:44:13 PM

Attention!!
After having a fallout with real networks...

So many issues with what he's saying here.
gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 12:33:19 AM

Absolute rubbish. For one thing: he's too damn busy. Weekly podcasts, huge mailbag, and publicly viewable mailing lists! He can't develop two things at once. Plus he programs everything in Assembly Language (no really, even his webserver AFAIK), so there's no way he'd be so dependent on the technologies that bitcoin uses (I don't think he's ever released anything intended for non-Windows systems). Why would he wait until now to debut the program on his show when he demos everything he makes on the podcast as soon as possible. Why was he visibly and audibly ecstatic about finding his first block? Why would he admit that it has potential legal issues (assuming you guys think he is in it for the money, and isn't just running this giant conspiracy for kicks).

Anyone who can read all that and still think he is Satoshi is skilled in the art of tinhattery.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 01:58:54 AM

What a load of crap.

I didn't even bother reading after the "spyware" thing, LOL.

CryptikEnigma

Activity: 336
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 02:15:30 AM

I guess you think you're funny huh?  Roll Eyes

I thought it was pretty funny >.>
SteveB

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 02:30:26 AM

There is no way Steve Gibson wrote the bitcoin client!

If Steve had written the bitcoin client it would be:
- less than 100kb in size
- written in assembler
- cost $ 89.00
- no new version in 7 years
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: